"Visit Fortress America — We Might Eventually Let You In"

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 01:42 pm
Not really a great topic, I know, and who bothers about foreigners, who even can't speak American English correctly :wink:

Quote:

A pretty cheap way to treat foreign friends link to article in:USToday: Hype & Glory : Walter Shapiro
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,598 • Replies: 14
No top replies

fealola

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:00 pm
Let the horror show begin:

http://www.latimes.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=la-me-belgian5jul05&section=/printstory
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:03 pm
This is what we in Mexico have gone through from immemorial times. A pain in the butt, and then the humilliation of having to show your credit card, your dollar bills or your return ticket to the inmigration official.

That's without counting the prize hike. A visa for the US now costs 100 dollars. If a family of four wants to go to Disneyland, that adds 400 to the tour (plus a day lost in the long visa cues, and interviews: the child's visa comes from an interview with the parent).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:06 pm
If I'm lucky, mebbe they won't let me back in the next time i go to Canadia . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:16 pm
... and I don't even have a passport, which would add about 30$ plus costs for the photo ...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:28 pm
Yeah, but you're German. No visa. No hassle at the airport. A "good" visitor.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:30 pm
Uglier still, Fbaezer, is the story of the Coyotes and the illegals . . . it just don't bear thinkin' about . . .
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:35 pm
One undocumented Mexican dies every day, as an average, trying to get into the US. Exhausted in the desert, drowned in the treacherous waters of Río Bravo (Grande River) or asphyxiated in a container.

Those are the dead. Not the pressumed terrorists.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:36 pm
German tourists are "hyper-nationalist blondes", who are "stuck up, noisy and outrageous", according to the Italian tourist minister.

Glad, I'm dark haired (what is left of that), still, reserved and always taking the back seat, as you all can certainly witness :wink:
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:38 pm
Walter, there's an unofficial season of "German Tourist Watching" in Rimini, Italy.

"See how white they are! How red they become! How much do they eat! How many beers do they drink! How little they understand Italian!"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:21 pm
The Iatlian junior minister retired some minutes ago. Thus, the GTW in Rimini is closed, too.

Today, btw, there was the opening of an exhibition "Napoli- Bochum - Rimini" to celebrate 60 years of intensive German tourism in Italy and 60 years of Italians working in the Ruhr district :wink:
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:20 pm
I believe that Stefani's views coincide with the average Northern Italian's. Which helps to explain why those Forza Italia - Lega Nord- Alleanza Nazionale idiots are in charge.
GTW won't close, though. It's unofficial.

Napoli-Bochum-Rimini hmmmm. Sounds to me like a business cycle.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:26 pm
The website is unfortunately only in German (but you'll certainly recognise that you were correct with "business circle" :wink: ):

Neapel - Bochum - Rimini. Arbeiten in Deutschland, Urlaub in Italien Ausstellung im LWL-Industriemuseum Zeche Hannover
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:29 pm
There was a not-so-far-from-the-truth joke among catholics years ago that the Italians provide the leadership, the Germans run the church, and the Americans pay for it . . .
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:30 pm
And that's ANOTHER business cycle!
0 Replies