Republicans - Then and Now

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:47 am
This thread is a branch from a discussion here which had turned somewhat away from the topic of the thread and towards the question of: has the Republican party become less what they used to be, and more of a Cult of Personality? I have stated that there is evidence that this is true and I will endeavor to show this.

To begin, the phrase which started it all provides us a great piece of evidence:

Grover Norquist stated:
Quote:
The base isn't interested in Iraq. The base is for Bush. If Bush said tomorrow, we're leaving in two months, there would be no revolt.

Thanks Bernie.

Norquist isn't some random Blogger or Pundit. He's been intimately involved with the 'Republican Revolution' of the 90's from the very start, and can easily be said to be an authority on the modern version of the Party. So, what does he mean, when he says the above?

It is my contention that what he means, is that the Republican party - which used to warn against governmental interference in public life, against the power of an unrestrained executive, which used to believe in limited government - has abandoned their former principles. Oh, they still trot them out every now and then, but they have very little to do with the actual formulation of policy.

To begin, here's a nice site which lists the official party platforms from election years for both Republicans and Democratic:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/platforms.php

I'm working on cataloging the shift in rhetoric displayed, but it will take me a while; in the meantime, I would like to ask my elders: have you noticed a change in the party over time? Do you believe that there is a greater emphasis on a strong Executive authority amongst Republicans than there used to be?

I will explore this issue a little further, and then go on to discuss the emotional impact of Bush and how his personality became a Personality amongst Republicans.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 705 • Replies: 19
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:26 pm
Looking forward to reading your take. -johnboy-
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:28 pm
It is difficult for me to have a real, objective view on this issue, as I didn't live through many of the years which my arguments purport to refer to. So I have a hard time imagining what the mood was like at the time, what was said, what was felt by Republicans; all I can find are official platforms, speeches and the like. This is nice information but I was hoping for some testimonials from people who have lived through it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:43 pm
Keep in mind that it's a lot easier to be for restraint in government spending and limitations on power when you're an opposition party. Once you're in power, there's a heck of a lot of temptation to engage in vote-buying and rewarding supporters and essentially swanning around like you own the place.

If you ask if this is something of a betrayal of their base principles, I -have- to argue yes. Ever wonder why the Republican enthusiasm for the coming election is pretty low? It's because the base is pretty disgusted with the Republican leadership. In a way, they're guilty of having incredibly bad judgment on when to compromise and when not to. A lot of the new spending is in areas where the base didn't really want new legislation, and would have been just as happy (happier!) without the spending. A lot of the scandals center on things which the Republicans would have been much better off doing openly, even brazenly, rather than trying to hush it up or deny it.

That said, I think that a lot of Republican supporters have reached the conclusion that it is no longer possible for the Bush administration to get a fair shake in the media. For these guys, in a lot of ways, it's simply not possible for news reports coming in to affect their perceptions of Bush. However, this isn't because they're kidding themselves about Bush's competence or honesty - they haven't turned themselves into Bush-supporting zombies. It's just a reflection of the media coverage of all things Bush over the last couple of years.

In a way, it's kind of sad, because lately some of those reports have some meat to them. But it's a kind of "cry wolf" situation - so many bad media reports have anesthetized the public to what would otherwise be good news reports. It's also bad because, essentially, it frees Bush from public feedback; he can point to those people who oppose him as people who would oppose him with the same fervor no matter what the actual facts were, and his supporters have essentially stopped listening to the news.

So you've got the wrong end of it. When Bush says, "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying Times?", it's not trust in Bush that's keeping him afloat, but distrust in the latter!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:09 pm
IMO, the mistake in your premise is in the assuption that all members of a political party are lock-step in thought and action.

There have always been factions within the Republican Party just as there are in the Democratic Party. Over time, different factions gather or lose strength within the party and they dominate for a period of time.

Goldwater and Nixon hated each other and Reagan was nothing like Nixon nor Bush I or Bush II. Similarly, there were huge differences between Kennedy, Johnson, Carter and Clinton.

