The best watermark?

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 09:53 am
Im posting almost 100 pictures I took from my daughters day care.
They had a spring fest, and the teachers and parents alike all wanted me to be the photographer.

All that is great... but.. now I dont know how to protect my pictures from being saved and printed with out being paid for them.
I want to ( and already have ) create a website for people to see the photos and order them.
But, if I save them for web in photoshop, and reduce the pixels so that they dont print clearly, in an effort to save my work, I sacrifice visual quality in the website. .

My basic idea is..

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/329/1174832836109373qn3.jpg

which I can easily do in photoshop.

But can it be easily UNdone?

is there something more secure ?
or are all those watermark programs I see.. basicly doing what I am doing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,210 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:06 am
watermark IN Adobe Photoshop
Sorry....if I'm missing something...but did you know that you can very effectively watermark them IN Adobe Photoshop?

and...

You have originals ..so you needn't worry about undoing the watermark. because you aren't watermarking your own origs.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:10 am
Are you talking about the watermark being undone by you or by someone else?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:12 am
Im worried about them being undone by someone else.

And I do have photoshop. That is how I created the above picture with a simple text layer to create the "water mark"
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:15 am
Many photographers (and I) have been using Photoshops watermark function for a long while with no problems.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:18 am
photoshop has a watermark program?

Is it a seperate plug in you have to purchase?
Or am I missing something that is probally terribly obvious... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:19 am
Many photographers (and I) have been using Photoshops watermark function for a long while with no problems.

If you have any concerns, though, when you post them on a website, reduce the resolution so unethical people can't get a usefully printable copy. Also, if you haven't thought about it already, any people pix need release forms signed.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:21 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Im worried about them being undone by someone else.

And I do have photoshop. That is how I created the above picture with a simple text layer to create the "water mark"

I'm a bit confused..you said you have Photoshop and you showed an image with a sample watemark..then you ask about the function within Photoshop. Is it me?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:25 am
No. it isnt you.

I added a layer of just text over the top of the picture.

When you said there was a watermark function, I thought there was something in photoshop that would do it automatically instead of having to create the new layer on top of the picture.

I guess.. what I am doing is exactly what you are describing anyway correct?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:28 am
I'm kind of confused too.

Are you posting these on your own website? Do you have a way to handle payments?

The photo lab I use handles all this stuff for me -- image protection, payments, shipping, etc, if someone wants to order online.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:29 am
umm...yes!

You can either protect your work with a watermark as you are..or reduce the resolution.

Sorry to be repetitive...or if you are laready aware...but you DO have signed release? I wouldn't want to see you get in legal hassle, if you post on Internet and someone hasn't signed a release for their child's pix.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:35 am
Im sorry guys.
I am feeling confused about this as well so I am not wording my question very well.

I am creating a new website just for the day care.
On this website, I want people to be able to see the pictures so that they can order the ones they want.

What I want to do is prevent people from right clicking and saving.. so they can have the picture with out paying for it.

What I am worried about is that the watermark I created in my picture above , could be UNDONE easily and there for not leave my picture safe.

I am having to create an entire new layer of text for the results above and it seems to be a big step that Im hoping is shortened by something else in Photoshop.

What I want to know is if there are more secure ways to do this, or are all the water marks essentially what I have produced in the picture?

And.. I didnt know the photo lab lets you do that?
I need to look around more.
But I do agree Boom, they do great work. I have been using them since you sent me the link. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:40 am
Ragman wrote:
but you DO have signed release? I wouldn't want to see you get in legal hassle, if you post on Internet and someone hasn't signed a release for their child's pix.

yes.

from the entire school. Wink
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:47 am
What is this, a joke? Removing watermarks is easy. This took me like 10 seconds.

This image is far too small to be printed out so it doesn't really matter...but watermarking large images is also somewhat pointless because the larger the image is the easier it is to remove the watermark.

If you're actually worried about it, your only option is to show them only small images like, and then offer then the high quality large images when you buy.

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/3927/ezcu0.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:48 am
Stuh...that's what I previously wrote..I think.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:57 am
shewolfnm wrote:
What I want to know is if there are more secure ways to do this, or are all the water marks essentially what I have produced in the picture?

Yes, that is the only way. However, let me show you a way that is actually very difficult to undo.

Basically cover a large area of the picture, make the text transparent so they can still see through, but make sure the text is not a single constant color...thats why I put a gradient in it like this.

Nobodys gonna mess with this now. I could still undo it, but it would just be a pain.

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/7043/betterdo5.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:11 am
Shewolf, if you're using the lab I use I don't think you will even need to worry about watermarks -- you can't right click and copy from their site -- try it - it gives you a message saying "Use the left mouse button to click on images".

You will want to talk to them about opening a professional account if you want them to handle all the ordering, payment and shipping though because that is the only way you can set your own prices. The prints offered are more expensive and they expect you to have already done any corrections (this is a little trickier than it sounds) but they are printed on professional paper stating that the photo is copyright protected.

When you set up a professional account you can also link through to your studio name.

Since I don't do proof that way I've let my pro account lapse and don't remember all of the details but if you contact them they'll fill you in.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:23 am
boomer, if they are savvy enough to remove the watermarks then they are also likely savvy enough to download the image despite any such ineffectual preventative measures...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:25 am
You're probably right. I'm a computer theft dummy. I tried to steal one of my own images back from the lab and couldn't figure it out!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:31 am
I know there is no 100% sure fire way to stop ALL people from taking pictures.
I just want to stop most.

As Ragman suggested, and I said in my first post...

the only other way I see is to reduce the pixel size.

The very first picture I posted on the thread is a reduced pixel size picture.

Im glad to know that it came out on someone elses computer too small to work with.

Maybe I should just stick to that route and go with it.

I had a sinking feeling that watermarks were easy to remove.

(ohh and I might just look into getting a professional account later, but I have to have this project done in only a few days.)

I have all the pictures finished, and ready to go, I was just looking for a way to post them easily with out having to worry about theft.

I am using site kreator to post to because it is free, and this will be a temporary site anyway so no need in dumping money to maintain it.
0 Replies