Monkey al-Sadr: Hypocrite

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:28 pm
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Powerful Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr is calling for an anti-American protest in the Iraqi city of Najaf on April 9, the fourth anniversary of the fall of Baghdad.

Al-Sadr's statement calling for a demonstration was read aloud by a senior member of al-Sadr's movement, Sheikh Suhail al-Iqabi, on Friday in Baghdad's Sadr City neighborhood and elsewhere in Iraq.

"I renew my call for the occupier to leave our land," said the statement, referring to the United States. "The departure of the occupier will mean stability for Iraq, victory for Islam and peace and defeat for terrorism and infidels."

U.S. and Iraqi officials don't know al-Sadr's whereabouts. They have said he fled to Iran after recent military operations in Baghdad, but his supporters insist he remains in Iraq.

Al-Iqabi, who traveled from Najaf to Baghdad, read the statement to thousands of listeners in Sadr City, a stronghold of al-Sadr's Mehdi Army militia and a bastion of support for the Shiite leader.

Najaf, south of Baghdad, is one of the world's major centers of Shiite Islam and the fall of Baghdad symbolizes the fall of the regime of Saddam Hussein.

"The fourth anniversary passes us by with more pain and sorrow, leaving behind thousands of killed and wounded people from Iraq's women and men, old and young," said the al-Sadr statement.

"Raise your voices in support of the resistance from the south of Iraq to the north, from the west of Iraq to the east. May Iraq be united, independent and stable, fully sovereign and free from interference by any occupiers, and safe from the hands of traitors and infidels." (Watch Saudi Arabia's king also condemn the U.S. occupation Video)

Al-Sadr urged the "oppressed people of Iraq" to "let the entire world hear your voices."

He urged them to "reject occupation, destruction and terrorism" and say that "you love peace, Islam and freedom."

He called on people to "keep the reputation of Iraq and its people protected, cut the tongues of liars and traitors that want to take from Iraq and its people," he said, telling people to "obey the call of freedom and peace."

"Hoist Iraqi flags atop homes, apartment buildings and government departments to show the sovereignty and independence of Iraq, and that you reject the presence of American flags and those of other nations occupying our beloved Iraq."

He said the flags should be hoisted "until they leave our land."

Members of al-Sadr's Mehdi Army are believed to be involved in fierce sectarian battles and killings. The Baghdad security crackdown has been targeting such armed Shiite groups.

The cleric reportedly fled to predominantly Shiite Iran about the time U.S. and Iraqi forces launched the Baghdad crackdown. Al-Sadr has been supportive of the government of Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and helped al-Maliki's rise to power in 2006. But al-Maliki has said that no lawbreaker will be immune to the security operations.

U.S. and Iraqi forces said their raids have netted two high-profile al-Sadr associates -- Deputy Health Minister Hakem Abbas al-Zamili and Abdul Hadi Darraji, the head of the cleric's media office.

Here's a guy whose militia is responsible for thousands of deaths of fellow Iraqi's trying to come off like he gives 2 sh!ts about Iraq. What a hypocrite and a coward this guy is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 458 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:50 pm
another astute analysis by McGentrix. I'm overwhelmed.
Quote:
Here's a guy whose militia is responsible for thousands of deaths of fellow Iraqi's trying to come off like he gives 2 sh!ts about Iraq. What a hypocrite and a coward this guy is.

Is this in your own words or did you have help with the grammar?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
hmmm... speaking of hypocrites and cowards, look who shows up.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
McGentrix wrote:
hmmm... speaking of hypocrites and cowards, look who shows up.

you forgot liberal and anarchist.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 03:57 pm
Wonder if anyone will show? Blackwater maybe.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 10:26 am
Radical cleric Sadr blames U.S. for Iraq violence
Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:46am ET

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Radical Shi'ite Iraqi cleric Moqtada al-Sadr launched one of his strongest broadsides against the United States on Friday, saying the invasion of Iraq had burdened the country with violence and poverty.

Sadr, whom the U.S. military says is believed to be in Iran, urged Iraqis to protest in the holy Shi'ite city of Najaf on April 9, the fourth anniversary of when American troops swept into central Baghdad in 2003.

"Iraq has endured difficult years because of this oppressive occupation that claims it removed the destroyer (Saddam Hussein) to bring the ghost of a fake democracy," Sadr said in a statement.

"It came to ... disarm banned weapons only to replace them with uglier weapons -- terrorism. Terrorism breeds terrorism," Sadr said, without elaborating.

"Years have passed and instead of having (President George W.) Bush's pictures in Iraqi houses, they are being stepped on, along with their (American) flags, with the feet of Iraqis."

Saddam persecuted Iraq's Shi'ite majority for decades. Sadr's father was killed under Saddam's regime.
link
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
Whether or not Sadr is a coward, i could not say, and i don't believe that anyone necessarily can from the available evidence. However, i do consider his to be a hypocrite. He is trading on the popularity of his father, and would not enjoy any appreciable support at all if he did not have his father's reputation to lean on. Even with that, it is doubtful that he can rely upon wide-spread support among Iraqi Shi'ites, and he probably hurt his own support base with his attempt to hold the holy city of Najaf hostage with his militia shortly after the invasion.

He is considered by Shi'ites to be descended from the Prophet, which explains why he continues to command the support of more than a handful of fanatics. However, unlike his father, he has no religious education, and is not recognized as an Imam, which tends to lessen the influence he might have. He has shown, however, some influence with Shi'ite members of the current Iraqi government, although the reason for and the degree of his influence is obscure.

I agree that he is a hypocrite because the evidence is that he is only interested in his own personal power, rather than the welfare of the nation of Iraq, or even of the Shi'ite majority of the nation. I suspect that in a post-occupation Iraq, his only way of wielding influence would be from promoting an insurgency by his militia, because he has not shown himself to be very clever politically--his only functional political philosophy seems to be that political power grows from the barrel of a gun. His attempt to create a shadow government in opposition to the Coalition Provisional Authority failed. He is also associated with the murder of Imam Abdul Majid al-Khoei just after the invasion--although significantly the Imam's clan has blamed Sunni Ba'athists for the murder, and not al Sadr. Whether that is genuine or just anti-Sunni politics on their part i don't claim the expertise to know.

But, in my final analysis, i agree that he is a hypocrite whose only interest is personal power, and that he has shown no plausible regard for Iraq or its Shi'ites.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:28 pm
hypocrite yes indeed, he is a self-defined man of god which pretty much automatically puts him in the hypocrite crowd.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 02:25 pm
Huh. Something we actually agree on. Odd.
0 Replies