Super cool computer tricks, for dopes like me.

squinney

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:27 am
Alt+ still not working here, but works in Word. Oh, well.

Norton - Those are some cool tricks! I could play with that all day and really mess with my kids! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:33 am
norton...your trick...

I guess I'm not doing it right.

Can you explain step by step again?

I have "notepad" on my programs, is that the same as "notebook"?

when I click on "save as" in notepad, the default extension is .txt, not .vbs.

explain it like your explaining to a 2 year old please.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:14 am
Chai, all you need to do is change the default ext .txt to .vps and that will make all the difference.

Nordon, that will be cool Twisted Evil , I like that website a lot, thank you very much for the link.
0 Replies

nordon

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:25 am
OK step by step:
1. go to start, programs, acessories, notepad - notepad is basic program for writing in windows, everyone has it
2. write: (or copy and paste it)

answer=msgbox ("is your name John?" ,4)

3. click "save as"
4. in "file name" insert:
whatever.vbs
no matter if default is .txt! simply delete .txt and write in .vbs
other things dont matter!
5. go to place where you saved it and 2x click it.
that is it if error appears, it says something like:

script: place where document is saved
line: number of line, where error was dectected
char: number of character (letter, number...) Where mistake is
error: What is wrong like "Expected sign ")""
code: some code
source: im not sure Confused

find the place where mistake is and try to fix it yourself. If you copied text from this post it should work, since i tried it out.

WARNING in my last post I have written:
msgbox ("Is your name John?" ,4)

THIS IS WRONG!
It should say
answer=msgbox ("is your name John?" ,4)

You can replace "answer" with anything you want, since it is only there as a name for returned information

Now I will write something larger:

answer=msgbox ("Is your name John?" ,4)
if answer=6 then
msgbox "What a wonderful name!"
else
fname=inputbox ("No? what is it then?")
msgbox ("Oh its " &fname)
end if

Now Ill explain it:
1. line: you already know it, but anyway! creates a message box with YES and NO the information that will be returned will be called "answer" because, we told it to be so with "answer="
2. line: I think you understand what this line means - if the answer on my question is 6 (6 means YES, 7 means NO) then... So I wont explain too much more "is" is always replaced with "=" we used "answer because we also used it in 1. line. But if we would use "info" instead of "answer" in line 1, we would have to use "info here too" get it?
3. line: this line doesnt have to be in new line. It can be written next to "else", but I always put it in a new line, since its easier to find it. It says what should happen "if answer=6" so now we have the whole sentence "if the answer is 6 (YES) than create a message box, saying "What a wonderful name!" I hope you understand it!
4. line: this line is short but very important "else" means: If its not. So we could also write "if answer=7 then" (7 means NO) but its easier and shorter if we use "else"
5.line: Now heres something new! "fname" is like "answer" but it indicates different information. "answer" means YES or NO, while "fname" means whatever you will write in the place, where you have to write the answer (in this case your name)You can change "fname" to whatever you want as well!
next is "inputbox ("No? What is it then?")"
that simply creates a box where you can input text with message "No? What is it then?"
6. line: here we have "msgbox ("Oh your name is " &fname)
"msgbox" means create a message box, "Oh your name is " is what the message should say and "&fname" means computer has to insert "fname"- the information you have entered in the last box.
7. line: the last line says "end if" this simply means THE END you have to put it at the end of text, or you will get an error.
So thats it!

I hope I explained good enough! Its quite complicated and im not that good at explaining stuff. Its also difficult, because I am not from england or any other english speaking country, and im also only teen! So im sorry for any mistakes at writing and dont be too angry if you dont understand it - it is complicated :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:33 am
nordon....oh, I didn't read the ,4 stuff carefully enough....

anyway, I don't have time right now, but thanks for the long explanation, step by step....I'll read and try tonight.

I don't ever deal with code, so it's a mystery for me.

This is going to be a learning opportunity for me. Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:24 am
nordon wrote:
OK step by step:
3. click "save as"
4. in "file name" insert:
whatever.vbs
no matter if default is .txt! simply delete .txt and write in .vbs
other things dont matter!

Actually, Notepad will append ".txt" and you will have "whatever.vbs.txt." You have to change the "Save as type" option to "All Files."
0 Replies

burningmind06

Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:00 pm
Cool Trick I picked up sometime ago-

When naming a folder hold alt then type 0160. It creates what looks to be a nameless file.

This second part may not be right because I did this so long ago I'm a little hazy on the details. I think when you name the file like that a blank icon is created in your icon folder. So if you right click on the folder or whatever it happens to be then go to properties>customize>change icon there should be a spot in between the normal icons select one of the blanks and then you get an invisible file.

This invisible file does have an Achilles Heal though. It is invisible, but still in the same spot it was at in the beginning. So you can still highlight it, delete it, change whatever.