While you seem to be putting a lot of stock in Norquist's statement there isn't enough in the original link to figure out the full context of what he's saying. What "base" is he referring to? Bush's base or the full Republican base? Personally, I doubt the "true believers" that support Bush no matter what, never cared about Iraq to begin with. Why should they revolt if there was a pull out now?

I think your desire to somehow extrapolate this into some mass shift amongst Republicans in general is a lot of wishful thinking.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:33 pm
First, welcome Avatar ADV to A2K.
I know, Cyclops, that you have thought about this topic long and hard before you posted and I look forward to hearing more about the topic.

But right now I pretty much agree with Fishin and am skeptical about your theory. But I am willing to listen.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:00 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
First, welcome Avatar ADV to A2K.
I know, Cyclops, that you have thought about this topic long and hard before you posted and I look forward to hearing more about the topic.

But right now I pretty much agree with Fishin and am skeptical about your theory. But I am willing to listen.

I am going to Tahoe for the next few days, and while we will have the internet in the cabin, my posting will be light at best.

In the meantime, however, I just wanted to clarify that the thrust of my argument does not revolve around Norquist's quote at all; it was merely the seed where the discussion began. Instead, I believe that the 'Trust me' form of government, the belief in a strong and overpowering executive branch, the lack of oversight - many of these are new things to Republicanism, at least as I understand it. Issues such as Nation Building, once eschewed by Republicans, are now embraced. Medicare part D, embraced. Gigantic increases in gov't spending under Republican rule, embraced. Either there has been a change in the nature of the party, or the party has been full of hot air on a lot of issues for a long time. I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of those who have claimed to be stalwart Republicans for a long time - it isn't my place to do so, and so the 'hot air' argument will not be adressed by me in this thread, I don't think it will be productive.

The reason I believe the 'cult of personality' comes into the modern age of Republican politics also has a lot to do with the turmoil of the 90's, the disgust many social conservatives and religious folk felt for Clinton's lies and indecency in the WH, the hotly contested 2000 election and, most of all, the fear they felt on 9/11 - all of these steps have added up over time to create a certain tension in the mind of the loyal Bush supporter.

I promise to get more in depth with each and every one of these issues. My purpose in this thread is to be educated by people who can teach me more about the history of what it meant to be a Republican - then and now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:24 am
The Republicans were a party in disfavor for a long while as a result of Herbert Hoover's mishandling of the Stock Market Crash in October 1927. The Great Depression of the thirties followed. WWII and FDR's New Deal helped pull the US out of the Depression with public works and armament manufacture. Harry Truman followed FDR's death. Ike steamrolled over everyone and this was the fifties postwar period. Rock and Roll appeared, Elvis, Hollywood was run by studio moguls and was perhaps the golden age. Many spectaculars were produced. The sixties came along with JFK and things went downhill. JFK was assassinated and LBJ came in with Vietnam War. The Beatles brought in drugs and long hair. Rolling Stones also came along. The Sound of Music ran for five years straight and James Bond arrived on the scene with Dr. No. Nixon came to the White House and brought religion and Republicans together with his Southern Strategy. There was the impeachment and ford took over. Carter was ruined with the Iran affair and Reagan became president but Republicans were still gentlemanly. Republican politics turned ugly with George Bush I and became worse with George Bush II.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:34 am
BM
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 03:40 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
In the meantime, however, I just wanted to clarify that the thrust of my argument does not revolve around Norquist's quote at all; it was merely the seed where the discussion began.

This is good. This Boston Globe Article pretty much explains away Norquist's comment anyway.

Quote:

Instead, I believe that the 'Trust me' form of government, the belief in a strong and overpowering executive branch, the lack of oversight - many of these are new things to Republicanism, at least as I understand it. Issues such as Nation Building, once eschewed by Republicans, are now embraced. Medicare part D, embraced. Gigantic increases in gov't spending under Republican rule, embraced. Either there has been a change in the nature of the party, or the party has been full of hot air on a lot of issues for a long time.

If that is the crux of your thread then I can save you a lot of time. Of course the Republican Party has changed. Society itself has changed. Why shouldn't the political parties that represnt that society change with it?

