Rae

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:58 am
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
0 Replies

bebecupid

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:43 pm
I have had the shots twice now and will not stop spotting. It's like having a mild period that is too light for tampons but to heavy to not do anything about it. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't have any other side effect though.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:29 pm
There's nothing I find more relaxing than coming home late night and sitting in on a post about spotting, periods, cramps etc. You girls really are an interesting breed.

Can we talk about yeast infections next? Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:48 am
BPB ~ I'm sure we'll get around to yeast infections, boils, bartholin cysts and mucus plugs eventually. Shocked

bebecupid ~ I experienced the same incessant spotting and can only sympathize with you. It's a 'possible' annoying side effect in some women.
0 Replies

Vero

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:18 pm
Side -Effects
I've had my first shot in September 3003, and my second one in late December of 2003. I should be taking the 3rd one in mid march, but i've been reading about it and it's bad side-effects and i'm getting quite scared. Even my mother has been warning me and advising me to stop it. It's the first time i've ever taken any of the contraceptive methods as it is my first time having sexual intercourse. I know the pill sounds to be much better than the injection. I don't know what to do. My mother has mentioned to me that there are even products for men to take.

I've noticed some side effects : mood swings, mild depression, little weight gain, increase of appetite, fatigue, and not wanting to have sex at all with my b/f. For 1 month and a half i didn't want to be touched or anything...

Oh well, i hope someone can give me extra-advice. But as Miss Rae says: always go see your doctor; that of which i shall be doing soon.

Veronica
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:09 pm
I'm using the nuva ring and really like it. Have been on it for almost a year, no problems. It's a lower dosage than birth control pills but uses the same chemicals.
0 Replies

ferne0316

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 10:06 pm
MY BODY IS SOOOO SCREWED UP!
Hello everyone! I just recently stop taking deprovera. I got my first shot in June 2003- after I had become pregnant (UNPLANNED) and had a misscarriage. I decided to go on the "shot" b/c I was scarred and stressed and did not want to go through what I had just been through- and that was the only way I knew for sure that it would never happen again- I was currently on the Pill when I became pregnant ...
However the side-effects I experience were too much to handle... I'm depressed.....moody.... gained 15lbs!!!!....and I have not even the slightest desire to have sex with my bf (which starts alot of agruments and causes ALOT of stress between us)..also my breasts began leaking this clear...almost milky liquid...ew.....and I lost sooooo much hair every time I brushed my hair in the morning.... Thank god I'm not on the needle anymore....I only hope I get my periods back SOON!!! So I can go back on the pill or even try that new ring thing!... anyone else experience the wierd breast leakage thing ( well it wasn't that they were "leaking" but I could notice them in the bath tub and when I squeezed my nipples this liquid would come out)...
Thanks for you time..
0 Replies

Vero

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:06 am
Hey Ferne,

Don't know about the liquid thing, maybe it has do with the fact that you were pregnant.
The other side-effects... I got them too and the same arguments with my b/f. The ring kinda scares me...doesn't it hurt???
Could you tell me more about the pills? I thought they were just as efficient as the shot...
0 Replies

jessi02006

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:58 pm
Hello every one. I am new to this, but I just started the Depo shot. I just got my first shot yesterday. I am a little nervous about the side affects. Confused I have read what every body has wrote, but my doctor told me that the weight gain is the same with all forms of birth control. Also, ferne0316, I am pretty sure that the liquid stuff is because you were pregnant. Usually, once you are pregnant, your breasts are preparing for milk for the child. But because you had a miscarriage, your breasts are more than likely doing that because it is releasing the liquid that it built up in preparation for the child.
0 Replies

Skooter

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:14 am
Hello every one, i have ready every ones comments and issues about the shot...i have to say that i have been on it since sept. '02 and i find that i do get the clear liquid from the nipples and i was told by the doctor that it is caused from the extra dose of hormones, and also from some one (your partner) playing with them...because when this happened to me it totally freaked me out...just talk to your doctor..its probably the best thing to do. i do have to say that when i started the shot my periods ended immediately and did not have any spotting....the only thing that bothers me is the weight gain...i started out at 130 and now 170... which is one of the factors i am looking at for quitting the shot...and i don't know about any one else...but the only place i gained the weight was in my abdomen....thanks for taking the time to read this!!
0 Replies

vctria

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:59 pm
depo
Is there anyone out there that has experienced hair loss with the depo shot? And what other symptoms have you all experienced?
0 Replies

jessi02006

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 04:36 pm
Hey. I have been on Depo for about a week. I have not experienced spotting or the weight gain. But then again it has not been that long. The only symptom I have experienced is the sensitive breasts. If I experience any other symptoms, I will let you know.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:00 pm
_Vero_ wrote:
Hey Ferne,

