Stupid is as stupid does

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:18 am
What is your take on people walking in crosswalks?

I hate people who just march out in the middle of traffic without even looking, because they know they have the "right of way."

For example, this morning I'm driving to work through the center of town, and a couple of fossils start walking out in the street when I'm about 15-20 feet away....I didn't come close to hitting them, but at the same time I could have stopped if I wanted to. But I was running late, and watching people do that pisses me off, so I drove by them. The guy was waving his hands in the air at me as I went by.

Another day, I was driving at night, and I had to lock my brakes up because some jackass was walking across the street, and because headlights were facing me in the other direction, I didn't see him until the last second. He started yelling at me..."I'M IN A CROSSWALK!" I swear I was so close to getting out of my car and throwing his dumbass in a snowbank.

Not sure about you, but last I checked, it takes a lot less effort+energy to stop yourself walking then it does to stop a 3000+lb automobile, and the car would certainly win that collision. When I'm walking, I prefer to give the bigger guy the right of way!

By the way: don't get me wrong. I do stop for people crossing, I'm generally talking about those who just strut in front of you expecting you to jam your brakes on for them. Anyway, that's my rant for the day. People are stupid. Carry on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,817 • Replies: 93
No top replies

the prince

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:21 am
For the second time in the day, I am nodding my head at what Slappy is saying !!

Forget crosswalks (I assume u mean Zebra crossing) people in London tend to take off on the road itself !!! GUess this is all part of the govt plans to make driving in the city as frustruating as possible !
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:26 am
Ironically, I suggested a 'Free Hits' day for pedestrians in a conversation last night. I think there should be one day a year where you can hit stupid people that walk out in front of moving vehicles. We could also call it 'Darwin Day', opening the doors to endless possibilities on all stupid people - people who slow down at green light 'just in case' it turns red, people who cannot tell the difference between a stop sign and a merge or yield sign, etc..

I think there should be rules, to make it fair. Obeying the speed limit, stopping at red lights and signs, and giving the right of way to pedestrians in a crosswalk that have a walk sign. Victims would include those you have mentioned in your post.

I would even consider slowing down for jaywalkers who move quickly. I always give leeway for people who show a little hustle.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:27 am
The worst places for this that I've seen are DC and Honolulu. In DC, people will stroll out into busy traffic like they're bulletproof. In honolulu, its considered very rude to honk your horn at pedestrians.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:28 am
Seems it's mostly young people who step out in traffic, moseying along, and they give you a look of dare, like you'd BETTER NOT hit them. That's when you want to step out of your car.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:45 am
Less drivers, less road rage. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:52 am
This stuff is almost nonexistent here.People stand at the crossings when the little man is red and stare at him until he turns green and then just walk blindly on!
Faith in the green man!Unbelievable.
I´m more for watching the traffic.When there´s no cars,I cross.I can always feel people tutting at me:"but the man is red."
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:53 am
People that cross, and walk really slow suck huge.

I used to have this white-trash trans am, 5-speed, and loud. I was driving one night and this teenager walks in front of my car...instead of slowing down, I swerved around him quick, while dropping the clutch and revving the piss out of the car...I swear he dropped a log in his pants. It was great.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:54 am
Goddamn piss pedestrians eh Hoo?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:56 am
Just hit 'em - we can label is as world population control - Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:09 am
Is running over old people considered 'thinning out the herd?'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:20 am
Slap has pointed to one of my favorite activities--whenever i am certain i can get away with it, when some pimple-faced shmuck just strolls out in front of me, i swerve toward them and speed up. Then you see some graphic examples of what Sug has referred to as "hustle."

I'm a bad man . . .
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:20 am
You are far worse than I first imagined.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:21 am
Some places where class difference is vast pedestrians are given less respect.

Thing is, it makes the roads dangerous for all. Everyone must walk at some point.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:24 am
I´ve heard that Cairo is the absolute worse place on this planet for crossing the road.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:00 am
In Jakarta, they drive on the sidewalks if the streets are full. The best place to travel is across roof tops, and then, be careful Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:20 am
10 points to whoever gets the old guy with the hat!

They just introduced a new humungeous fine up here for cutting off pedestrians, or not waiting for them to cross before entering walkway. $575 talk about Highway robbery.

Ceili
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:34 am
Here in Orlando fatalities in the wasteland outside the theme parks are not unknown. Tourists, arms loaded with $5 T-shirts and animals made entirely from glued together shells, stagger into 6 lane highways filled with speeding cars in which road maps are spread in front of windshields. The only surprising thing is that accidents are not more common.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:38 am
What's the bigger fine: cutting off pedestrians, or cutting off their legs?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:44 am
every body should be armed. if I drive, I have to know that the old fart crossing is packin major artillery. Now that pumps up your day. On the other hand, Ill wip out my Buntline and Send a few well placed Rc 59-60 mags with WC tips into your engine block if Im the crosser. That would just be fair. "LTGB"
0 Replies