Take what has probably been the single most contencious issue over the last 40 years in U.S. politics - Abortion - as an example. You can't isolate the views of Republicans from the 1930s and compare them to the views expressed today without looking at the full context of what has happened in the legal landscape of abortion in between those years. I'd wager the issue of abortion wasn't mentioned in any Republican Party Platform until at least the 1960s. Prior to that point abortions was largely illegal in this country so there was no politcial incentive to limit or outlaw the procedures. Why would there have been? When politcal forces supporting abortion rights became prominent an opposing political forrce (social conservatives) became prominent as well and they forced the item onto the Republican Party agenda and platforms. Does that make the Party position abortion a "new" position? IMO, it'd be nonsense to make the claim. Prior to the rise of the abortion rights side the issue had been dormant in U.S. politics for decades.

Beyond that, some of you examples listed aren't changes but, IMO, your perception of recent events biased by your own political views. The Unitary Executive concept has been around and had it's limits pushed (by Presidents of both parties), even if it hasn't used that term, since the start of the country so to say that it is "new" is misleading at best.

To say the Medicare Part D is "embraced" is simple willful ignorance. If it were true that the plan was "embraced", you and your fellow "Progressives" wouldn't have any compaints about the system that was passed into law would you? And yet... so many still complain about it.

The Democrats had been pushing for a Medicare Drug Plan for better than 10 years (first introduced in the House in 1993). The legislation that created Medicare Part D wasn't passed in 2003 because it was "embraced". It passed because the Democrats had scared senior citizens enough that there was a public outcry for it and what passed was an appeasment out of political necessity. As you might recall the plan was roundly panned in the press and, at the time, many Republicans balked at voting for it because they thought te price tag was to high. They became even less enamored with it when they found out that the actual price tag was going to be much higher than what they had been told when they voted for the bill. Selctive memory doesn't benefit you. You mentioned several of these same items yourself 3 years ago right here on A2K.

Quote:
The reason I believe the 'cult of personality' comes into the modern age of Republican politics also has a lot to do with the turmoil of the 90's, the disgust many social conservatives and religious folk felt for Clinton's lies and indecency in the WH, the hotly contested 2000 election and, most of all, the fear they felt on 9/11 - all of these steps have added up over time to create a certain tension in the mind of the loyal Bush supporter.

Well, here you go off the tracks. To begin with, the "Cult of Personality" stupidity is just that. Look up the the theory means if you are going to try to use the term. Just because Paul Krugman uses it on occassion doesn't mean that it fits. Anyone that says that they honestly believe there is a cult of personality with Bush while he's in office with a mid-30 something approval rating and he's being clobbered in pretty much every paper in the country (if not world) is delusional. The concept could possibily be applied to JFK, Reagan or Clinton but trying to claim that it is applied to Bush is just pure fantasy. The term has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of your paragraph here at all.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 03:50 am
Cycloptichorn --

To a first approximation, you may safely assume that every public word of Grover Norquist is uttered to manipulate, not to inform. He will tell you about the Republican base whatever he wants you to believe it -- not what he thinks is true. Grover Norquist is worthless as a source of any information.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:02 am
fishin wrote:
I'd wager the issue of abortion wasn't mentioned in any Republican Party Platform until at least the 1960s.

I think you win that wager. In a recent documentary about Goldwater, they showed footage from an interview he gave in the 1980s. At one point, the interviewer asked: "What was your position on abortion when you ran for president?" Goldwater's answer: "I didn't have any. Abortion simply wasn't an issue in the elections of 1964." (This quote is from memory, so probably not literal.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:47 am
Interesting that you mention 1964.

Just for context in this thread, here are the 1964 Republican Party Platform and 1964 Democratic Party Platform.

The issues/positions that have remained constant and those that have shifted are interesting (to me at least!).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 10:26 am
Quote:

Beyond that, some of you examples listed aren't changes but, IMO, your perception of recent events biased by your own political views. The Unitary Executive concept has been around and had it's limits pushed (by Presidents of both parties), even if it hasn't used that term, since the start of the country so to say that it is "new" is misleading at best.