P.S. Props to all those who contributed on the pop up messages! I always wondered how that was done.
0 Replies

meesa

Sat 1 Dec, 2007 07:52 pm
Okay, what's wrong with this?

answer=msgbox ("Are you allowed to be on this computer?" ,4)
if answer=6 then
frame=inputbox ("Who told you you were allowed?")
answer=msgbox ("O " &fname told you?")
answer=msgbox "Wasn't that nice of him?" ,4)
else
fname=inputbox ("No? Then why are you on it?")
msgbox ("I don't like that answer, leave this computer immediatly!")
end if

I see nothing wrong with it, it works fin if line 4 says ("O &fname. .
Why will it only work if there is no quote mark??
0 Replies

nordon

Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:53 am
Man... thats an old topic! But here is your script fixed:

answer=msgbox ("Are you allowed to be on this computer?" ,4)
if answer=6 then
fname=inputbox("Who told you you were allowed?")
msgbox ("Oh, so you were allowed by " &fname)
answer=msgbox ("Wasn't that nice of him?" ,4)
else
fname=inputbox ("No? Then why are you on it?")
msgbox ("I don't like that answer, leave this computer immediatly!")
end if
0 Replies

meesa

Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:07 pm
Ya, I haven't really read the other eight pages. Very Happy I found this forum with Live Search. And by the time I see that this is here, I finally had already figured it out Smile (I should really check back more often)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
burningmind06 wrote:

When naming a folder hold alt then type 0160. It creates what looks to be a nameless file.

This second part may not be right because I did this so long ago I'm a little hazy on the details. I think when you name the file like that a blank icon is created in your icon folder. So if you right click on the folder or whatever it happens to be then go to properties>customize>change icon there should be a spot in between the normal icons select one of the blanks and then you get an invisible file.

This invisible file does have an Achilles Heal though. It is invisible, but still in the same spot it was at in the beginning. So you can still highlight it, delete it, change whatever.

P.S. Props to all those who contributed on the pop up messages! I always wondered how that was done.

Why not just go to properties and select hidden? Then go to Tools in explorer and select view and select Do Not Show Hidden files.
0 Replies

meesa

Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:05 pm
although yes, you can do that, it's more fun to be able to do somthing like that. At least to me!

Save this a a .BAT
Code:
@echo off
echo Would you like to erase all data? (y/n)
pause
echo Are you sure you would like to delete all data (y/n)
pause
Erasing data. . . .

dir /s
echo Data erased, Windows will now shut down
pause

The dir /s will only do it a short time, for longer results, add more of them on seperate lines
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 7 Dec, 2007 11:19 am
Intrepid wrote:
burningmind06 wrote:

Why not just go to properties and select hidden? Then go to Tools in explorer and select view and select Do Not Show Hidden files.

it works if you want to show a nameless folder --

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5382/blankzw4.jpg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Fri 7 Dec, 2007 11:06 pm
Good point RP. Cool
0 Replies

meesa

Fri 7 Dec, 2007 11:17 pm
Umm, if anybody knows how to make it so the .BAT file opens in full screen, and it comes up as a procees insted of an application, that would be nice.

Also, does anybody know how to change the start button without Stule XP?

And, does anybody know how to disable the ????vidio card unless certain buttons are pressed togeather??
0 Replies

Sunny Khan

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:37 am
That's great

I already knew about this trick and it's very useful

there is software as well of screenshot if anyone wants than I am going to share with you people the link of SS
it's very little method rathan than this trick

I Wish that all the things are good for you:)

bye
0 Replies

meesa

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:03 pm
That would work maybe if you don't have Windows, but that probably will slow most computers, if you have Windows any version just press the "prtscn/SysRQ" button at the top right of the keyboard. If you have F lock, turn if off.
0 Replies

bigjmax

Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:51 pm
Check these two out
First of all i have more of the Alt secrets

Alt + #
Hold Alt while you type in any of the numbers below,to create a secret letter or symbol
1.Alt + 24558 = ε 2.Alt + 335588 = Σ 3.Alt + 6299 = ¢ 4.Alt + 123365 = σ 5.Alt + 4889 = ↓ 6.Alt + 4885 = §
7.Alt + 123556 = ñ 8.Alt + 123554 = ó 9.Alt + 477856 = á 10.Alt + 66589 = ↔ 11.Alt + 21667 = ú 12.Alt + 965544 = ¿
13.Alt + 9965 = φ 14.Alt + 966. = Æ 15.Alt + 123365. = å 16.Alt + 481 = ß 16.Alt + 998. = æ 17.Alt + 22154 = è

The circle item trick
go to www.myspace.com or another website and put in the code below
Make sure you let the page load fully before using this trick!

Code:javascript:R=0; x1=.1; y1=.05; x2=.25; y2=.24; x3=1.6; y3=.24;x4=300; y4=200; x5=300; y5=200; DI=document.images; DIL=DI.length;function A(){for(i=0; i<DIL; i++){DIS=DI[ i ].style;DIS.position='absolute'; DIS.left=Math.sin(R*x1+i*x2+x3)*x4+x5;DIS.top=Math.cos(R*y1+i*y2+y3)*y4+y5}R++ }setInterval('A()',5); void(0);
0 Replies

bigjmax

Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:03 pm
More info bout the circle trick
put the code on the adress bar...
0 Replies

iwant2know

Sun 10 Feb, 2008 07:28 pm
THANKS!
Thank you so much for how to do screenshot... ihave been wandering about that for a long time

also thanks for the code that is very cool anyone know any more of those??
0 Replies