Don't know about the liquid thing, maybe it has do with the fact that you were pregnant.
The other side-effects... I got them too and the same arguments with my b/f. The ring kinda scares me...doesn't it hurt???
Could you tell me more about the pills? I thought they were just as efficient as the shot...

No, the ring doesn't hurt. It was a little weird at first, but I got used to it in a week or two. It's not dry, like a tampon - I think it's some kind of flexible plastic. It just sits in there, for some people it makes sex better.

You leave it in when you're having sex (although you don't have to - you can take it out for up to 3 hours at a time). You take it out then you have your period and get a new one.

A very small percentage of people don't respond to the hormones in birth control pills (same hormones in Nuva ring) and even if they take correctly they can get pregnant. You'd know if you were one of these people pretty quickly. Usually once you've been on them and they've worked for you they will always work for you.
0 Replies

vinylbunnie

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:20 am
side effects?
i'm 16, and this is my second time being on the needle. the first time it was only for three months and i only had bad cramping and my period stopped. this is now my second time on it and tomorrow i'm going back for my second needle. this time i got my period and a bit of spotting. i have an increased appitite but i havn't gained any weight, and if i have it hasn't been a drastic amount because i keep checking for this. lately i seem really depressed, and sometimes i'm just moody, but reading this thread, its making me think its related to the needle. i'm kind of scared to get the needle again, but me and my boyfriend are really terrible with the condom thing, so this seems to work the best and most effectivly. is it possibly to get pregnant on this? or is it highly unlikely.. thanks.

-erin
0 Replies

vctria

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 09:48 pm
deprovera
hey it is me, again. I'm still losing hair!! Even in the private area. Let's just say I won't be needing a Brazilian bikini wax anytime soon. Shocked Could this be from the depo 'cause I'm also breastfeeding too. Maybe malnutrition? I doubt it 'cause I eat like a pig especially since I've been on this contraceptive.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 12:05 am
Loosing hair can be a side effect of many things, including malnutrition, and hepatitis. I would make an appointment A.S.A.P. with the doctor to find the cause.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 12:23 am
vinylbunny: Because depoprova is made of a progestin, it can have side effects of this type of hormone. And one of those side effects can be depression. You may be one of those susceptible to this.
0 Replies

Sayrarose

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:26 am
side effects
I have been on depo for over a year now and have not experienced and side effects so far. The day after i recieved my first shot my period stopped and hasn't returned in the slightest bit. My mother recently made a comment to me that she thought the fact that your period goes away is not natural. I love the fact i don't have to deal with any of the monthly stuff! So my question is.. is the period a way to cleanse your body of toxins and such or is all that yuky stuff just a side effect of the pregnancy process?

Also I have been having some side pain lately and docs cant figure it out. My leg twitches a lot. could this be a sign of a blood clot and does depo have side effects like this?
thx
sayrarose Laughing
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 01:36 am
Those last couple of questions are ones you should be asking your physician. Even contacting his/her nurse would be an idea as they could advise you whether or not an appointment to see your doc would be in order.

A period is not a means of cleansing your body of toxins. Every cycle, your uterus prepares itself for implantation of a fertilized egg by building up its inner layer, known as the endometrium. This layer will provide nutrients for the fertilized egg. Without a fertilized egg in place, the level of hormones drop, ultimately resulting in a sloughing off of the blood rich endometrial layer. This is when a woman will experience menstruation.

I agree with your mother. Not having a menstrual cycle isn't natural. However, your situation seems to be a fairly common one amongst women on depo. In my opinion (and I'm not a doc so you might want to ask your physician about this) anytime you're altering the hormonal cycle, you're messing with mother nature and that can't always be a good thing.

As I said, just my opinion.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
Depo basically tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant. When you're pregnant you don't have periods - because you would lose the fetus, and there's no bodily need to replace a fertilized egg with an unfertilized egg (unless your body can't support a fetus.)
0 Replies