To say the Medicare Part D is "embraced" is simple willful ignorance. If it were true that the plan was "embraced", you and your fellow "Progressives" wouldn't have any compaints about the system that was passed into law would you? And yet... so many still complain about it.

It was embraced by Republicans, by which I mean, it was passed by Republicans, signed into law by Republicans, and the base continued to vote for the candidates. There were no negative consequences for any candidate passing a massive increase in entitlement, something which supposedly fiscal cons. are dead set against. The two positions do not match up. Your point about Progressives is immaterial to the discussion.

Quote:

The Democrats had been pushing for a Medicare Drug Plan for better than 10 years (first introduced in the House in 1993). The legislation that created Medicare Part D wasn't passed in 2003 because it was "embraced". It passed because the Democrats had scared senior citizens enough that there was a public outcry for it and what passed was an appeasment out of political necessity. As you might recall the plan was roundly panned in the press and, at the time, many Republicans balked at voting for it because they thought te price tag was to high. They became even less enamored with it when they found out that the actual price tag was going to be much higher than what they had been told when they voted for the bill. Selctive memory doesn't benefit you. You mentioned several of these same items yourself 3 years ago right here on A2K.

Mmm hmm. The Republicans didn't balk enough to not vote for it. No courage of their convictions.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, here you go off the tracks. To begin with, the "Cult of Personality" stupidity is just that. Look up the the theory means if you are going to try to use the term. Just because Paul Krugman uses it on occassion doesn't mean that it fits. Anyone that says that they honestly believe there is a cult of personality with Bush while he's in office with a mid-30 something approval rating and he's being clobbered in pretty much every paper in the country (if not world) is delusional. The concept could possibily be applied to JFK, Reagan or Clinton but trying to claim that it is applied to Bush is just pure fantasy. The term has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of your paragraph here at all.
[/quote]

The 'cult of personality' is what explains the blind devotion of the 30%, and the willingness for the rest of the party to take so many actions which were antithetical to their stated positions. It has nothing to do with Democrats at all.

I enjoy discussion, and welcome any and all views; but I disagree with your premise that I am off base. I have personally seen - and witnessed online countless times more often - people defend things which they shouldn't defend, unless they honestly consider loyalty to the executive to be far more important that logic or sense - and with Bush in particular, his faux 'country-boy' image has contributed to the perception amongst many Republicans that he is a 'good guy,' which forgives a lot of sins.

If you don't want to continue the discussion, you're more than welcome not to; I intend to continue to discuss the way the late 90's and turmoil of the '00 election primed the minds of some Republicans for the Cult, and 9/11 sealed the deal. Your criticism is not unappreciated but it certainly isn't enough to make me abandon my theory. Your opinion of the wisdom of this is immaterial to me. I invite you to share more history if you wish, but I won't spend much more time arguing basic premises.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:27 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I enjoy discussion, and welcome any and all views; but I disagree with your premise that I am off base.

I don't understand the "but" in this sentence. If people don't believe their respective correspondents are off base, what is there to discuss?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:37 am
Thomas wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I enjoy discussion, and welcome any and all views; but I disagree with your premise that I am off base.

I don't understand the "but" in this sentence. If people don't believe their respective correspondents are off base, what is there to discuss?

I suppose I interpreted his statement to mean 'there is no room for discussion on this subject, becuase it's crazy/stupid/other. I disagree with this premise. I'm more than willing to discuss many aspects of the history of the party, and I accept that people's opinions will differ. I'm just neither going to stop discussing it or take Fishin's word that the Cult of Personality doesn't exist.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:43 am
Fine -- then by all means, do debate the issue. What makes you think there is a cult of personality around Bush, in a sense that Democrats don't have a personality cult about Clinton or Kennedy, or Republicans don't have a cult about Reagan?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:54 am
Thomas wrote:
Fine -- then by all means, do debate the issue. What makes you think there is a cult of personality around Bush, in a sense that Democrats don't have a personality cult about Clinton or Kennedy, or Republicans don't have a cult about Reagan?

