Small Parts, Memorable Performances

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:35 pm
eoe, That was one of my favorite scenes in that movie. The intimacy was mother/daughter perfect. Thanks for reminding me about the toothpick.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:27 am
Anthony LaPaglia in Betsy's Wedding.

I know it's been a while. I know this thread is over. Couldn't help myself. How could we overlook this?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:45 pm
Nothing is over. How about Strother Martin as Shanghai McCoy in Rooster Cogburn?"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:49 pm
Hey, the best part of the movie.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:15 pm
Terrific character actor. Whenever he showed up on screen, you knew you were in for a treat.

I'll share one that came to me a few days ago...don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet...

Halle Berry as Sam Jackson's crackhead girlfriend in "Jungle Fever". What a nasty mess she was.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:23 pm
Scatman Crothers in "The Shining," holding his own in the same movie as Jack Nicholson!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 04:47 pm
Bill, I didn't see Rooster Cogburn. I had a hard time watching John Wayne (except for the Quiet Man and the Three Godfathers). But Strother Martin was usually supoib.

eoe, I remember the nasty mess. That was Halle Berry? Gotta look for that again.

LW, BINGO. Scatman in that movie was truly wonderful. Sane and otherworldly. Kind and strong. Thanks for reminding me (us).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:14 pm
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2968/hallezx1.png

nasty mess
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:42 am
eoe wrote:
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2968/hallezx1.png

nasty mess

She cleans up well. Wow.

Seeing Spike on a city street reminds me of when he was filming on my block. Don't remember which movie. There are some spectacular private homes across the street from me. He and his crew were on my side of the street filming across the street. Every time I saw him, he was in deep conversation with somebody.

My block was in another movie. In fact my building was in it. The opening car chase in Marathon Man was my block. But I digress.

I think it's a tribute to an actor when they're unrecognizable from one part to the next. This works especially well for people doing small parts. It becomes harder when people start playing leads.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:56 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Scatman Crothers in "The Shining," holding his own in the same movie as Jack Nicholson!

That was also the first one that came to my mind and I also liked him in Twilight Zone, the movie.

I liked Jeroen Krabbé as the slob in Turtle Diary.
Sophie Okonedo was nice as the prostitute in Dirty Pretty Things.
Michael Jeter as the cabaret singer bum in The Fisher King (and as Eduard Delacroix in the Green Mile, but I am not sure that counts as a small role, for if so, I would have to include Michael Clarke Duncan as Coffey).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:28 am
Paaskynen, I haven't seen any of the movies you mentioned. Can't comment. Sorry. However, I'm an admirer of Michael Jeter.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:33 am
I looooved Michael Jeter in "The Fisher King". So tragic and funny.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2923/michaeljetersz7.png

"Oh why can't I be Katherine Hepburn in 'Summertime'?"
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:55 am
Sylvia Miles in "Crossing Delancy" with Amy Irving and Peter Riegert. She played a professional matchmaker and to watch her eat was a sight to behold. She was asked "Did you husband ever see you eat?" Laughing
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:20 am
Reizl Bozyk was great (as the grandmother) in Crossing Delancey too. Actually, there were several good supporting roles in that one. I should watch it again.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:32 am
I certainly remembered Bubby but she was a co-star. She had a fat, juicy role. Wouldn't qualify here. Oh but how about the two black women in the steam room! That was a wild scene.

But Sylvia Miles just made me scream. Do you remember her two or three eating scenes? When she reached across the table, just gabbing away, and picked up a whole chicken leg, breaking it from the thigh and stuffing it into her mouth, I thought I would choke. She killed me!

Now, I must digress. For a long time I thought the actor who played Fran Dreschler's mother on "The Nanny" was Sylvia Miles because she did the same schtick with food. She moved very slowly but steadily and it would just crack me up.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:37 pm
Margo Martindale gives a sensational performance in "Paris, je t'aime" as an American tourist on her first trip to Paris. I'm not sure whether it counts as a "small part", because the character she plays is pretty much the only character in that segment of the movie - but on the other hand, that segment is only one of 18 segments that make up the whole movie, so she's onscreen for only about 10 minutes of the total 2-hour running time. Anyway, she's so good, I'm counting it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:39 pm
Picture please. Smile
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:41 pm
Believe me, I looked for one, but I couldn't find any good ones. But since your wish is my command, I'll be back with the two I did find.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:44 pm
OK, it'll have to be just one, because the other one was a GIF, which I don't think works on A2K.

http://www.linternaute.com/cinema/image_cache/objdbfilm/image/300/13918.jpg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:55 pm
Oh yes. I've certainly seen her before.
0 Replies