what is the difference

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 02:33 pm
what makes a person liberal or conservative? I understand that there is a difference in the attitude of taking risks. but what other kinds of things can contribute to the difference.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 882 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 02:40 pm
Liberals worry that some innocent person might be punished when they don't deserve it.

Conservatives worry that some guilty person might get away with something.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 02:51 pm
Quote:
there is a difference in the attitude of taking risks

That's funny! When I was a Liberal, I never took risks.
As a Conservative, I'm always taking risks.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 03:12 pm
Liberals want to raise taxes for programs they think are worthwhile... like healthcare and education.

Conservatives want to raise debts for programs they think are worthwhile... like war.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:18 pm
try here.

http://www.fahayek.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 12:47 am
Re: what is the difference
baseballchic wrote:
what makes a person liberal or conservative? I understand that there is a difference in the attitude of taking risks. but what other kinds of things can contribute to the difference.

I think you ought to explain to us about that risk business to us, before we can explain to you the difference between liberal and conservative.

Of the major differences I can think of, risk taking is not even on the radar.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 04:43 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Liberals want to raise taxes for programs they think are worthwhile... like healthcare and education.

Conservatives want to raise debts for programs they think are worthwhile... l

Nonsense
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 04:50 am
Conservatives always complain liberals spend too much money and promote big government, but when in power conservatives expand government powers and spending far more than liberals.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 06:17 am
Liberals believe in the first, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and ninth amendments.

Conservatives believe in the second and tenth.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 06:25 am
Liberals believe that no matter how lazy you are that you deserve to make the same amount of money as those who work 40 or more hrs a week.

Conservatives believe that the harder you work then the better off you or your children will be.

Liberals believe that if you are white you must be a racist or a bigot. To prove other wise you have to agree with them or risk being called names.

Conservatives believe that no matter your skin color you should be judged on how well you do in life and what you can accomplish.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 06:35 am
Quote:

Conservatives believe that no matter your skin color you should be judged on how well you do in life and what you can accomplish.

LOL
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 06:37 am
Liberals believe that war should only be used as a last resort-- after all other options have been tried and exhausted.

Conservatives believe that diplomacy should only be used as a last resort-- after all other options have been tried and exhausted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 06:43 am
Conservatives believe they have to mis-state the aims of liberals to make them look like lazy leeches and cowardly wimps.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 07:07 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Conservatives believe they have to mis-state the aims of liberals to make them look like lazy leeches and cowardly wimps.

Don't go painting all conservatives with the same brush just because some do it.

Both conservatives and liberals paint the other side with a broad brush.

Liberals understand irony.
Conservatives don't.
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 04:58 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Liberals believe that no matter how lazy you are that you deserve to make the same amount of money as those who work 40 or more hrs a week.

Conservatives believe that the harder you work then the better off you or your children will be.

I know plenty of people who work more than 40 hours a week and as a family they are living paycheck to paycheck and struggling to put back just enough in case of a medical emergency because their employer either doesn't provide health insurance or they can't afford the insurance their employer provides. This sort of dispells your feeling that conservatives believe that the harder you work the better off your family will be. If so why haven't things improved for the average working family? They can't all be "lazy".
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 05:04 pm
That silly Baldi. What he meant to say was

"Conservatives believe that the harder you work then the better off THEY or THEIR children will be."

Sorry for the confusion.

Carry on. I think e_browns got it. Laughing
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 05:35 pm
Actually, things are better off for most American families today, especially in comparison to how things were only a bit over 50 years ago. That isn't to say there aren't problems, but there will always be problems that hurt some more than others. You fix one thing and that causes something else to fail.

Your focus seemed to be primarily on the failings of our health care system. It's a big, easy target. The cost of medical insurance and treatment have risen beyond the ability of almost anyone to pay. Last year when Natalie, my wife, was hospitalized first for a severe intestinal infection and then for Spinal Meningitis, our medical bills topped $300,000. We are retired, but Natalie wasn't old enough for Medicare and we had no medical insurance to cover her hospitalization or treatment. One of our largest budget items is the medications we both have to take daily.

Why was the cost so high? Well, here are a few reasons. The cost of modern medical technology isn't cheap to develop or possess in all hospitals. If no one paid the cost of that technology, it wouldn't exist and more people would suffer and die. The number of people who require medical treatment is growing constantly, yet the number of doctors, nurses and technicians is somewhat on the decline. Huge demand, and limited supply is a natural force raising prices. Insurance, either private or public, is expected to pay, but the premiums have risen as more people seek more expensive treatment. We have become a People much more willing to litigate than our parents and grandparents were. Every treatment carries some risk, and some people seek often outrageous compensation for even relatively minor medical failures. That enriches Tort Lawyers, increases medical insurance to the public and the cost of liability/malpractice insurance for doctors drives many either out of business or into a ceaseless effort to build large personal fortunes.

This has caused many small and mid-sized businesses to cancel medical insurance as too expensive. "You can have medical insurance benefits, but if the company goes under then you are out both job and benefits." This causes the government to become ever more involved in providing health coverage. To insure the minimum fraud the government is a mass of red-tape and a bureaucratic maze that adds to system costs. Doctors, Hospitals and drug companies have come to depend on government payments for their treatment. Uncle Sam is good for it, right? What results is that all costs throughout the system are consciously maximized to insure the greatest possible return for the services the doctors, hospitals, etc. provide.

In our case, once the doctors and hospital came to understand that the government wasn't gong to pay anything toward Natalie's bill, and that we couldn't pay that bill off for about 125 years, negotiations became possible. We've paid what we could, and we pay monthly installments toward satisfying our debt. I believe that currently we only owe something like $80,000 dollars, and we hope to eventually negotiate something even more reasonable than paying these bills until we are in our late 80's. Natalie is alive today because of that expensive medical treatment, and even if financially that remains a heavy burden, it was worth it to us.

We can't go back to the days when a family doctor came out to the house for treatment, and accepted payment in baskets of eggs and fresh canned goods. Would we want to return to medicine as it was practiced fifty years ago?

I'm covered by Medicare, and I appreciate the security it gives me as the probability of my becoming seriously ill increases with my age. If I dould afford private insurance, that would be nice. If the medical system did more to minimize costs instead of maximizing them, that would be even better. There is no chance that health costs are going to diminish, and those who demand universal health care will make themselves heard.
0 Replies

baseballchic

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 05:56 pm
thanks this stuff is really helping me out a lot. and i understand it too.
0 Replies