• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,333 • Replies: 25
No top replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:42 pm
Happy Anniversary!

"Five days or five weeks or five months, but it certainly isn't going to last any longer than that," Rumsfeld said in 2003 (also quoted as "six" in each appropriate spot). Donald Rumsfeld.

Mad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:52 pm
A date that will live in infamy.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:35 pm
As well as an administration...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 08:54 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Sorry,but that date was 12/07/1941 when Roosevelt allowed the Japanese to attack Pearl Harbor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 09:20 pm
You mean there was only one day of infamy in all of history?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 10:59 am
mysteryman wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Sorry,but that date was 12/07/1941 when Roosevelt allowed the Japanese to attack Pearl Harbor.

You're makin' **** up. You shouldn't lie like that, and you should at least attempt to provide "evidence" to prop up your bullshit.

If FDR "allowed" the Japanese to attack, why was the November 27th "War Warning" messages sent? Your so consumed by your partisan hatred of Democrats, that you're willing to make up any kind of fairy tale which makes them look bad.

Quote:
Nov. 27, 1941

ACTION: CinCAF, CinCPAC

INFO: Cinclant, Spenavo

This dispatch is to be considered a war warning. Negotiations with Japan looking toward stabilization of conditions in the Pacific have ceased and an aggressive move by Japan is expected within the next few days. The number and equipment of Japanese troops and the organization of naval task forces indicates an amphibious expedition against either the Philippines, Thai or Kra Peninsula or possibly Borneo. Execute an appropriate defensive deployment preparatory to carrying out the tasks assigned in WPL 46. Inform district and Army authorities. A similar warning is being sent by War Department.

Spenavo inform British. Continental districts Guam, Samoa directed take appropriate measures against sabotage.

Copy to WPD, War Dept.

Source

A specific attack on Hawaii was not forecast, because no one knew where the six largest carriers were--Kaga, Akagi, Hiryu, Soryu, Shokaku and Zuikaku had just steamed for Hawaii when the war warning message was sent. Yet you attempt to suggest that FDR knew what Naval Intelligence was unable to learn--the location and intention of Japan's six largest carriers. That Pearl Harbor was successfully attacked, with the scale of the destruction and the light Japanese casualties are all attributable to the failure of Walter Short and Husband Kimmel to reasonably and effectively respond to a war warning message.

But Republicans froth at the mouth at the mere mention of FDR, so they go loony and make accusations which they cannot support.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 01:12 pm
FDR knew there was an attack coming,but he didnt know where.
He failed to place Pearl Harbor on a war footing.
He made no secret that he wanted into the war,and a case could be made that he had been fighting an "undeclared war" since 1939,with instances like the attack on the USS Greer in the summer of 1941.

The war warning sent on Dec 7 was sent to late to warn the military at Pearl.

There are many other questionable acts and decisions made by our govt regarding the warnings and actions leading up to Pearl.
They ignored intelligence provided by both the Brits and the Russians,they ignored their own commanders that had reported a Japanese Fleet leaving Japan.

I have no personal hatred to or for Roosevelt,I think he was a great president.
But,you cannot ignore the fact that he wanted into the war (albeit against Germany),and he knew his actions against the Japanese would lead to hostilities.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:30 pm
mysteryman

IMO the day of infamy was the date that the USSC anointed the moron president of the US.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:32 pm
au1929 wrote:
mysteryman

IMO the day of infamy was the date that the USSC anointed the moron president of the US.

Then that date has not as of yet occurred.
The USSC has NEVER "annointed" anyone as President.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
mysteryman wrote:

That is correct--and that is why the war warning message was sent, ten days before the attack.

Quote:

Had he interferred directly, i'm sure the conservative attack dogs would have criticized him for micro-managing. Kimmel and Short were the resonsible officers on the scene, they were warned that hostilities with the Empire of Japan were expected within a matter of days. Kimmel did virtually nothing to place the fleet on a war footing, and Sunday was just another Sunday to him. Short reacted by ramping up his paranoia about fifth columnists, and putting ammunition under lock and key (a disaster for anti-aircraft gunners on that Sunday), and clustering the fighters in the centers of the airfields, away from the fences, and his imaginary fifth columnists--who never materialized. They were sitting ducks for the fighters sent to suppress air defense.

