`Nanny' Laws Are Added to the Books

woiyo

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 01:43 pm
old europe wrote:
woiyo wrote:
I may have missed it but the article does not mention toy guns.

Seemed to me as if this bit here was about toy guns:

Quote:
If the measure is enacted, New Jersey would join several states that have restricted access to realistic toy guns to minors.

New York, for instance, got Wal-Mart in 2003 to stop selling toy guns that fail to have a non-removable orange stripe along the barrel. The retailer also agreed to stop selling toy guns in realistic colors such as black, blue and silver and paid $200,000 in civil penalties.

Scutari's bill would make it illegal to sell or give to anyone under 18 and imitation firearm, which is defined as anything "reasonably capable of being mistaken for a firearm."

I'm out of sequence. I was looking at the initial post.

This does not seem terribly unreasonable to force a toy gun manufacturere to make the product look fake. I think Blue Water Pistols will be OK and still be eligible for sale to anyone. But that Black .44 caliber cap pistol is another story.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 01:47 pm
I agree. I do think, though, that this should be an initiative directed at the manufacture and sale of them and not at people who buy them for their kids. If it's a toy (for kids) that can't be given to kids, then it's not a toy and shouldn't be advertised or sold as one. And if it's not a toy, then what is the point of a fake gun?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 01:58 pm
I think I'll go paint an orange stripe on my Armalite.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:39 am
Giuliani: Dems Want Nanny Government

Jul 30, 4:06 PM (ET)

By PHILIP ELLIOTT

MEREDITH, N.H. (AP) - Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani on Monday accused Democrats of favoring a controlling "nanny government" as he continued his bashing of the rival party.

The former New York mayor, opening a two-day campaign trip in the first primary state, also claimed that Democrats would raise taxes between 20 percent to 30 percent. He offered no specifics to back up those figures.

"Democrats are kind of falling over each other seeing who can raise taxes faster," Giuliani said. "It looks like they're going to raise taxes anywhere between 20 to 30 percent. John Edwards just said he's going to raise the capital gains tax double that. Last time we did that, we lost 40 percent in revenue. The last time we did what John Edwards is discussing, the United States lost revenue by basically discouraging people from making investments."

Edwards has proposed raising capital gains taxes for the wealthy while creating tax breaks for the middle class.

Last week, Giuliani called the Democrats the "party of losers" and singled out Edwards and Democratic Sen. Barack Obama for criticism on economics and foreign policy.

Giuliani argued that he favors less government and lower taxes.

"That's what makes America great, not this nanny government that Democrats want to give us, where government controls your entire life," he said.

Giuliani leads in some national polls, but trails former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney by double figures in the most recent New Hampshire surveys.

On Tuesday, Giuliani intends to outline his health care plan. Giuliani's goal is to give individuals more control over health care decisions and to encourage state officials to come up with innovative solutions.

Key to his plan is a $15,000 tax deduction for families to buy private health insurance, instead of getting insurance through employers. Any leftover funds could be rolled over year-to-year for medical expenses, under Giuliani's plan.

"That cash allows you to go out and buy cheaper and cheaper policies; you can have higher and higher deductibles," Giuliani said earlier this month in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

He compared private health plans to plasma TVs, saying the plans would come down in cost as demand grows.

Edwards criticized the pending plan in a statement.

"Rudy Giuliani's tinkering does not come close to solving the problems of a broken health care system that leaves 45 million uninsured or tens of millions facing financial ruin because of inadequate insurance," Edwards said.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:06 pm
Nothing like calling approximately 50% of the voting population losers. I'm sure he'll go far in the general election with that attitude.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm
Giuliani's Health Plan: 'Take care of yourself!'

Phip Elliot quoted by McGentrix wrote:
Key to his plan is a $15,000 tax deduction for families to buy private health insurance, instead of getting insurance through employers. Any leftover funds could be rolled over year-to-year for medical expenses, under Giuliani's plan.

"That cash allows you to go out and buy cheaper and cheaper policies; you can have higher and higher deductibles," Giuliani said earlier this month in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

He compared private health plans to plasma TVs, saying the plans would come down in cost as demand grows.

From agencies:

Quote:
Giuliani offered the broad outline of his plan but his campaign did not provide many specifics. Asked how much his plan would cost and how many of the people without insurance it would help, Giuliani said he won't have those answers for two or three months.

He also acknowledged that it could take years for insurers to drop their prices and make insurance affordable to those who don't have it.
AP
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:16 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Nothing like calling approximately 50% of the voting population losers. I'm sure he'll go far in the general election with that attitude.

The only thing Rudy has said that I agree with.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:50 pm
Gets my vote in the general election.
0 Replies