Better UN than US administering Iraq

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:57 am
Rumsfeld Doubles Estimate for Cost of Troops in Iraq

By THOM SHANKER

WASHINGTON, July 9 - Gen. Tommy R. Franks said today that violence and uncertainty in Iraq made it unlikely that troop levels would be reduced "for the foreseeable future," and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld nearly doubled the estimated military costs there to $3.9 billion a monthThe bleeding treasury
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:44 am
Setanta wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Apples and oranges IMO. Afghanistan was "retaliation". Iraq is supposed to be a "beacon" that will cause "a ripple effect". I hope there is more motivation to succeed in Iraq.

I hardly consider that to be to the point. Doctrinal statements mean nothing when it comes to "nation building," it is action, and action alone which can give any evidence of the probable success of such a venture. Afghanistan was promised "nation building"--and nothing has been accomplished. So far, feck-all has been accomplished in Iraq. It is a good thing that you hope for the best; it is not a reason to believe that the best will occur, however.

It was a simple point:

Afghanistan was a promise that some feel can more easily be forgotten, the US was seen by many as retaliating for 9/11.

In Iraq, without the WMDs it is being painted as a liberation. There are many who are interested in a positive result because they argued so stridently that it would give a positive result.

This is evident in that anything good that happens is supposed to be part of teh ripple effect. Take the roadmap, it's moving because Bush focused attention on it but it's painted by many (including some here) as a result of the war.

My point was not that Iraq's rebuilding is going so well so much as that the people who started the war have it in their interest for it to turn out well.

I am aware of our track record and how good intentions have been stated in the past, I'm just hoping. Hoping that the people who are now using the liberation of Iraq as the casus belli have the motivaton to see it through.

Since they spoke of a "beacon" and the "ripple effect" I hope they feel the need to put their money where their mouth is.

'Tis all. A hope.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:12 pm
au1929 wrote:
Anon
I would say the same thing if the damage he was and is inflicting was only to himself. However, we the citizens of the US will have to pay for his folly. While he struts around and acts macho.

The American People voted in the Republican House and the Republican Senate so they can do whatever they want to do.

There are no stops, and that is the will of the American People!

So now, they can pay the price of their stupidity!!

Anon
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:22 pm
The Better Business Bureau says if its false advertising we can get our money back. can we sue for damages?
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:51 pm
Dys:

Somebody get a Trial Lawyer!!

Anon
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:54 pm
Sue before they pass tort reform.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:22 pm
anon
The question asked on CNN this AM was [ in light of what the repubs are trying to do in Calif] Which office holder would you most like to have recalled.

MR. MACHO IN THE WHITE HOUSE WAS MY CHOICE.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:26 pm
With daily shootings and rocket attacks against U.S. soldiers claiming two more lives, even Iraqi policemen said Thursday they want to keep a safe distance from coalition troops for fear of getting caught in the crossfire. Several dozen Iraqi police, most wearing new uniforms provided by the U.S. military, marched on the mayor's office in Fallujah, a restive town west of Baghdad, insisting American soldiers stop using their station as a base.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:56 pm
The administration continues to contend that these attacks are the work of a few Saddam loyalists. People who swallow that are not using critical thinking. The attacks occur all over the country, and throughout Baghdad. Either there are pockets of these alleged loyalists all over the country and the capital--in which case they are the many and not the few--or they have meticulously planned and efficiently carried out the attacks, avoiding interdiction and without revealing their hiding places. In the latter case, this either calls into question the efficiency and skill of our counter measures, or it suggests a well organized body operating with considerable skill and planning with expert foresight. When Rummy and his ilk pass out the "disgruntled few" BS, they are counting on the ignorance of the public to swallow the story. The last thing they would want to admit is that the attacks occur randomly in widely separated areas because there are a great many Iraqis who oppose our presence, and have reached the end of their personal rope, to become willing sacrifices just in order to get a shot at the GI's. To suggest that would be for the administration to admit that we could well be sinking into a quagmire.

I frankly believe the widespread discontent explanation to be the most plausible, and acknowledge that a certain amount of the attacks are made by former Saddam loyalists. But it's just too widespread and random for me to imagine a scenario which does not include a comprehension of growing frustration, anger and hopelessness. If these idiots had had a plan to get things up and running in place, and had acted quickly upon it, they could have obviated a good deal of the hostility.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 05:01 pm
I read a few journalists questioning the admin for always calling them Saddam loyalists as opposed to 'we don't like foreign army' types.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 05:59 pm
I think I heard somebody say that 19 countries are helping with the post war Iraq security, and that 19 more countries are discussing if they will also help. I'm just wondering what those 19 countries that said they were going to contribute to the security of Iraq is really doing besides talk. Only American and British soldiers are getting killed. c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:16 pm
"
Quote:
we will stay there as long as we are needed and not one day more
"
So who defines needed?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:31 pm
Tommy Franks, ofcoarse. Besides that, it's costing American tax payers four billion every month to be in Iraq. That's at a time when our state budgets are bleeding real blood, and they're cutting back on medical care for the American People - not to mention schools (to leave no child behind), our roads and infrastructure, and domestic security - all done for the American People. c.i.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:16 pm
AU1929:

I am truly unsympathetic about the results of having the group of thieves that presently run the country.

From the election of 2000, to the election of 2002, I put in unending hours trying to avoid a Republican Sweep of control. Regardless, the Republicans have swept, and they are running the country unrestricted. That is what the American People voted for! Unrestricted Republican control to run the country according to an unrestricted Republican agenda. They are now reaping from the seeds they have sown. Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn!!

Now it looks like California is in danger of losing it's Democrat Governor.

I give the hell up! I have been told repeatedly by the right wing contingent to leave the country if I didn't like the way things are run. I have decided to do it. I am cashing out across the board ... home, business, and American investments.

I'm moving to a country that isn't Nazi Heaven!!

Anon
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:05 pm
ANON
Where may I ask is the utopia you are moving to? Remember the grass only seems greener in someone else's yard. In any event I wish you good luck and health wherever you chose to go.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:17 pm
Quickie: I was shocked at the unanimous senate thngie asking for the admin to seek Nato and/or UN help.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:19 pm
Craven, You sure that wasn't anonymous? c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 10:29 am
No Iraqi governing council yet

Posted: Saturday, July 12, 6:06am EDT

Iraq's US-led provisional government is in "the final stages" of setting up a governing council that will be the first national Iraqi political body since the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime, but no date has been set for establishing the council, a senior Western diplomat told The Associated Press.
Several international media outlets had reported the council would be named this weekend, and US officials said Iraq's American administrator, L. Paul Bremer, would hold a news conference Saturday where he was expected to announce the makeup of the council. The meeting with reporters, however, was canceled early Saturday. No reason was given.

That would be a step in the right direction that as every thing else in Iraq is unexplicably delayed.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 02:50 pm
India, Pakistan and Portugal, which the Pentagon had hoped would deliver between 25,000 and 30,000 soldiers, were now insisting that the United Nations approve a UN mandate for the force first.

In the meantime, Portugal was ready to send just 120 paramilitary police rather than regular soldiers, according to the report.

USATODAY
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 03:57 pm
AU1929:

Ever been to Rome??

Anon
0 Replies