What Do You See When You Look At The World

snookered

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
How I see the world is what I would imagine HELL to be.
Now, the way someone sees the world in my opinion depends on thier social status, the ability of having empathy. How the world as a whole affects them directly. How tuned to World Events they are. Contractor's in Iraq may very well see a different world because of the tons of money they make .
All I know is that, I am glad that I do not have a child growing up in this mess.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:03 am
I see the world as an amazingly beautiful, wonderful place full of promise and possibility. There are more happy, healthy, striving people on the planet every day, and science and technology are constantly improving our lot. Sure, there are trouble spots and set-backs, but I think people focus on the negatives waaay too much. For example, there are more starving children than ever before. There are also more well fed children than ever before. What percentage of all the children are starving? "WHO" stats are on my side! So, people don't give enough to African charities. A couple of generations back we were capturing them for slaves !!

Apart from all that, hell, I'm alive !!! I'm making the best I can of that opportunity. I don't imagine I'm likely to get another shot at it.

I hope to raise my kids to see the world the way I do.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:29 am
Eorl wrote:
I see the world as an amazingly beautiful, wonderful place full of promise and possibility. There are more happy, healthy, striving people on the planet every day, and science and technology are constantly improving our lot. Sure, there are trouble spots and set-backs, but I think people focus on the negatives waaay too much. For example, there are more starving children than ever before. There are also more well fed children than ever before. What percentage of all the children are starving? "WHO" stats are on my side! So, people don't give enough to African charities. A couple of generations back we were capturing them for slaves !!

Apart from all that, hell, I'm alive !!! I'm making the best I can of that opportunity. I don't imagine I'm likely to get another shot at it.

I hope to raise my kids to see the world the way I do.

Erol, I'm happy for you. I'm not seeing your paradise probably from probably from one or more of the reasons I posted.
Their are parts of the world that are beautiful. But this beauty will be gone because of man.

I would guess that you are a young man. Do you have kids? I was lucky to have a childhood where we could play outside at night, rode my bike 8 miles to go fishing. My father could spank me and the teachers had wooden paddles with holes drilled in. We didn't even considering calling the police. Most People were nice. You know all that good stuff.

But evolution is working right in front of us and most people don't see it. It's not a coincidence that kids are indoors playing computer games. It is why they are so smart and already adapting to life inside. I'd say that by the time they are in the work force, they will already be evolved to work completely inside. What little land that is left because of flooding will crowd people on less land.

You think that it is hot now? In 30,40 or 50 years the heat will make it intolerable to venture outside. But then again, people will;l have to wear suits like astronauts.

This is only if the United States stops trying to control the word and work with it. I don't see that happening.
So keep those rose colored glasses close.
Good luck to you and you family.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 07:55 am
Re: What Do You See When You Look At The World
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I see, just behind a slightly luminous curtain, a brutal, dangerous, treacherous place where one slip will, in the blink of an eye, cause you to lose your footing and slide from any heights you've achieved to the bottom of the abyss. A place where one must constantly be on the lookout for the betrayal, the accident, the disaster beyond one's control.

Sometimes, when I am riding my bike or on the water, lost in music and performance, or enjoying time with my wife and children the curtain drops and I see the world as a beautiful and wonderous place. It's those moments that get me through the rest of my life.

I think life is a series of many bad things punctuated by just enough wonderful things to keep the carrot in front of the mule. That just goes to show the power of the good in life I guess. Even in small doses it keeps you going.

I'm still glad to be here.

How do you view the world?

I agree with the beauty to which u referred, Bear.
Except for late 1956 n early '57, I have really enjoyed it and
continue to do so, tho I can see room for some improvements.

I wish a very Happy Easter for u, Squinney and your cubs.
May the Easter Bunny be good to all of u.
David
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 10:08 pm
Bi-Polar said: "I think life is a series of many bad things punctuated by just enough wonderful things to keep the carrot in front of the mule. That just goes to show the power of the good in life I guess. Even in small doses it keeps you going."

I see life as a series of objectively neutral things which I define as good or bad depending on my mood, values, and interests. The world and its properties and events are beyond good and bad. The world just IS. I am (we are) the creator(s) of its meaningfulness.
That's one form of existentialism: Existence precedes essence.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 08:14 pm
some times i look out at the world and i'm horrified
sometimes i think it must all be a joke
The more i look the less i understand
Trouble is
I can't stop looking
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 05:11 am
I don't want to jinx myself, or make it look as if I am bragging, but in my life I only see happiness and oppertunity.
I suppose I have everything, which I am not always as thankful for as I should be.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:37 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I don't want to jinx myself, or make it look as if I am bragging, but in my life I only see happiness and oppertunity.
I suppose I have everything, which I am not always as thankful for as I should be.

Having everything and being happy is a wonderful thing. Would you be happy if you didn't have such opportunity and had to struggle just a bit like many people do? Would achievement be more valued if you had to struggle?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:50 am
Last year, when I took my A levels and two grade 8 practicals, I worked so hard. I basically worked from 7 am to 10 pm, and only gave myself an hour off for lunch and tea, and sunday afternoon off.
The day I got 3 A's for my A levels I was ecstatic. So I know what its like to 'struggle' and to achieve. The thing is that I love learning and it didn't come as a chore to me.
I think I would be equally as pleased if I had found it easier to get my A's, but not doing the work would have run the risk of not getting them.
I think its true what Aristotle (or someone) said about man gaining happiness by achieving small goals.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:01 pm
Your diligent work and study ethics are to be commended. It's not by accident that you will have many successes in the future.
When you say that you have everything, is that to mean that you have just everything your needs require, or an abundence of material things, family love, and good health?
I'm curious because not all wealthy people are happy or content as you seem to be.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:27 pm
I am no way rich. In fact my dad went bankrupt a couple of years back. (read my 'my dad is an old git' thread) That makes it sound as if i have a crap family life, but I don't really. I get on ok with my parents, they have brought me up nicely and nurtured my gift for music. I have absolutely amazing friends who I wouldn't change for the world, and a very devoted boyfriend.

