0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:57 am
I would drive a Hummer, but I much prefer receiving them
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:04 pm
This is all a culture thing.

In the UK motorists usually stop at a crossing, but in France they seem to accelerate in order to knock the people off perhaps with some legal escape clause in mind ("ee was not on ze crossing officer").

But hang on ! Have you guys ever actually tried crossing the street
yourself? Have you never experienced how pedestrian unfriendly they are ? You too will be transformed into a seething pedestrian crusader after five minutes carrying a few packages in the rain !
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:18 pm
I walk from the T or my car, etc., so I'm a walker and a driver. I even get frustrated with the morons I walk near. I just think to myself "Listen, ass, stop walking close enough that I can feel your breath, or slow enough that I can't get around you, wait for the light to turn green, and THEN try and cross the street". I bet these are the same people that stop at yield signs and hit the gas to cut off everyone already in a rotary. They drive like they walk - like idiots.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:19 pm
What truly pisses me off is the way idjits behave in a parking lot. It's not the open highway, pedestrians are a given, an' no one is meant to roar through at 35 miles an hour. I always come to a complete stop for pedestrians in a parking lot, and i will step in front of anyone's vehicle in a parking lot. Some dick in a suit once bumped me with his Mercedes while i was walking from the jeep to the entrance of a store, so, as i fell onto his hood, i snapped off the hood ornament, and then walked around and tossed it into his lap. Then i leaned in close and asked him if he could spell law suit. He went red in the face--he was seething. He never spoke a word.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:26 pm
I was just thinking of posting an equal and opposite rant last night.

I live near an area that is pedestrian-heavy, little stopsigns but no stoplights, tons of people walking. Yesterday evening, I was trying to cross one of these 4-way stops, but the cars would like barely tap their breaks and then surge forward. About 5 different cars "stopped", and then I realized I was just gonna have to pick my moment, did so, and hustled big time, sozlet on my hip. Some idiot in an SUV, post-tapping, rolled his eyes at me, and I looked him in the eye and yelled "HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GET ACROSS THE STREET, THEN???" He shook his head, continued to talk on his cell phone, swerved so he passed about 2 feet behind me, and if I hadn't had the sozlet I swear I would have run after him (another stop sign a block away), pounded on his window, and started something. Almost did with her.

There's a thoroughfare 1 block East of where we were, and if he was in a hurry, he should have stayed the hell on that.

I walk a lot, and this happens ALL the time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:26 pm
Whoa, Setanta! Nice!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:29 pm
Sugar, I think it comes down to one thing. People are idiots.

Except me.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:31 pm
Slappy, no one said you are people :razz: (but do stay the way you are Laughing )
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:32 pm
Soz, this one time this chick came up to my car banging on my rear window yelling at me.

Then I realized she wanted me to pay her or something. Damn hookers.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:32 pm
But didn´t you own a Trans-Am?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:54 pm
Hell yeah. 1983, black, 5-spd manual, 305ci V8, with snow tires year round. Looked like someone shot the side with a machine gun, all rust spots on the doors. That car must be making some redneck proud as a lawn ornament somewhere.

Man, was I a ladies man with that thing.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:20 pm
I´m sure you appealed to only the finest of the young society belles,Hoo.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:53 pm
Sozobe --

For situations like yours, I recommend hitting the body of the car really hard with your flat hand. You won't cause any damage, but for some reason, the person inside the car hears will hear a really, really loud noise. People like this SUV driver don't care about you yelling. But they'll be really alarmed when they sense something might be wrong with their beloved car. You might want to use this to better communicate your message Wink

-- Thomas
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:54 pm
Now that's a good one . . . the loud noise comes from the echo box effect of the "dead space" between the outer and inner body panels . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:03 pm
Ah. Advice noted. Will do next time I DON'T have the sozlet with me.

E.G. has done that. (We both are really pissed about the idiot drivers around here, but it's at least partly because the area has marketed itself well as a date/ sports event destination, and the police tell us that they have orders from the city to not be too strict and thereby discourage these visitors. Rolling Eyes How idiotic is that?)

The yelling is not so much for noise as for expression, etc. In fact I said "yell" but I think I mostly mouthed it. (Didn't want to spook the kid.) Usually my glare works pretty well, but this guy was too wrapped up in his cell phone conversation, or something. Grrrr.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:21 pm
Um, not sure if walking up to a stranger's car and hitting it is a good idea. I wouldn't let anyone get away with it!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:34 pm
E.G.'s 6'2" and can look pretty intimidating when he's mad, but yeah, it hasn't gone over real well.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:35 pm
I think some folks just take their stupid drugs (e. g. drugs that make them stupid) and get behind the wheel. Or start walkin'. Or get on their bikes.

Gaaahhh!!!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:48 pm
I wouldn't hit anyone's car. My guy is pretty well built and a woman did that to his car when she thought he was mean not to stop in the middle of an intersection at a green light. (I was in the car - she was in the wrong). He made a motion like he was going to get out and she damn near peed herself. If it was a guy, he probably would have gotten out.

People are violent enough - I don't think crossing the street is worth getting pummeled or shot or run over.
0 Replies