Look up the Martin-Bellinger Report sometime--more than eight months before the attack, the two staff officers--Army (which controlled the U.S. Army Air Forces in Hawaii) and Navy--who were responsible for air operations warned of the likely consequences of an air attack, and made recommendations for the defense of Hawaii from such an attack. Neither Kimmel nor Short made any effort to act upon that report.

And you say that FDR did nothing to put Hawaii on a war footing--that's the most pathetic charge you could make. Just what did you expect him to do? Travel there himself and follow Kimmel and Short around to make sure they did their jobs. Go breath down the necks of Marshall and King to make sure they did their jobs? Get a grip.

Quote:
He made no secret that he wanted into the war,and a case could be made that he had been fighting an "undeclared war" since 1939,with instances like the attack on the USS Greer in the summer of 1941.

Yes, FDR itched to get into the European war--and the Greer incident took place in the North Atlantic. But FDR had no way of knowing that Yamamoto had planned the attack on Hawaii, and even if he had, he had no way to know that the idiot Hitler would declare war on the United States after the Japanese attack. Even the officers of the fleet--apart from Fuchida and Genda who had planned the attack and trained the crews, and Nagumo, who commaned the First Air Fleet--did not know the target until they were at sea, and under radio silence regime, which they maintained all the way to the target and back to home waters.

Quote:

Look at the source i provided above, and read some reputable sources, as opposed to crack-pot, wild-eyed conspiracy screeds. The War Warning message was sent November 27th, ten days before the attack.

Quote:
There are many other questionable acts and decisions made by our govt regarding the warnings and actions leading up to Pearl.

That doesn't constitute evidence, it constitutes sour grapes and wild accusations.

Quote:
They ignored intelligence provided by both the Brits and the Russians,they ignored their own commanders that had reported a Japanese Fleet leaving Japan.

Got a source for that wild horseshit? No one, absolutely no one knew that the First Air Fleet had been created, much less where it was, and where the six carriers were--and that includes Naval Intelligence, who knew a hell of a lot more about what was going on in the Pacific, and about the Imperial Fleet than did the Brits or the Russians or anyone else. You're just making **** up now.

Quote:
But,you cannot ignore the fact that he wanted into the war (albeit against Germany),and he knew his actions against the Japanese would lead to hostilities.

This is almost too naive to merit a response. Read something reliable on the subject some time. In particular, read the Japanese negotiating terms, if they even merit the name--the Japanese were undermining their own ambassador to the United States, Admiral Nomura. The Japanese were rushing headlong to war with the United States, and doing their damnest to spark hostilities. When Yamamoto's plan was accepted, they set up Nomura, and sent him to delay the Americans, to attempt to prolong negotiations until the attack could be launched. Nomura did not learn of the operation until the attack had been launched.

Naval Intelligence lost track of the six largest Japanese carriers, and when the naval codes were changed at the beginning of November, 1941, they were able to fairly quickly identify the bulk of the Imperial Navy, poised for the Southern Operation, but they failed to find Nagumo's First Air Fleet, and did not in fact even know of its existence. But they had broken the diplomatic code, and that, coupled with the evidence which Naval Intelligence was able to assemble, as well as the ominous character of what we didn't know (the location of the six largest carriers, two very fast battleships--Hiei and Kirishima, two very fast and heavily armed cruisers--Tone and Chikuma, and a very large squadron of the new and excellent Kagero class destoyers. It was precisely because of what the government had learned from the diplomatic intercepts, and the complete lack of information for such a large number of important Imperial Navy warships that the war warning message was sent.

So what did you expect Roosevelt to do, MM, fly out to Honolulu and get in everyone's way, while neglecting all of this other duties?

What goes on with the blame FDR conspiracy freaks is that they just can't accept that the Japanese pulled off one of the most brilliant surprise attack operations in the history of warfare. They'd rather accuse the President of casual treason than to admit that a people who we despised in 1941 could kick our asses so thoroughly in a few hours of a Sunday morning.

You're peddling bullshit.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

That is correct--and that is why the war warning message was sent, ten days before the attack.

Quote:

Had he interferred directly, i'm sure the conservative attack dogs would have criticized him for micro-managing. Kimmel and Short were the resonsible officers on the scene, they were warned that hostilities with the Empire of Japan were expected within a matter of days. Kimmel did virtually nothing to place the fleet on a war footing, and Sunday was just another Sunday to him. Short reacted by ramping up his paranoia about fifth columnists, and putting ammunition under lock and key (a disaster for anti-aircraft gunners on that Sunday), and clustering the fighters in the centers of the airfields, away from the fences, and his imaginary fifth columnists--who never materialized. They were sitting ducks for the fighters sent to suppress air defense.