I guess the real reason I'm happy is because I am so self centred. I treat myself as a project and everything I do always has a purpose, whether it's to educate, or even just experience things.
My self centred-ness used to get me into quite a bit of trouble, I had a bit of a low patch about a couple years back, and went on anti-depressants actually, but I am really greatful for that, because it showed me how my self centredness can really effect people, and now I am a lot different to how I used to be.
I am really hard working and basically I get all my gratification from that. I am aware that at the moment I live in a 'false enviroment' where I get praised for doing good work, and once I am out of university It won't be the same. There are a million other people like me and I realise that it isn't likely that I become a composer (my dream job), but after I have travelled and I have a job (maybe a professor or choral director, or arts and events manager, or teacher or something), I'm sure that so long as I can paint and compose music in my spare time I will always be happy, because I have these things to gratify me.
This will probably be the best point in my life because I have all of this waiting for me, and to look forward to, to work towards.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 02:13 pm
Bear and I have pretty much complete opposite views of the world.

I see the good in people. I expect good things to come my way. I don't anticipate or expect problems because I expect things to go well. I don't worry about things I can't control. When I have to rely on others and they fail to do what is expected, it isn't the end of the world. I really can't think of anything that would be so seriously important as to throw me into tantrum or depression cause person A didn't do... Life isn't that serious.

I don't expect alterior motives. Sometimes I have to think real hard about what someones angle is. Sometimes I don't "get it" until after its over. Then Bear wonders why on earth I couldn't see THAT coming. I'd make the worst politician ever cause it would be impossible for me to keep up with all the scheming.

My Mom is pretty much the same way. We aren't oblivious. I know there are nefarious characters, but I also know I don't have to do anything to exact personal revenge for petty things. I figure karma will take care of it, and even if it doesn't I won't know.

I agree with JLNobody. Things are neutral, not good or bad. I define them. I choose to define most things as good. There is no dark abyss in my world view. I have trouble even wrapping my head around such dark ideas.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 06:59 pm
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
The thing is that I love learning and it didn't come as a chore to me.

The greatest of the things you "have" is surely that bit right there!

I have it also, and I value it as my greatest treasure....one I can share with my kids without having to diminish my own supply.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:03 pm
I see the world as me, cowering in the corner of an abandoned building, listening to the sounds of black helicopters circling dangerously near. I pull my collar up and wait.

Every once in awhile I hear the scream of a lamb.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:25 pm
I was going to write something a bit snide in an effort to be funny. But I changed my mind. If I were to be completely honest here I would have to say that for the most part... I see our world as a place of perpetual pain.

Now before you stop reading please let me explain.

We are living in times where things are much worse than I believe they have ever been. There's more crime, murder, rape, car accidents, cancer, fear, you name it, we've got it. It's everywhere. We are surrounded. It's an endless cycle of dysfunction passed on from one generation to the next and the next and the next. And it seems to get worse with each passing generation.

Some days it could almost seem we've lost our humanity completely. If the primary focus remains the pain we are surrounded by. I like what seed said about balance. About realizing he was out of balance. Because part of my perspective is that yes, we are surrounded by pain but that does not mean we have to be consumed by it.

Life is about taking the lessons we've learned and running with them. Sharing them. Giving back even when sometimes we don't feel like anyone is giving to us. Some of the greatest impacting things on my personal life have been the most simple kind gestures from a complete stranger. A smile on a day I was feeling blue. Not stealing my parking spot even though they could have. Waiting to hold a door for me when they saw me coming.

Simple things. Little things. That remind me that though many people we are surrounded by suffer on some level, still just something small can impact them and change their path one small degree. Which indeed seems small, but 10 miles down the road, that person is 20 miles from where they could have been.

So our world, though most often times may seem dark and gloomy, is filled with hidden treasures. Mostly found in the people you would suspect it in the least.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 08:05 pm
Treya wrote:
IThere's more crime, murder, rape, car accidents, cancer, fear, you name it, we've got it.

Can you back that up with per capita stats? Because I think you are wrong. The media just makes it look that way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 08:47 pm
We can't no to a certainty if there is more crime proportionally as compared to past eras, because the collection and verification of demographics on a nation-wide basis in any country is only slightly more than a century old.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 08:50 pm
More than anything else, i see the "world" as indifferent to my existence. I see the cosmos as indifferent to the existence of the human race. That makes me (and in the later case, "us") responsible for the quality of life. Nobody out there to bail us out, it's up to us.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:21 pm
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 11:42 pm
Setanta says: "More than anything else, i see the "world" as indifferent to my existence. I see the cosmos as indifferent to the existence of the human race. That makes me (and in the later case, "us") responsible for the quality of life. Nobody out there to bail us out, it's up to us."

Set, that's more or less what I said.
0 Replies