Stupid is as stupid does

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:28 pm
I live in a heavily pedestrian town. I walk and a drive. When walking, I usually wait for a break in traffic and then trot accross the street - sidewalk or no sidewalk. When the road is too busy for that, I wait at the crosswalk and after 2-3 cars start glaring and edging out until someone stops and THEN I go.

My mother is one of those people who just walks out on the sidewalk, glaring. I keep tellng her the car would win and even if it teaches the driver a lesson, she'd still be in traction (at best) for a long time.

As a driver I hate a lot about pedestrians. I live near a high school and highs chool pedestrians are the WORST! The I'm-so-cool amble drives me nuts. I also hate it when adults push a stoller into the street infront of them.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:39 pm
snood wrote:
The worst places for this that I've seen are DC and Honolulu. In DC, people will stroll out into busy traffic like they're bulletproof. In honolulu, its considered very rude to honk your horn at pedestrians.

it is considered rude to honk just about anywhere in hawaii, especially in the waikiki area where the pedestrian right of way is rigidly enforced, can't have any of our tourist getting run over. it's bad for the tourist business.

oh and another thing about honking your horn at the car in front of you, especially at a stop light. there may emerge from that vehicle several rather large men of hawaiian or samoan decent who may look unfavorably at being honked at Evil or Very Mad . could make for a very unpleasant encounter with the natives. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:41 pm
i should add that if the above does happen to you and the gentlemen ask you "hey bruddah, you like beef?"

say no.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:19 am
The running of the bulls at Pamplona is the REAL Darwin Day.

They should just kill ALL of those people!

The world would benefit.....

Or - we couls just nuke their gonads....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:20 am
I got no beef wit you, man!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:38 am
Are the new Darwin awards out yet?

Anybody know about the 2003 awards?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:38 am
Current top two candidates for 2003:

Quote:

Cock Fighting

2003 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin
(12 January 2003, Philippines)

Cockfighting is a popular gambling sport in the Philippines. Roosters are aggressive creatures that fight one another in the wild to establish a "pecking order." When their natural arsenals of claws and beaks are supplemented with sharp steel spurs, these feathered animals are transformed into deadly weapons. A trained rooster is an extremely vicious creature.

Usually the fury of an enraged rooster is directed against another rooster in an arena surrounded by avid spectators. But at a recent match in Zamboanga, a cock owner was the target of his own bird. He had just strapped razor-sharp gaffs onto its legs when he lost control of the animal. The bird turned on him, and in "one rapid shuffle," its gaffs sliced through major arteries in his thigh and groin.

Despite routinely handling razor-wielding roosters, the man was not wearing protective clothing. He bled to death en route to the hospital.

Quote:
2003 Darwin Award Nominee

Confirmed True by Darwin
(11 March 2003, Spain)

Early one morning, police received a call warning that three robbers had invaded the bar of a Madrid brothel. The police dispatched several units, and confirmed that the call was true. Officers surrounded the building, and used a bullhorn to coax the offenders from the premises.

The robbers, understandably frightened, found themselves in an untenable situation inside a building surrounded by dozens of policemen. Their subsequent actions may have been influenced by the ready availability of alcohol. Instead of surrendering, they decided to go out in a blaze of glory, and tried to escape while shooting at everything in sight.

The policemen ducked, covered, and proceeded to shoot back at the running robbers. Two were fatally injured, and the third was wounded in his right leg.

Why was the gunfight over so quickly? The three robbers were carrying REAL guns loaded with FAKE ammunition. They were firing blanks, making enough sound and light to fool the police into shooting back, but not enough to actually help them escape.

And many more.

Vote - http://www.darwinawards.com/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:12 am
I've slapped a few cars in my day. If I've got the right of way, you are NOT inching in front of me. I've also been known to swing my umbrella widely when approaching busy intersections that I need to walk across - people with nice cars, who seem to be the worst offendors, tend to try to keep their distance when that happens.

A great-aunt of mine was an umbrella-wielder as well (it's where i got the idea to wave mine about). At 80+, she was jay-walking, was hit by a car, and as she was falling, whacked the car with her umbrella. She sued for bodily injury, and he counter-sued for damage to his car. She got a ticket for jay-walking but she won on the bodily injury claim. It was pretty clear that at her turtle-like pace, the driver could see her a long time before he hit her.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:16 am
ehBeth, I know that if I was in your vicinity, I'd just stop and watch the show Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:18 am
Yer bad! :wink:
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:20 am
No my dear, you be the baddest Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:08 pm
I like to hit cars violating crossing lights with my handbag.

It appears to sound exactly like a body being hit by a car, and I believe I have left several drivers of said offending vehicles with dirty undies.

Serves 'em right.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:56 pm
Did anyone see Jackass: The Movie? 'Rental car smash-up derby' was truly one of the funnier things I've seen in a while.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 02:12 am
I suggest spitting on cars when the driver is rude. No damage to the car or driver but it really bothers them.

If a car comes close to hitting you in a pedestrian crosswalk, pause and spit on the hood or windsheild. :-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 02:41 am
Takes a while to work up a good spit!

Or - are men's spitters built different?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:20 am
It is a matter of considerable pride to all males above six years of age to be able to expel copious hockers upon demand at any time and place.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:22 am
Ain't no cause for pride, believe me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:25 am
You display your obvious un-maleness.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:26 am
Yay! I KNOW!!!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:43 am
Shouldn't Craven's latest avatar be driving a tiny car?
0 Replies