Restaurant Takes On Rowdy Kids

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:19 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
When I was eight years old, my family and I flew from Chicago to California and back again. Six hours total in a plane, and I can assure you I was a perfect angel. I didn't run up and down the aisles, I didn't scream or cry or fidget or kick the seat in front of me. Not because I wasn't an ordinary eight-year old, but because I knew that, if I acted up, my mother would find a way to convince the flight crew to jettison me somewhere over Omaha. And I don't recall anyone complimenting my parents on how well I acted, probably because, in those ancient times, people actually expected kids to behave themselves in public places. It wasn't some epic event that required everyone to praise the heroic parents who raised such well-behaved children. That was the minimum standard of acceptable behavior then.

This bore repeating.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 08:20 am
@joefromchicago,
A solid ditto is in order Joe. Myself? I was flattered as a kid to be allowed to go to nice restaurants. I was never the one to advocate/beg for the likes of McDonalds when it came to restaurant choices either like my two other siblings (though I was happy to go there as well).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 09:02 am
@Reyn,
(Mental note: when in Chicago the next time, be sure to dine early and often at A Taste of Heaven.)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 10:45 am

I recommend Russian Tea Time.
http://www.russianteatime.com/index2.html
I love that place.

David
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 11:09 am
@Setanta,
I agree with as well and I have children that I have taken to "nice" restaurants.

Those parents that do not teach their children to behave appropriate in this sort of venue is the reason. There are children who can behave and who have parents that teach them this way, unfortunately it appears there are many more that do not.

It is a private establishment and therefore can have whatever rules they want.
On an aside - did anyone see pictures of this restaurant? I saw it on the news and thought - by appearances, this is not what I would consider a "nice" or upscale restaurant.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 11:10 am
@boomerang,
That's it exactly. You have to know your child. When they are very tired, you do not take them out to eat. Simple - also how much fun is that for you, if your child is cranky?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:23 pm
There is a "nice" restaurant near where I work that offers a "kids night". It is in a separate area where parents and the children can dine. I originally thought what a great idea, I'll bring my kids because the premise was supposed to be to teach children about dining.

But after reading the details, all it turned out to be was some room where they allowed the kids to run around and with special play areas and crap.

I don't want to be around kids that do not know how to dine or don't want to learn...my kids probably wouldn't either.

They actually love to go out to "nice" places to eat sometimes - they like (unfortunately for us) expensive food. They like the kid places too, but love being "grown up" and ordering politely - sort of like play acting for them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:29 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

It is a private establishment and therefore can have whatever rules they want.

Interesting. Wasn't there a ruling a decade or so ago that landlords couldn't discriminate against families with children? Maybe that only exists in my imagination.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:49 pm
@roger,
I should say - I believe that private establishments should be able to set up their own rules.

It can back fire on you though - as in it could cause some real backlash.

As far as the renting - I think it could depend on the state - there are also exceptions. I know my (strangely they had kids) friend's parents had a triple decker and they did not rent to people with children - supposedly what they said was that her dad was ill - so they had some sort of exception. Honestly not sure to the legality of it - but they did never rent to people with children.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 01:57 pm
@roger,
Don't know about the U.S., but in Canada there are definitely adult-only buildings.
Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 02:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I recommend Russian Tea Time.
http://www.russianteatime.com/index2.html
I love that place.

Me too. And I definitely have to go before they let children into the concerts around the corner from there.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 02:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I know we have certain senior communities, but still, I don't think that in general, they can discriminate against families with children. I suppose if I were really interested, I could do the research. I don't think I am. Feel free.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 03:06 pm
@roger,
I'm not interested enough either - but there are plenty of 55+ communities around so there must be some sorts of exceptions.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:29 am
Restaurants have the right to refuse service to anyone. I think this policy is great and would encourage more places to do so. If you want to go out without your kids, you want a place to go out without kids. One nasty kid can spoil it for the whole place, if the restaurant is small. And even when kids aren't acting out, they are still kids and will be louder than adults and generally be kids, which some people find irritating while they are eating. Nothing wrong with it.

On a side note, I think this rule should apply to the smoking ban as well, that's recently been put into effect in Michigan. If you WANT to go somewhere without smoking, then do. If not, don't complain when you go to a place that allows smoking. By mandating everyone to do one thing, you're limiting peoples choices and that to me is stupid.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:34 am
@roger,
Not senior communities, simply adult-only buildings. Kinda like the adult-only vacations you can book. Those are definitely not for seniors
Cool

I don't think having children puts you into a protected group under the law.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:37 am
@Bella Dea,
Quote:
And even when kids aren't acting out, they are still kids and will be louder than adults and generally be kids, which some people find irritating while they are eating.

I disagree with this note. When kids aren't acting out - they are being appropriately quiet - thus what acting out is vs. being well-behaved. My children in a nice restaurant know to talk at a certain voice level and have.

Many adults talk loudly and rudely in restaurants. I've experienced this frequently as well.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 01:53 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
And even when kids aren't acting out, they are still kids and will be louder than adults and generally be kids,
which some people find irritating while they are eating. Nothing wrong with it.
That is absolutely false, contrary to known experience
and it betrays your naked, age-based prejudice, which I, for one, REJECT.

David
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 02:06 am
@Reyn,
Hi Reyn

Another thread from 2005 on pretty much the same subject.

I loved this post of Noddy's! Smile

Quote:
I'm wondering whether one reason children misbehave in restaurants is that they aren't accustomed to sitting down for a family meal anyplace.

On the Fringes of Mr. Noddy's family there are several batches of toddlers who exist on snack food and who aren't taught table manners (unless not wiping your greasy fingers on Mommie's dress is table manners).

I know I've told this story before, but it's a good story.

Mr. Noddy and I were out for the evening at an upscale restaurant. A couple came in with a ten-year-old girl who banged on her water glass and rocked on her chair and sassed her parents and whined loudly....

Her parents made absolutely no attempt to control her behavior and glared right back at the other patrons who were glaring at them.

As we were leaving I stopped at the table and announced in a loud, clear voice how much I admired their courage and patience in seeing that their retarded daughter was given mainstream experiences.

The child's behavior improved immediately.

Children & restaurants ... a good mix?:
http://able2know.org/topic/59951-1
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
When I was eight years old, my family and I flew from Chicago to California and back again. Six hours total in a plane, and I can assure you I was a perfect angel. I didn't run up and down the aisles, I didn't scream or cry or fidget or kick the seat in front of me. Not because I wasn't an ordinary eight-year old, but because I knew that, if I acted up, my mother would find a way to convince the flight crew to jettison me somewhere over Omaha. And I don't recall anyone complimenting my parents on how well I acted, probably because, in those ancient times, people actually expected kids to behave themselves in public places. It wasn't some epic event that required everyone to praise the heroic parents who raised such well-behaved children. That was the minimum standard of acceptable behavior then.

This bore repeating.
AGREED!
I have always thought of kids as being the same as adults.
We are all people.

David
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:00 am
@Reyn,
Try this...

Quote:
"You know, Miss, I actually have a step brother who was raised much the same way you're raising that child!"

The reply usually comes back:

Quote:
"What's he doing now?" or "How's he making out now?"

to which you reply:

Quote:
He's in a federal penitentury, wishing he'd been raised properly!"

0 Replies