Because Bush (and the Republicans under his rule) keeps doing things which are antithetical to the stated goals of the party. And, I don't disagree with you at all about Clinton or Reagan, except to say that when studying their legacies I don't see as many contradictions with the traditions of the party as I do now - though this may in part be due to my limited historical perspective. Thus my request for information from my elders who actually did live through it.

Reagan is a good point - if his CoP grew up around his surviving the assassin's bullet, then Bush's grew from 9/11. I'll think about this more today.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:33 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Do you believe that there is a greater emphasis on a strong Executive authority amongst Republicans than there used to be?

Now here's a switch, some conservatives who actually believe in freedom. I didn't know there were conservatives out there who hated America and are pro-terrorist. I guess they don't listen to Fox Noise enough to understand what's happening in this world. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Conservatives for the Constitution

Just imagine if one of the leading candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination endorsed this radical agenda:

• End the use of military commissions to prosecute crimes.

• Prohibit the use of secret evidence or evidence obtained by torture.

• Prohibit the detention of American citizens as enemy combatants without proof.

• Restore habeas corpus for alleged alien combatants.

• End National Security Agency warrantless wiretapping.

• Empower Congress to challenge presidential signing statements.

• Bar executive use of the state secret privilege to deny justice.

• Prohibit the President from collaborating with foreign governments to kidnap, detain of torture persons abroad.

• Amend the Espionage Act to permit journalists to report on classified national security matters without threat of persecution.

• Prohibit of the labeling of groups or individuals in the U.S. as global terrorists based on secret evidence.

Of course, it is difficult to conceive of Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama or even the somewhat more Constitutionally-courageous John Edwards going to such extremes.

They are, above all, cautious candidates. They don't want to be accused of getting too serious about maintaining the basic underpinnings of the Republic.

Only the nuttiest of radicals who ask that candidates for president would ask that candidates for nation's top job to start talking about the notion that the lawless presidency of George W. Bush has created a Constitutional crisis.

So what left-wing cabal is promoting the above assault on the executives excesses of the Bush administration?

The group that's advancing this so-called "American Freedom Agenda" is chaired by Bruce Fein, a former Nixon administration aide who served as deputy attorney general under President Reagan and who helped to formulate some of the serious -- pre-blue dress -- arguments for impeaching Bill Clinton. Fein is joined by former Georgia Republican Congressman Bob Barr, veteran conservative fund-raiser Richard Viguerie and David Keene, the former aide to Bob Dole who for many years has served as chairman of the American Conservative Union.

What gives? How come conservatives are taking the lead in the fight to restore basic Constitutional protections?

"The most conservative principles of the Constitution have been repeatedly violated in the last several years," says Fein. "[The] Founding Fathers engrafted a system of checks and review of one branch by another -- a system of due process safeguards against injustice that is likely to occur because of prejudice and fear. And those checks and balances have eroded enormously over the last several years, particularly since 9/11."

Viguerie is even blunter, suggesting that "a constitutional crisis... has developed to alarming proportion under President George W. Bush."

Rejecting the suggestion that conservatives must remain silent because Bush is supposedly one of their own, Viguerie says, "Conservatives must not fail to oppose the massive expansion of presidential powers out of fear they will be aid and comfort to the Left. Concern about one branch of government acquiring excessive power should not be the providence of liberals, moderates, or conservatives. It must be the concern of all Americans who value liberty…"

Barr echoes that view, arguing that, "[We]" cannot sit by and wait thirty years for court decisions. We cannot wait until another four-year election cycle is concluded to have the Bill of Rights restored and defended."

The American Freedom Agenda campaign is the vehicle that these conservatives have established, with a self-described twofold mission: "the enactment of a cluster of statutes that would restore the Constitution's checks and balances as enshrined by the Founding Fathers; and, making the subject a staple of political campaigns and of foremost concern to Members of Congress and to voters and educators. Especially since 9/11, the executive branch has chronically usurped legislative or judicial power, and has repeatedly claimed that the President is the law. The constitutional grievances against the White House are chilling, reminiscent of the kingly abuses that provoked the Declaration of Independence."

