Edwards suspends campaign.

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:30 am
Family first.

March 22, 2007

Edwards to Suspend Campaign

John Edwards is suspending his campaign for President, and may drop out completely, because his wife has suffered a recurrence of the cancer that sickened her in 2004, when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, an Edwards friend told The Politico.

"At a minimum he's going to suspend" the campaign, the source said. "Nobody knows precisely how serious her recurrence is. It'll be another couple of days before there's complete clarity."

"For him right now he has one priority which is her health and the security of the two young children," said the friend.

As for the campaign, "You don't shut this machine off completely, but everything will go on hold."

UPDATE: Edwards staffers are pushing back very hard.

"Anything you are getting from someone claiming to know right now is not true - anyone claiming to know something right now is making it up. There is no information from this campaign until John and Elizabeth speak at noon," says spokeswoman Kate Bedingfield.

Politico
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,550 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:33 am
The politico is wrong. Elizabeth and John just announced that they are not, in fact, suspending the campaign.

The politico really is a piece of sh*t website

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:33 am
watching it now. the campaign goes on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:34 am
Good for him. I would vote for Edwards, and considered him the best candidate in 2004--although i have no illusions, and doubt that he could get elected. This, to me, is evidence of his sincerity. He may not be completely sincere, but i consider him to be more honest and trustworthy than are other politicians.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:37 am
Politico poo.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:38 am
Its easy to say nice things about Edwards. If true that he's suspending his campaign due to a resurfacing of his wife's cancer, it speaks well of his sense of proportion. One might wonder if this report is untrue what the source was? Perhaps the report originated in the political warfare indulged in by the front-running "super stars". Maybe not, after all no Democratic candidate would sink so low as to play dirty.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:42 am
It looks like it's not true that he's suspending his campaign. I can imagine that Elizabeth wouldn't hear of it.

Sad news, at any rate. (Interested in the answers to Fishin's questions re: bone cancer, I don't know so am just watching.) (Referring to this thread.)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:44 am
Asherman wrote:
Its easy to say nice things about Edwards. If true that he's suspending his campaign due to a resurfacing of his wife's cancer, it speaks well of his sense of proportion. One might wonder if this report is untrue what the source was? Perhaps the report originated in the political warfare indulged in by the front-running "super stars". Maybe not, after all no Democratic candidate would sink so low as to play dirty.

quit politicizing this slick.... Buddha wouldn't approve....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 10:45 am
Well, he said in the press conference, the campaign wasn't suspended, "The campaign goes on. The campaign goes on strongly," Edwards said, his wife by his side.

The reason for the "report" was that he cancelled a house party yesterday due to the visit at the doctor's.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:01 am
So where did the false report originate? That's not politicizing the thread, just a simple conjecture. Given the current need to ferret out political tricks, I wonder if this one will hold any interest those in the Democratic Party.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
Apparently this is the second 'scoop' Politico has gotten wrong this week.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:38 pm
Defying Reports, Edwards Stays In

March 22, 2007 | 12:58 PM ET | Permanent Link

The announcement this afternoon from presidential candidate John Edwards that he would stay in the race despite learning of his wife’s recurring cancer put to rest rumors that he would suspend or leave the race, which could have transformed the Democratic primary into a two-way battle between Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama. The Edwards campaign sent reporters a vaguely worded announcement late Wednesday night that the former North Carolina senator and his wife would hold a joint press conference today at noon, giving rise to speculation about the health of Elizabeth Edwards--who was diagnosed with breast cancer the day after Election Day 2004--and whether a recurrence would prompt Edwards to withdraw from the race.

The website of The Politico reported shortly before today’s press conference that Edwards would be suspending his campaign and possibly dropping out completely. The Edwards campaign immediately denied the report.

With his high name recognition, formidable fundraising ability, and strong grass-roots organizations in early 2008 primary states, Edwards may be the only candidate in the sprawling Democratic field who has a real shot at competing with the celebrity candidacies of Clinton and Obama. In a Washington Post/ABC News poll last month, Edwards was running third in a theoretical Democratic primary, with 12 percent support, behind Clinton, who had 36 percent, and Obama, with 24 percent. Recent polls in Iowa, home to the first caucuses of 2008, have Edwards in first place.

US News and World Report
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:12 pm
Imagine the ego of someone who believes that his personal leadership of the country is so important that he will put his campaign over being with and focusing his energy on his gravelly ill wife.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:46 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Imagine the ego of someone who believes that his personal leadership of the country is so important that he will put his campaign over being with and focusing his energy on his gravelly ill wife.

