Big Shake-Up by Gov. Patrick

Miller

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 08:52 am
Aide to Patrick's wife steps down: Gov taps 2 new advisers in shake-up
By Dave Wedge

Boston Herald Chief Enterprise Reporter
Friday, March 16, 2007 - Updated: 01:28 AM EST

While a shroud of secrecy continues to surround the hospitalization of Gov. Deval Patrick's wife, her controversial taxpayer-funded scheduler has resigned, vowing to put their friendship above her job.

The resignation of Amy Gorin ends another political embarrassment for the new governor, who came under heavy criticism when it was revealed that he hired Gorin to be his wife's $72,000-a-year personal handler.
Gorin, a close family friend of the Patricks who co-chaired his successful campaign, said in a statement: "At this time, I want to be as helpful as I can to Diane as a friend and I feel that I can best accomplish that outside of the Executive Office."
Sources said Diane Patrick remains hospitalized, but aides to Patrick refused to release any new details on her progress with her recently disclosed bout of depression and exhaustion. They declined comment on when she may return to work.
"On both a personal and professional level, I appreciate Amy's service. She will continue to be a valued adviser and friend to me and Diane," the governor said in a statement.
Gorin's resignation was part of a major shake-up in the governor's administration after three tough months marked by questionable decisions, including using a state police helicopter, buying an expensive Cadillac and pricey office furnishings and making a controversial phone call on behalf of his former employer Ameriquest.
In an apparent move to curb the missteps, Patrick has tapped David Morales, a senior aide to Senate President Robert Travaglini, as his new top strategic adviser. He also hired Joe Landolfi, who is currently a spokesman for the Executive Office of Administration and Finance, as his new "senior communications adviser."
"There is a lot of work to be done to deliver on the people's expectations for change - including a government that is more responsive to their needs," Patrick said. "These individuals have the skills and experience to help get us there."

Boston Herald
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 706 • Replies: 12
No top replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 10:24 am
The assistant was hired to help the governor's wife in scheduling.

Then the wife gets hospitalized.

Is it supposed to be remarkable that the scheduler was let go? How much of a schedule can a hospitalized person have?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 12:09 pm
Quote:
How much of a schedule can a hospitalized person have?

Most patients with depression are not hospitalized for extended periods of time, especially those patients who elect treatment in
expensive facilities such as, for example McClean Hospital in Belmont, Ma where the wealthy patient is treated extremely well and of course pays for it.

Confused
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 12:18 pm
Okay, but if she's got depression, even after getting released from the hospital she's not going to be all "out and about" making public appearances very often.

So there would still be little need for a scheduler of public appearances.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
Re: Big Shake-Up by Gov. Patrick
Quote:
While a shroud of secrecy continues to surround the hospitalization of Gov. Deval Patrick's wife

Why in heavens name should the hospitalisation of a governor's wife for depression not be a private matter? Since when do voters have a right to be informed about the ins and outs of the health of a governor's wife?

Sounds like the Herald shares your grudge, Miller.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 07:02 am
Re: Big Shake-Up by Gov. Patrick
nimh wrote:
Since when do voters have a right to be informed about the ins and outs of the health of a governor's wife?

Since when? Since Patrick became our "SUBSTITUTE"
Governor, that/s when.

Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 07:05 am
Huh?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:29 pm
nimh wrote:
Huh?

Not a resident of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?

Shocked
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:36 am
Nimh:

If you will recall, Patrick announced he was scaling down some appearances in the next few weeks to deal with his wife's depression crisis.

Hence the label "substitute" governor.

it's funny-even Presidents take vacations for a week or more, and nobody is supposed to say anything.

Let a guy scale back a little when his wife becomes hospitalized though, and people decide to make a big deal out of it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 03:58 am
Frankly, I think Miller has major problems because Patrick is black, point-blank.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:16 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Nimh:

If you will recall, Patrick announced he was scaling down some appearances in the next few weeks to deal with his wife's depression crisis.

Hence the label "substitute" governor.

it's funny-even Presidents take vacations for a week or more, and nobody is supposed to say anything.

Let a guy scale back a little when his wife becomes hospitalized though, and people decide to make a big deal out of it.

WRONG! The word "substitute" was used because, the person who should have been elected Governor instead of Patrick, was Kerry Heally.

KelticWizard does not live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Cool
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
That's what I get for actually trying to impute a measure of rationality to your anti-Patrick crusade.

I thought you were making a snide reference to Patrick's scale-back of his activites due to his wife's condition coming on.

Instead, you have chosen to go off the rails completely and decide that Patrick is hereby to be referred to as a "substitute" because the candidate you wanted lost. As I recall, Patrick won over Healey, his closest challenger, by 20% of the vote. Exclamation

Some "substitute". Brother.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 11:12 am
kelticwizard wrote:
As I recall, Patrick won over Healey, his closest challenger, by 20% of the vote.

Yes, he won the election and now we're stuck with him for the next ~4 years. What a bummer!
0 Replies