Question for those who work in an office

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
Do the night cleaning people dust your office?

Vacuum?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,745 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:25 pm
mostly they just empty the garbage cans and clean the bathrooms.

about once a week they also dust and vacuum...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:28 pm
funny
HAHAHA!
That's pretty funny.

I work in a State office. We're fortunate if they dump the trash under the desks. In fact, they don't we have to do that ourselves. hopefully they leave us enough trash can liners.. Dusting, I do that myself 3 times per week.

When I worked for a corporation (computer firm), the office (cube farm) procedure was to leave the trash bucket outside your office cube entrance, but you dumped the recycling bucket yourself. I think they vacummed once per week...but not very thoroughly. You cleaned your desktops and countertops yourself.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:30 pm
every engineering firm i've worked in has had janitorial help...

Chai,

meant to ask -- why do you ask?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:36 pm
No, basically it's what Region said... the vacuuming and garbage removal does depend on the contract, either daily or weekly.

Usually, though, they will not dust desks and other furniture because of material on the desks. They don't want to be responsible for losses.

And they won't disinfect your phones unless you specify that.

The contract is everything.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:41 pm
The whole thing, but one visit per week. Don't know about disinfecting the phones.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:04 pm
When I worked for a big corporation, the night people dusted, vacuumed, disinfected the phones, emptied the trash nightly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:14 pm
Not off topic, but to the side of the subject:

From my morning newspaper:

Quote:
IN THE OFFICE

7. In the office, which is germiest? (Arrange from most to least.)

a. Toilet seat

b. Phone

c. Mouse

d. Keyboard

e. Desktop

http://www.mcall.com/features/health/all-germsffffmar20,0,1251209.story?page=2&coll=all-ent-hed
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:40 pm
Noddy, I couldn't find the answers!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:58 pm
Mame--

Sorry--the answers weren't on line.

For Question #7 (high to low):

B. Phone
D. Keyboard
C. Mouse
E. Desktop
A. Toilet Seat.

Of course the study was commissioned by the people who make Clorox disinfecting wipes.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:28 pm
Wow, didn't expect this to become a "featured" item.

Why do I ask?

I work in an office complex, and the people who pick up the trash must do multiple buildings, and frankly that all I expect of them.

My boss is one of these people who often have unrealistic expectations, but that another story.

Anyway, this month she's targeted in her mind the fact the cleaning people don't dust. Since she's a nurse, and had worked in medical clinics earlier in her career, she thinks cleaning people do what a janitorial service does in a medical setting, including daily mopping, using disinfectants, etc.

I've pointed out to her the cleaners probably have about 3 minutes per office, and really don't have time to do housekeeping. I've been there at night and on the weekends, and seen them working. They're not sitting around.

She can get indignant easily, since the world basically revolves around her, (ask her, she'll tell you it does) and I'm at the other end of the spectrum, of "eh, I can do it myself, no biggie"

I was wondering if I was too easy going.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:39 pm
It depends on the contract and the business, I would think. I imagine a large firm would have janitorial service that does the minimum and leaves employees to take care of their own space outside of vacuuming / trash. A smaller business that see's high dollar clients and where appearance is important would likely contract for more detailed cleaning.

I work in a clubhouse and I'm the only office / employee. Darn tootin' they better dust, vacuum and clean windows. I have enough to do and the appearance of my office when residents come in is important.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:03 pm
Our cleaning people empty out all trash cans, recycling included. Will take out any boxes etc marked as 'trash.' They will wipe down kitchen counters, desk areas (not computer, phones etc.) on special request (you are required to empty - or at least, unclutter - your work space). Likewise, they will vacuum open areas (corridors, etc.) - but they only go under people's desks etc. once a week. Same for our conference rooms etc. If we have a special meeting coming up mid-week, we post a sign for them at the end of the day asking them to vacuum a particular conference room, wipe down counters, tables etc.

They do *not* do dusting around the offices. Everyone, from the admins up to the veeps, dusts their own bookshelves & whatnots.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:08 pm
We had the cleaning personal employed ourselves - offices were cleaned daily, more properly once or twice a week (depending how much time I actually spend in it :wink: ).

That was in the good old days until about ten years ago.

Then, she got reduced her cleaning hours ... and we had to do most ourselves.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:09 pm
No one, but no one, had better dust anything in my work area.
I would go off like a Fourth-of-July fireworks display.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:12 pm
George, I wanted them to keep their hands off my stuff, too, but standards change and now I have to clean up the desk and put stuff away to keep it from being displaced.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:13 pm
i can always tell when they've dusted here -- the keyboard and mouse have been nudged, and there are tiny dust rhinos everywhere Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:14 pm
Ours just empty the trash, and I know that someone at some point vacuums, but that's about it. Bathrooms and coffee rooms get real cleaning but our offices certainly don't.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:15 pm
Every office I've worked in had either daily or every other day trash pickup and weekly vacuming. They dusted conference room table snad cleaned kitchen/breakroom areas but anything more than that was the person's responsibility to clean up.

As other's have said though, it all depends on what services you've contracted for.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:34 pm
roger wrote:
George, I wanted them to keep their hands off my stuff, too, but standards change and now I have to clean up the desk and put stuff away to keep it from being displaced.

I'll need to bring in a team of archeologists to help me if and when I ever
clean up my workspace.

Soon to be a major motion picture...
Raiders of the Lost Specification
0 Replies