the universe and space....?

ican711nm

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:22 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerqy wrote:

1 - Its not random since it seams plausible that all possible Universes exist in Multiverse...
2 - None if all possibles are actuals...there´s nothing left aside in Everythingness to create something else, just as there´s nothing to Nothingness to speak in a before or after...HOLISTIC approach !
3 - What is to be true, since proved in itself as a Whole, does n´t require to be proved otherwise, neither it can...

What do you think is the chance of anyone eventually proving that any of these statements or even any parts of these statements of yours are true?

0 Replies

justintruth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 07:57 am
@pyko,
You need to look into the embedding theorem of topology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_embedding_theorem

It is always possible to imbed on space into another so you can think of the universe as existing in a space of higher dimensions. However, you must remember that that space is no part of the universe so is it real?

The hard part is to see that space can be finite and unbounded. You cannot imagine that space but you can imagine what it would be like to be in it. Imagine that no matter what direction you go you end up back where you start. Now imagine you do that several times and you find that the distance back to where you started is shrinking. You even find out how fast it is shrinking. Suppose it is simply loosing one foot a day. You can then project a time in the future when the distance will reach zero. Then there will be no space left in the space you are in.

If you don't realize that space can be round then its hard to see.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:55 am
@justintruth,
And I always had the impression that space was expanding, not shrinking.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:22 pm
@pyko,
pyko wrote:

ok, I've been thinking about this question for sometime now. (I hope I can explain it clearly as sometimes I have been known to have really twisted thinking)

Firstly, I think I can safely say that to create/move an object you will need some space to do it. eg, you need space to move from A to B, and you need the space in the kitchen to make a cake.

Ok, now I know that there has been a lot of discussion on whether the universe was created by God, or the Big Bang (or something of that sort).

But my question is, where did the space for the universe to come into existence come from? This universe - however big it is - must need some space (space as in room to move space, NOT space as in moon, star, sun space) to start its existence, otherwise what is it in??? But then I suppose this also becomes an even more twisted question when you ask, where did the space for that space come from (and so on and so forth)?

space came from the existence of objects

both simutaneously

justintruth

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:24 am
@north,
Unless there was empty space before the existence of objects.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:31 am
@north,
Both simultaneously? Are you familiar with the Buddhist principle that "form is emptiness and emptiness is form"?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 10:25 am
@justintruth,
jit, I have a question for you; if we live outside our solar system, do we age faster or slower? Do we age at all?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
In relation (relative) to whom ???
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:57 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
In relation to living in our solar system.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 01:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
C.I. are you not thinking of the effect on our age (relative to people remaining still on earth) of traveling at high speeds?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 01:24 pm
@JLNobody,
Not really; it's only an assumption that man will never realize. It's only based on possibilities with many "ifs" that can be addressed by physicists who understand time and space.

Since age in our solar system is based on time (our solar system), I just wonder if those same aging process would happen outside of our solar system?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 07:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Our Solar System is a huge place with lots of stuff moving at all kinds of speed...what is the relative referent speed ? that is the correct question to be made ?
(nevertheless the difference won´t be significant...quite negligible)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 07:22 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I understand that, but the function of time in space is not the same as in our solar system. We understand age by our clock which is based on our sun. There are millions of suns out there in space; their function of time is not the same as it is on planet earth.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 09:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Since age in our solar system is based on time (our solar system), I just wonder if those same aging process would happen outside of our solar system?

I would say it is rather the intervals in which time is measured that differ, not the pace of the biological process. If there was life on Mars, and I was born there instead of on earth, I would count my years differently. I'd be around 17 years old. But I don't think I would have the physical body of a 17 year old (in earth terms). I tend to assume that it would be in the same stage of aging as a man born on earth at the same time, who would count 32 laps around the sun in the time I made 17.

I realize this is not outside our solarsystem, but even one rock over makes a difference.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 09:44 pm
@Cyracuz,
That's the best explanation I've heard so far on this topic, and it makes sense.

Just because we base our age on earth's time as measured by our days and years, it's only a measurement we humans created that allows us to understand age as we see it.

0 Replies

Virtue

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 11:23 pm
I suggest you to read a few articles about String Theory, the theory of everything, as they call it. This theory has not been proven, but many people believe it's right.
Also, sometimes some questions have not been answered due to lake of knowledge. You should try to find one.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 11:33 pm
@pyko,
According to the Big Bang Theory,
space was created, expanding,
as mass explodes in all directions;
likewise time was created n expands.

I 've not read this thread.
Maybe this notion has already been posted; maybe not.

David
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I understand that, but the function of time in space is not the same as in our solar system. We understand age by our clock which is based on our sun. There are millions of suns out there in space; their function of time is not the same as it is on planet earth.

Our clock is based on Earth and its movement around the Sun, the Sun itself is relative to the Galaxy at large, thus moving in it from the Apex to the Ponex...the Sun itself it can be compared with any other object but as most of them rotate around their own solar systems its best to compare it with other suns out there...

...as far as I know astronauts in orbit age slightly more slowly then us, but that effect is negligible to any significant (visible) amount of time.
Another important bit that one should retain is that the ageing process "feels" the same to the one is ageing, and only a compared data can show the difference in clocks...so it may well be that we can be ageing faster when compared to X objects out there and slower when compared with Y...to us we are simply ageing "normally" and there´s no difference to be seen...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:02 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
The way we measure time on earth would be different on different planets, because they rotate at different speeds. We also know that the moon doesn't rotate, the "time" on the moon is constant - except for the fact that we humans use earth time to measure moon time.

I'm not so sure about your assumptions on orbit age.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 01:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The way we measure time on earth would be different on different planets, because they rotate at different speeds. We also know that the moon doesn't rotate, the "time" on the moon is constant - except for the fact that we humans use earth time to measure moon time.

I'm not so sure about your assumptions on orbit age.

As I said earlier, it is negligible...

...here, some quick math on the matter...
Quote:
I considered the ISS speed v as 8000 m/s or 0.00002667c (c is the speed of light). Then I calculated the epsilon factor as epsilon = sqrt ( 1 – v^2 / c^2 ) = 0.9999999996443555 Finally I applied the epsilon factor to the ISS orbit time (3013 days * epsilon) and found out that the resulting difference is 0.0925 seconds.

That means that time inside the ISS has so far been about one tenth of a second slower than the time down here on earth.

LINK: http://ideonexus.com/2009/02/17/how-much-does-time-dilate-for-the-iss-astronauts/
0 Replies