Rest peacefully, timberlandko

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:59 am
I've emailed my mom asking if she had any idea ... but in the meantime I found this, I know it's out of season, but hey, it's a Friday ...

timberlandko wrote:
For Eggnog, I use a couple gallons of good prepared dairy eggnog.
To that, I add 1 Pint Each:
Decent Brandy
Dark Rum
Good, but not extravagant Scotch
Jack Daniels or Jim Beam

To serve, it is ladled into a cup, topped with fresh whipped cream, and dusted with nutmeg and cinnamon.
timber
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:29 am
Help! I've fallen into a punch bowl and can't get out!

Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 11:01 am
ehBeth, We'll all join ya.
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 02:30 pm
For those of you waiting for Timber's mushroom gravy recipe, I regret to inform [y'all] that my mom has no idea how he made it.

However, I did find this recipe from here,

ingredients

1 pound mixed fresh white and exotic mushrooms such as cremini, oyster, or shiitake
(discard shiitake stems)
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 1/2 cups cold water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

preparation

Slice mushrooms. In a 10-inch heavy non-stick skillet cook garlic in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until pale golden. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened. Add mushrooms and soy sauce and sauté mixture over moderately high heat, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown.
Add wine and vinegar and boil until liquid is evaporated. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to skillet with sugar. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring, and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and season gravy with salt and pepper. Gravy may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. When reheating gravy, add water if necessary to thin to desired consistency.

Serve gravy spooned over baked or mashed potatoes and/or steak or chicken.

Gourmet, April 1996
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 03:16 pm
TB, for years I have made a mushroom sauce with red wine, soy sauce and garlic. It has contributed to the general joy (like friendship, sex and art) of my life. Your recipe puts some missing touches to it. I thank you in the same spirit that I thanked a zen master for putting up with me.
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:09 pm
Rest in peace, Timber.
We will miss you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:36 pm
And I could only find one a2k link where he just referred to it but didn't get descriptive on it. So, we can all work up this gravy. Perhaps a thread?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 04:03 am
With the proper application of A2K mojo, we should be able to conjure timber in the kitchen.

WWTC?

What would timber cook?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:26 am
That and the big question .... 'would it be good on biscuits'?
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 08:25 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
That and the big question .... 'would it be good on biscuits'?

If that recipe is anything like Timber's, it would make dog crap taste like filet mignon.

I just called my brother after reading Jespah's reply ... Timber had a method of talking when he was searching for the correct words, he would fill up the space with his patented "Uhhhh...." which all of us who knew him would come to expect. I had a vision of a me, my mom, my brother all stirring a large pot of mushroom gravy, and Timber would rise out of the pot muttering "Uhhhhhh.... needs more Red Wine, and so on and so forth."

Thanks for the early-mornin' chuckle, Jes. Smile

T
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:33 am
Hey, you might see interesting things in the steam. Smile
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:22 pm
Time for another classic Timberism...

timberlandko wrote:
Organization has never been a personal strongpoint. My life is a series of distractions punctuted by interuptions. I once made a list detailing my ten most pressing tasks in order of importance. I have no idea what ever became of that list.

timber
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 10:41 am
I just read of this on another thread and I had no idea. I'm in tears and don't know what to say at the moment, except that I'm going to miss him very much.
This is so sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 11:33 am
Just finished reading the whole thread and am soaked with tears, puffy eyes, the whole bit.

Gotta gather myself and then I'll be back after the shock has mellowed.

welcome to you both Amy and Timber branch and thank you so much for sharing your Timber memories with us.
Like many others here, I've known Kevin for several years and always considered him the daddy of A2K.

I'll post more later after a box of kleenex or 10 Cool
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 12:35 pm
Thank you, Montana. Every day gets a little bit easier to deal with.

T
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 01:50 pm
It's a pleasure to meet you Timberbranch (love the name :-D).

Ok, I finished my box of kleenex and am working on #2 and thought of some things I'd like to say while I have them in mind.
I'll call Kevin "Timber" because that's what I've called him for the past, oh, I'd say around 8 years. Like some others here, I ran across Timber over at Abuzz (my user name was Gezzy back then). And again, like some others here, we may not have agreed politically, but that never stopped us from being friends.
I don't think I can ever remember him being mad and he had such a gentle relaxed way about him that I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't love him.
He was awesome help to me throughout the years with my many many computer problems. When I first met Timber (on Abuzz online) I had just gotten my first computer and was totally new to the internt world, so I needed all the help I could get and there was Timber to help me through all my computer struggles, year after year :-D
What a great guy he was and will always be in my heart. He went way out of his way to help others and, of course, his dogs.
I always smiled when I saw Timber and his famous eagle head Smile and I'll always smile when I think of him, after I finish with the kleenex, that is.

We'll all miss Timber dearly.

Sweet dreams, Timber Cool
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:17 pm
Oh my God, this is such a shock. I am saddened by his loss, he was always nothing but a gentleman with me even though we disagreed on almost everything. I will keep him and his family in my prayers.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:18 pm
Montana wrote:
I just read of this on another thread and I had no idea. I'm in tears:

Me too! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 11:26 am
People liked and respected him for many reasons ... his knowledge, his clever wit, his generally helpful nature. What I honored most was simply the fact that he made my mother happy, something my real father was unable / unwilling to do. When he entered the picture, it was a rocky few years, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for him either. My younger sister couldn't stand him at first -- she was comparing him to my father, and you can't even put them side by side. Once she got to know him, they got along great. I was fortunate enough to be out of the house when he moved in, so I didn't have all the drama first hand.

I only wish I could've thanked him for everything. Never did say goodbye, that stings a bit. He was genuine. He was one of a kind.

Time for another Timberism:

timberlandko wrote:
An only partially tongue-in-cheek formula for an essay is: "First, tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em and tell 'em why you're telling 'em, before you tell 'em anything. Then, tell 'em whatever it is you want to tell 'em. When you've done that, tell 'em what you've told 'em, why you told it to 'em, and close your essay with what it all meant."
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 01:41 pm
Thank you for helping to keep our memories of Kevin alive, timberbranch.
0 Replies