Americans working in London

Tarah

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:05 am
My American son-in-law has moved to London and trying to get an office admin job and so far, no luck.

Has anyone experienced anti-American feelings here when it comes to work? I love Americans but perhaps I'm not in the majority of Brits.

Any tips?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 15,873 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Builder

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:23 am
Re: Americans working in London
Tarah wrote:

Any tips?

Fake an Aussie accent.

:wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:38 pm
In the '60's--and perhaps the situation has changed--English firms were forbidden by law to hire an American for any job that could be performed by a Brit.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:48 pm
Sometimes it's difficult to find the suitable job, so people react to it in all kinds of ways:

Anti-Americanism

They use to say the same about Paris but in my experience it's far from it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
Nowadays, you must have an UK (EU) work visa or permit.
Obtaining a work visa is a process that can only be undertaken by an employer who wants to hire you and can demonstrate why a particular American candidate fits that job better than any EU candidate

With an UK (EU) Spouse Entry Visa - that would be the case here - you are entitled to work in the UK.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 02:00 pm
Good point, Walter. He is fully entitled to work here.

The big problem is that if he can't get work then they'll have no option but to return to the States. He's very disheartened right now.

Francis, I met up with an American friend yesterday who was in London for a week to visit the theatre. Her first love though is Paris where she will be arriving today and she visits it at least once a year. She told me she finds people from Paris the friendliest of all. And that's WITHOUT knowing you!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 02:15 pm
Tarah, dear, you're too kind..

(Anyway, French are bashed a lot by some Americans).
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 02:42 pm
Quote:
The big problem is that if he can't get work then they'll have no option but to return to the States. He's very disheartened right now.

Tarah, I don't know you very well, so you're probably not aware of my situation, but I'm an American citizen living and working in England.
When I moved here, I initially tried to work in the public schools and though they approved my credentials, they were not going to give me any credit for my years of experience. So I privately tutored as a kind of free lancer, as well as doing part time stuff in shops (which was actually a lot of fun) until I stumbled upon a teaching job that was not in the public school system and did not base pay rates on years of experience-and since they had decided my American credentials and degrees were equivalent to the British-I'm getting paid the same as everyone else.

I know I was hired over British candidates, because they are now working as supply staff. Luckily they don't seem to have held anything against me (but I would understand if they did) and I really have to say- my working relationships here are as good if not better than they were in the states.

But I can totally understand the attitude of hiring British people first for British jobs. Isn't that the big brouhaha that's going on in the US with all the immigrants there-why should it be any different anywhere else?

In all the jobs I've done here though, I've found it almost an advantage to be American. It's seen as such a novelty-people are very pleasant. They joke about stuff, they call me "the Colonist" at work, but I'm just one of quite an international staff-which is how it would probably be in London-if not even moreso. I've found it extremely interesting, enlightening and a lot of fun.

Can he afford to do something part- time and casual at first until he can slip into something more full-time and permanent? That might be the way for him to get his foot in the door.

For me, this has been the experience of a lifetime. I hope it works out for him, so he can experience it too. Wish him luck for me.
hamburger

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:06 pm
tarah :
i wonder if your son-in-law might be able to find help and tips through the "london american ex-pat club".
i have no personal experience with that particular club or working in london but have generally found that meeting people is helpful for making contacts , getting references etc .
hbg

...AMERICAN EX-PAT CLUB...
0 Replies

Bob Kelliher

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:57 pm
@aidan,
What are the steps to take to work and live in london as an american?
How did u do it?
0 Replies