Look up the Martin-Bellinger Report sometime--more than eight months before the attack, the two staff officers--Army (which controlled the U.S. Army Air Forces in Hawaii) and Navy--who were responsible for air operations warned of the likely consequences of an air attack, and made recommendations for the defense of Hawaii from such an attack. Neither Kimmel nor Short made any effort to act upon that report.

And you say that FDR did nothing to put Hawaii on a war footing--that's the most pathetic charge you could make. Just what did you expect him to do? Travel there himself and follow Kimmel and Short around to make sure they did their jobs. Go breath down the necks of Marshall and King to make sure they did their jobs? Get a grip.

Quote:

Yes, FDR itched to get into the European war--and the Greer incident took place in the North Atlantic. But FDR had no way of knowing that Yamamoto had planned the attack on Hawaii, and even if he had, he had no way to know that the idiot Hitler would declare war on the United States after the Japanese attack. Even the officers of the fleet--apart from Fuchida and Genda who had planned the attack and trained the crews, and Nagumo, who commaned the First Air Fleet--did not know the target until they were at sea, and under radio silence regime, which they maintained all the way to the target and back to home waters.

Quote:

Look at the source i provided above, and read some reputable sources, as opposed to crack-pot, wild-eyed conspiracy screeds. The War Warning message was sent November 27th, ten days before the attack.

Quote:

That doesn't constitute evidence, it constitutes sour grapes and wild accusations.

Quote:

Got a source for that wild horseshit? No one, absolutely no one knew that the First Air Fleet had been created, much less where it was, and where the six carriers were--and that includes Naval Intelligence, who knew a hell of a lot more about what was going on in the Pacific, and about the Imperial Fleet than did the Brits or the Russians or anyone else. You're just making **** up now.

Quote:

This is almost too naive to merit a response. Read something reliable on the subject some time. In particular, read the Japanese negotiating terms, if they even merit the name--the Japanese were undermining their own ambassador to the United States, Admiral Nomura. The Japanese were rushing headlong to war with the United States, and doing their damnest to spark hostilities. When Yamamoto's plan was accepted, they set up Nomura, and sent him to delay the Americans, to attempt to prolong negotiations until the attack could be launched. Nomura did not learn of the operation until the attack had been launched.

Naval Intelligence lost track of the six largest Japanese carriers, and when the naval codes were changed at the beginning of November, 1941, they were able to fairly quickly identify the bulk of the Imperial Navy, poised for the Southern Operation, but they failed to find Nagumo's First Air Fleet, and did not in fact even know of its existence. But they had broken the diplomatic code, and that, coupled with the evidence which Naval Intelligence was able to assemble, as well as the ominous character of what we didn't know (the location of the six largest carriers, two very fast battleships--Hiei and Kirishima, two very fast and heavily armed cruisers--Tone and Chikuma, and a very large squadron of the new and excellent Kagero class destoyers. It was precisely because of what the government had learned from the diplomatic intercepts, and the complete lack of information for such a large number of important Imperial Navy warships that the war warning message was sent.

So what did you expect Roosevelt to do, MM, fly out to Honolulu and get in everyone's way, while neglecting all of this other duties?

What goes on with the blame FDR conspiracy freaks is that they just can't accept that the Japanese pulled off one of the most brilliant surprise attack operations in the history of warfare. They'd rather accuse the President of casual treason than to admit that a people who we despised in 1941 could kick our asses so thoroughly in a few hours of a Sunday morning.

You're peddling bullshit.

To be honest,I'm not blaming FDR for anything.

But I find it interesting that you cant handle the fact that I am using the same "logic" you and others have used to blame Bush for 9/11.

You and others have claimed that since he knew an attack might be planned,somewhere,that it was his fault that the WTC was attacked.

Now,when you get hit with the same "logic",you go on the defensive.

BTW,there is plenty of evidence that question your account of what happened,even thought you dont want to see it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:47 pm
What I'd like to know is, how long does it take to train Iraqis, when it only takes weeks to train Americans?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:54 am
edgarblythe wrote:
What I'd like to know is, how long does it take to train Iraqis, when it only takes weeks to train Americans?

Those americans are being trained by experienced NCO's and officers,who already have the training and knowledge to lead.

