Iraqis are more optimistic than Congress

okie

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:07 pm
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259405,00.html

The poll of Iraqis indicates most are optimistic, most prefer life after Hussein, and the vast majority do not think their country is in a civil war. Maybe somebody needs to tell Congress that, as the Democrats especially seem to think just the opposite. Maybe if they went to live in Iraq instead of America, they could once again be connected to reality and optimism? In their present mindset, they appear to be a bunch of losers and pessimests, hopelessly attached to mindless defeatism.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,233 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:11 pm
Ah yes, we know it's all true because it was reported at Fox News!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:23 pm
you may also plan a vacation in iraq - and i'm not kidding - or north-korea , iran and other places . anyone forming up a travel club ? Shocked
hbg

...YOUR NEXT VACATION : IRAQ , NORTH-KOREA , IRAN ... ?...

(perhaps i should have posted this under "vacation" :wink: )
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:24 pm
Actually, Okie is spinning this poll more than even Fox News is.

Only 49% of thoses polled were willing to say that things were better now than they were under the Saddam regime. 42% were said it was either worse or the same (and the rest didn't answer).

The results of the "is Iraq in a civil war" question are a bit surprising. I would love to hear the alternative explanation for the turmoil in their country. I wonder how many people think that the violence is caused by the American occupation.

Which brings us to the other interesting question in this poll

Quote:

One question showed the sharp divide in attitudes towards the continued presence of foreign troops in Iraq. Some 53 percent of Iraqis nationwide agree that the security situation will improve in the weeks after a withdrawal by international forces, while only 26 percent think it will get worse.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:27 pm
ebrown_p quoted :

Quote:
Quote:

One question showed the sharp divide in attitudes towards the continued presence of foreign troops in Iraq. Some 53 percent of Iraqis nationwide agree that the security situation will improve in the weeks after a withdrawal by international forces, while only 26 percent think it will get worse.

i don't think that divide is surprising . as i posted elsewhere , the sunnis and the kurds seem to want the u.s. troops to stay .
the sunnis are afraid of being either killed or marginalized by the shiites , while the kurds think they need the protection of the u.s. against (possibly) turkey .
from what i've read , the kurds seem to have established at least a "semi-autonomous" state within iraq and are not willing to give it up easily .
hbg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:16 pm
littlek wrote:

Liberal news sources are afraid to print any news like this because it will appear that Bush doctrine might work.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:50 pm
Quote:
Liberal news sources are afraid to print any news like this because it will appear that Bush doctrine might work.

"might work" ? and that after "mission accomplished ? not very re-assuring , is it ?
hbg
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 08:53 pm
littlek wrote:

And of course the big 3 networks NEVER lie aboout what they report,do they?
I mean,things like the Bush records that Dan Rather reported,the exploding pickup trucks that ABC(I think) reported,etc.

None of that was either a lie or an attempt to "spin" a story,was it?

Why dont you apply the same standards to the other networks that you apply to FOX?
Are you afraid the other networks wont measure up either?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:05 am
Pessimism 'growing among Iraqis'

Quote:
Less than 40% of those polled said things were good in their lives, compared to 71% two years ago.

However, a majority of those questioned said that, despite daily violence, they did not believe Iraq was in a state of civil war.

More than 2,000 people took part in the BBC/ABC News poll.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:08 am
revel wrote:

Quote:
Less than 40% of those polled said things were good in their lives, compared to 71% two years ago.

However, a majority of those questioned said that, despite daily violence, they did not believe Iraq was in a state of civil war.

So,since a majority of the people polled in Iraq dont think there is a civil war,why do the people on the left here on A2K,who HAVE NEVER BEEN TO IRAQ,continue to say that there is a civil war?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:13 am
mysteryman wrote:
revel wrote:

Quote:

So,since a majority of the people polled in Iraq dont think there is a civil war,why do the people on the left here on A2K,who HAVE NEVER BEEN TO IRAQ,continue to say that there is a civil war?

I don't know all I know is that when I read of two or more separate groups fighting inside the same country I think of it as a civil war. I believe that is what the definition of a civil war is as well.

Quote:
a war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country

source
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 09:02 am
from the "indianapolis star"(hopefully not a "left wing rag") :

Quote:
Four years after the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, Iraqis describe daily lives that have been torn apart by violence and a faltering economy. Bursts of optimism reported in a 2004 public-opinion survey taken a year after the invasion and another in 2005 before landmark legislative elections have nearly vanished.

Interviews with 2,212 Iraqis -- a survey sponsored by USA Today, ABC News, the British Broadcasting Corp. and ARD, a German TV network -- find a nation that has fragmented into fear. Six in 10 Iraqis say their lives are going badly. Only one-third expect things to improve in the next year.
That's a dramatic change from November 2005, when an ABC News poll found that seven in 10 Iraqis said their lives were good and nearly as many predicted things would get better.
Other findings:
Of 429 Baghdad residents surveyed, none felt safe in his or her neighborhood.
Outside Baghdad, two-thirds of residents called their neighborhoods unsafe. About 38 percent said they avoid leaving home; 42 percent stay away from markets; and 59 percent are careful about what they say.
The poll, taken Feb. 25 to March 5 with a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points, found that Iraqis by 43 percent to 36 percent said life was better now than before the war. However, that contrasts with the optimism in the November 2005 survey when, by 51 percent to 29 percent, Iraqis said life was better.

not very optimistic considering that the prediction was that u.s. soldiers would be greeted with flowers .
one has to wonder , where have all the flowers gone ?
hbg

...BAGHDAD RESIDENTS FEEL LESS SAFE...
0 Replies