Good for Mr. Edwards!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:07 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

---------------------------------

Quote:
Barbara Frey of Piedmont missed the Edwardses' news conference. She was undergoing chemotherapy for her own stage 4 cancer, and she is now in her third year of chemo. She thinks Edwards is absolutely making the right decision.

"It is crazy to think of dropping out now,'' she said. "It is crazy for the public to look at her as a nearly dead woman who needs tea and sympathy. What she really needs to do is go on with her life. And that ought to include the things that bring you joy. Clearly, being on the campaign trail brought her joy.'

"I think,'' said Frey, who will need chemotherapy for the rest of her life, "it is tremendously courageous of them.''

Quote:
I know that fighting cancer is war because I have been in battle not once, but twice. [..] I have had countless tests, invasive examinations, chemotherapy, radiation and several surgeries; I was even hospitalized for four months. [..]

But Elizabeth Edwards is an example of a person living with, rather than dying from, cancer. [..]

Through treatment and recovery, I have been a hard-working TV producer, I have a social life, traveled domestically and abroad and have been an advocate for cancer issues. It hasn't always been easy to keep all the balls in the air, but what else could I do...sit around and be sick? If I did that, then cancer would be winning. So I live, and live the best life possible.

Thank you, Mrs. Edwards, for showing people that we, survivors, can thrive.

Quote:
Mary Lievore [..] has metastatic, stage 4 cancer, just like Elizabeth Edwards. [L]isten to what she had to say.

"I don't know of any more devastating news in life than that there is no more hope of a cure,'' she said. "But at the same time, life goes on. You can't just sit in a corner and drop dead.''

More here in the other thread.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 01:20 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

you mean imagaine the ego of a demkkkrat don't ya Tex? If you're n the right, you can shitcan them while they're on their cancer bed.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:44 pm
Miller wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Good for Mr. Edwards!

Good for unbounded ego!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:53 pm
nimh wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

---------------------------------

Quote:
Barbara Frey of Piedmont missed the Edwardses' news conference. She was undergoing chemotherapy for her own stage 4 cancer, and she is now in her third year of chemo. She thinks Edwards is absolutely making the right decision.

"It is crazy to think of dropping out now,'' she said. "It is crazy for the public to look at her as a nearly dead woman who needs tea and sympathy. What she really needs to do is go on with her life. And that ought to include the things that bring you joy. Clearly, being on the campaign trail brought her joy.'

"I think,'' said Frey, who will need chemotherapy for the rest of her life, "it is tremendously courageous of them.''

Quote:
I know that fighting cancer is war because I have been in battle not once, but twice. [..] I have had countless tests, invasive examinations, chemotherapy, radiation and several surgeries; I was even hospitalized for four months. [..]

But Elizabeth Edwards is an example of a person living with, rather than dying from, cancer. [..]

Through treatment and recovery, I have been a hard-working TV producer, I have a social life, traveled domestically and abroad and have been an advocate for cancer issues. It hasn't always been easy to keep all the balls in the air, but what else could I do...sit around and be sick? If I did that, then cancer would be winning. So I live, and live the best life possible.

Thank you, Mrs. Edwards, for showing people that we, survivors, can thrive.

Quote:
Mary Lievore [..] has metastatic, stage 4 cancer, just like Elizabeth Edwards. [L]isten to what she had to say.

"I don't know of any more devastating news in life than that there is no more hope of a cure,'' she said. "But at the same time, life goes on. You can't just sit in a corner and drop dead.''

More here in the other thread.

That two (or is it three) cancer sufferers approve of his position is no more or less convincing of an opinion than my own.

I can appreciate the sentiment they are expressing, but he doesn't have the disease. He is not fighting on with cancer.

I'm not saying he needs to dress in black and go into mourning for his wife, but in campaigning for the presidency, how much time will he have to spend with her during what may very well be her last months of life?

That she doesn't want him to pull out is not unexpected, but if he convinced her he was OK with it, that spending the remainder of her life with her was more important to him than being president, I, somehow, think she too would be OK with it.

It amazes me that any of these candidates have the ego and temerity to believe they are most qualified to lead the most powerful nation on the planet. They may tell themselves it is about service, but it is always about power and ego. Sometimes we the people benefit from the ego and thirst for power of elected officials, but it doesn't mean they have led the best lives available to them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:56 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

you mean imagaine the ego of a demkkkrat don't ya Tex? If you're n the right, you can shitcan them while they're on their cancer bed.

Another perfectly idiotic, fire-belly posting from BiPo.

I assume you are referring to Gingrich. For this senseless rant to have any relevance it would be necessary for you to find a post where I defended Gingrich's treatment of his dying wife. Of course you will not be able to do so, but since when does rationality play a part in your posts?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 08:07 pm
late to the party again tex?
0 Replies