The Iraqi's dont have that core of experienced officers and NCO's to train new recruuits.

YES,if we had not disbanded the Iraqi army(which was a mistake) then we would not be taking as long to train the Iraqi's.
Before you can train an army,you have to train the people to train others.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:55 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Different frame of mind and a different type of training. As far as I know we moved them away from officers running the military to NCO's like ours is run. That type of training takes time. Sure you can train them to fire rifles and move as units, but there is more to it then that. Our military is run by the NCO's which is a departure from the way militaries in that part of the country have been trained for just about forever.

It was because of this that units of special operations groups were able to be captured and not reveal many things. Because the officers ran the military in Iraq they didn't think a non-officer would know any information and we encouraged that fact by placing control decisions into the hands of "officers" and allowing the NCO's or enlisted leadership who really controlled the decisions to play dumb.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:55 am
I finally found a quote from edgar that I 100% agree with...

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 13:49 Post: 2492142 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Good on you, Bear. Me, I'm one of those squish for brains liberals that bites the hand that feeds me. I am a piece of **** cowering under the table while the robust heroes go out and pave the way of freedom with their own blood and guts. I would put me out of my misery, but I am too cowardly to do anything but whimper and wait for my welfare check to arrive. I would deserve it if a suicide bomber put a burning sack of dooty on my doorstep.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:18 pm
mysteryman wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Good on you, Bear. Me, I'm one of those squish for brains liberals that bites the hand that feeds me. I am a piece of **** cowering under the table while the robust heroes go out and pave the way of freedom with their own blood and guts. I would put me out of my misery, but I am too cowardly to do anything but whimper and wait for my welfare check to arrive. I would deserve it if a suicide bomber put a burning sack of dooty on my doorstep.

You must have searched long and hard for that one. If they can't learn it in four years, what makes you think they will learn it in ten?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:24 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

You must have searched long and hard for that one. If they can't learn it in four years, what makes you think they will learn it in ten?

Actually,I posted it because I thought it was funny,nothing more.
As to the question you asked,
Ittakes 4 years for any of the military academies to turn out a competent,but barely qualified officer.
I say that because those academy grads might have the book knowledge and the title,but they do not have the experience to actually lead.
Thats why they dont come out as Generals or Admirals.

To train a qualified NCO takes many years.
Most of the NCO's in todays military have at least 10 years in the service,many of them have much longer time in.

So,while it is possibel to turn out an NCO or an Officer in 4 years,it takes much longer then that to actually give them the practical knowledge and experience to make them true leaders.
You just cant give them the rank and expect them to be instant experts.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 06:12 pm
The anniversary of the invasion of Iraq is not something to be remembered, it was the fall of US credibility around the world; president Bush has a lot to answer for, not only did he and his cohorts demonize other countries such as Iran, Syria, North Korea etc., he even demonized the once admired and respected United States of America and that is very sad; it is going to take a long time for that country to win back the trust of the world
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:16 pm
mysteryman wrote:
To be honest,I'm not blaming FDR for anything.

But I find it interesting that you cant handle the fact that I am using the same "logic" you and others have used to blame Bush for 9/11.

That is a lie. I have never made such a claim.

Quote:
You and others have claimed that since he knew an attack might be planned,somewhere,that it was his fault that the WTC was attacked.

That is a lie. I have never made such a claim.

Quote:
Now,when you get hit with the same "logic",you go on the defensive.

No, that's not so--i've never made the claims you have attributed to me, and in fact have laughed at and contradicted the September 11th conspiracy nuts when they've shown up here. If you peddle lies, that makes you a liar. It also constitutes a stawman, since you are attempting to discredit my argument on FDR by making reference to an argument which i have never advanced.

Quote:
BTW,there is plenty of evidence that question your account of what happened,even thought you dont want to see it.

I sincerely doubt if you can trot out any of the Pearl Harbor conspiracy bullshit that i have not seen, but if you feel up to it, have at it, i'll be more than happy to point out that it is bullshit, and why i say as much.

The simple fact of the matter is, the Americans of the late 19th and early 20th century were racists with regard to the Japanese, and had been for generations. They simply could not accept the inevitable conclusion that we had been blindsided with a brilliantly planned and executed attack by the very people we had harrassed and ridiculed for so many years. It was easier to claim that we were the victims of a deep dyed conspiracy than to admit that we got our asses handed to us by the Japanese.
0 Replies