The agenda was launched two weeks ago. So far, one candidate has expressed support it: Texas Congressman Ron Paul, the libertarian Republican who explains that: "[They] say that the executive branch is always hungry. That's why it's up to the people, up to the congress to reign in the power of the executive branch."

Paul's right to sign on. The question now is whether any Democratic presidential contenders will join him in doing so.

The restoration of the Constitution's system of checks and balances ought not be a project of the left or right. It ought to be something that every presidential candidate can endorse. And, for Democrats, the American Freedom Agenda initiative creates a perfect opportunity to do the right thing with "political cover." After all, if Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama or John Edwards were to express support for the restoring the system of checks and balances and undoing the damage done to the Constitution during the Bush years, they tell the Democratic strategists who constantly counsel ideological caution: "Don't worry, I'm not taking any risks. I'm just making like the conservatives."

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?pid=182529

Quote:
The American Freedom Agenda's (AFA) mission is twofold: the enactment of a cluster of statutes that would restore the Constitution's checks and balances as enshrined by the Founding Fathers; and, making the subject a staple of political campaigns and of foremost concern to Members of Congress and to voters and educators. Especially since 9/11, the executive branch has chronically usurped legislative or judicial power, and repeatedly claims that the President is the law. The constitutional grievances against the White House are chilling, reminiscent of the kingly abuses that provoked the Declaration of Independence.

http://www.americanfreedomagenda.org/

Quote:

http://www.americanfreedomagenda.org/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=20107
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:22 pm
I think there was a cult of personality around Kennedy, although i would suggest that it was not as manipulated as is the current cult of personality around the Shrub. It is easy to forget, in the glow of "Camelot," that Kennedy just barely won his election, and just barely cleared the hurdle of his being a Catholic, and being seen as a rich, east-coast liberal. That he chose to campaign prominently in West Virginia at he beginning and to tackle the question of his religion immediately is evidence that either he or his rather small circle of campaign advisers (in comparison to the massive machines of today) were clever enough take on the tough issues immediately. There were, however, no focus groups in 1960, and polling was more or less in its infancy (at least in comparison to the weekly polls by dozens of organizations which occurs today). Kennedy won the vote by just over 100,000 votes, and a couple of tenths of a percentage point--neither he nor Nixon polled 50% of the vote. It was really a squeaker.

It is only in retrospect that one can see the "cult of personality" around Kennedy. As for Reagan and Clinton, neither was the choice of the party in early campaigning--Reagan took the front spot away from Bush who seemed to think it was his as of right, and Clinton was a dark horse all the way. Their cults of personality arose after the fact, much as did that of Kennedy. In the case of the younger Bush, i think his "cult of personality," especially as a "born again Christian," was a crucial factor in his first campaign. I think that the ability to draw the right-wing Christian to the voting booth, which was forgotten after the early 20th Century (when issues of "Christian values" were more or less assumed) only to be rediscovered by the Republicans when they took over the Congress in 1994, was conscientiously exploited by the Shrub's campaign in 2000. In fact, i don't think he could have come close enough to have contested the election successfully with Gore without that cult of personality, which essentially began among the right-wing Christians.

(Incidentally, i think that group, the right-wing Christians, are an increasingly disenchanted group--if not with Bush, at least with the party's delivery on the issue which move them to the voting booth. However, i think they view the Democrats with sufficient abhorence that the Republicans can probably continue to count on their votes, although not necessarily on the turn-out for elections.)

Finally, i want to make it clear that the perceived personality of the candidate is far more important than the platform--politicians will say almost anything to get elected, and the electorate seem either not to remember or not to care what the promises made were. Party "movers and shakers" understand this, and i see them as remaining flexible about the platform, and willing to go with what the candidate calls for, based on a perception that they are putting their best contender up there, with a proven record as a winner. Political parties have to stray awfully damned far from their historical platforms to even get noticed enough to get caught in the hen house at midnight. Witness the Clinton administration--about the least "ideologically pure" Democratic bunch i've seen in my lifetime. No one seemed to notice just how far the right he was, and how willing he was to ignore the historical image of the party to appeal those whom he justifiably saw as his major props.
0 Replies