What Do You See When You Look At The World

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:31 am
I see, just behind a slightly luminous curtain, a brutal, dangerous, treacherous place where one slip will, in the blink of an eye, cause you to lose your footing and slide from any heights you've achieved to the bottom of the abyss. A place where one must constantly be on the lookout for the betrayal, the accident, the disaster beyond one's control.

Sometimes, when I am riding my bike or on the water, lost in music and performance, or enjoying time with my wife and children the curtain drops and I see the world as a beautiful and wonderous place. It's those moments that get me through the rest of my life.

I think life is a series of many bad things punctuated by just enough wonderful things to keep the carrot in front of the mule. That just goes to show the power of the good in life I guess. Even in small doses it keeps you going.

I'm still glad to be here.

How do you view the world?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,761 • Replies: 77
No top replies

Seed

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:38 am
if this question had been asked of me a week ago you would have gotten a complete and total different answer. but as of now i see a very uncaring world where the ones who say they love you the most are really just looking out for themselves. And i am beginning to think that that is not a bad outlook on life. I ahve never been one for much depression, but i find myself slowly falling into the abyss that is such.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:45 am
Usually I see endless possibility and sunshine. Sometimes I see dark clouds, but they allow me to appreciate the sunshine. I love sunrises and new beginnings -- sunsets bring darkness and endings. Sunsets can be beautiful, but I much prefer sunrise. I see the seasons the same way. I love spring with it's warmth and renewal. Fall is beautiful, but signifies endings and the coming winter.

In general, I tend to view the world through a prism where hope springs eternal.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:46 am
the fact that world is what it is.... and I believe it is as I described it does not necessarily mean you have to fall into depression. Accept the fact that that things are as they are and take your pleasures where and when you can, be grateful for them, but keep your guard up.

The only living things that ever just relax completely are either at the very top of the food chain or at the very bottom and........ there's always a bigger fish. :wink:

Enjoy your life, just be practical. Love people, just don't harbor any unrealistic feelings about them. Remember, there ARE a few saints running around but we generally kill them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:46 am
Existentialism, eh?

I see the world or, more precisely, the people in the world as imperfect and impermanent but occasionally reaching for glory (resplendent beauty or magnificence). The grandeur is in the attempt, not necessarily in the achievement.

I try to forgive the flaws of others, in hopes they will forgive my flaws in return.

I see most people as basically good, but with too many evil persons preying upon them. Our too-crowded world has created an anonymity that is dangerous.

Which is not to say the daily grind doesn't get me down from time to time, but I hold to the beauty I see in my wife and kids, and try to remember to treasure every moment.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:47 am
DrewDad wrote:
Existentialism, eh?

This was in response to Bear's initial post.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:48 am
very well put drew dad you old philosopher you.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:48 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Enjoy your life, just be practical. Love people, just don't harbor any unrealistic feelings about them. Remember, there ARE a few saints running around but we generally kill them.

I can roll with that.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
but it is so hard not to get depressed when you have seen the things i have, or the things that have happened to me.

Though i also know this is selfish because many people have gone through what I have and have come out just fine. But i also feel that after years of looking on the bright side of things that I have become unbalanced. I do not know what the dark side looks like and this is my first real trip into the darkness. I am not sure whether I should embrace it or push it to the side. i feel if i push it to the side I will just become more and more unbalanced and inevitably cause me to fall from a higher pedestal and hit harder when i land
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:57 am
don't ever apologize for the way you feel. Your feelings, your problems, things you struggle with are real to you. Own them and do your best. that's all you can do but NEVER feel ashamed of them, because not a one of us has problems we asked for, they just come with the territory.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:03 am
Life is a series of ups and downs. Neither lasts.

You have to ride out the down times, Seed, and know that good ones are bound to come because everything keeps changing. And when times are good, you have to enjoy every single minute of it.

Live intensely in the good times, less so in the bad times.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:08 am
Eva, an eternal ray of sunshine... Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:17 am
La la la la la...... Laughing

I've gotten through some pretty awful stuff by halfway closing my eyes to life, Bear. Haven't you? Sometimes that's the sanest thing you can do.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:46 am
I view the world as an endless amount of possibilities, and life is what you make of it. Life doesn't have to be easy in order to be happy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:22 am
I try to look at the world exactly how it is. I see the good, the bad and the ugly. Also the pitiful, the funny, the stupidity and the genius. Oh, and don't forget the beauty.

I see a world where people have taken simple things and needlessly made them complex. I think a lot of heartache and problems of all types come from this need to fool with things that were meant to remain simple.

I see everything interconnected in some way, and when one string is pulled needlessly, it upsets the balance of the entire web.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:22 am
I see large breasts everywhere I look. Makes life bearable.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:33 pm
Quite like you, Bear.

The world to me seems like a malt ball. Looks so chocolately delicious, but once you start enjoying and sucking it enough, you get to that poison-malt center.

I figure the trick is to keep tasting and enjoying, but don't suck too long on anything.
Inevitably though, curiousity gets me to see if just maybe this time ...
but there is ALWAYS malt in there somewhere.
0 Replies

kse

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:33 pm
What do you see when you look at the world
My view is ever changing. I think this world is our vehicle to God. We can either choose to drive on his road or not, it's our choice. Destination and journey all in one. But on another level I do see life as a blank slate on which to draw what you want. Power to be happy is in our own hands, regardless of our circumstances. Not that there won't be a thousand obstacles standing in the way, but those obstacles are what make great people great, when they choose to use them for launching pads. It's all good, right?

I think all the really evil people take their pain and either bathe in it until they are seething mad and throw it back at anyone around them. And if you do that long enough you don't feel remorse anymore. Or they are full of fear and that drives them. It sucks. Whoever said we kill the few saints around was right.
0 Replies

kse

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:36 pm
Um, that malt ball thing totally makes sense! Does that make me a freak?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:19 pm
I guess for myself I've seen a huge, seemingly endless ladder to climb for the past several years. Do this to get here, then get that to go there, then work really hard for this opportunity so you can have this then...etc. I've tried to slow myself down, enjoy the ride more, take in the sights more, enjoy the cool moments that much more etc, focus less on this mightily important future, steer clear of placing too much worry or emphasis on weighty goals etc.

More far reaching I see one big massive argument fractured into a myriad of smaller arguments between people. I also see so many polarised debates and opinions, this or this, that or something else, choose A or B, follow me, don't follow him (not open discussions but agenda driven ones). I'd guess at the big argument revolving around whether people focus on themselves or others, personal identity being at the forefront. There seems to be a scary amount of people who seem to be genuinely terrified of the world and of losing themselves in it. The fractured arguments being examples of these issues in our day to day lives. Puzzling.
0 Replies