Small Parts, Memorable Performances

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:22 pm
Robert Duval's portrayal of Bo Radley in "To Kill a Mockingbird" wasn't a bad start for a career either.

I also think a lot of Ward Bond - a more or less constant figure in John Ford Films. From "The Searchers" to "The Quiet Man" he was always a vivid contributor.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:55 pm
Victor Mature's performance in "After the Fox" was the funniest performance I have ever seen from an actor who normally plays dramatic parts.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:58 pm
For some reason (probably the John Ford connection), georgeob1's reference to Ward Bond made me think of Thomas Mitchell, who was memorable in small parts like Uncle Billy in "It's a Wonderful Life", Scarlett O'Hara's father in GWTW, and the drunken doctor in "Stagecoach".

eoe, I'm still laughing about your post. "The last girl on the planet" -- perfect.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:01 pm
Oh my goodness yes! Mr. Mitchell played the pool hustling Judge Henry G. Blake in "Pocketful of Miracles" with Glenn Ford and Bette Davis. He was a hoot!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:11 pm
Not to mention the role as sherif Pat Garret in "The Outlaw" --- a great yarn, some memorable performances (including John Houston) , Jane Russel's breasts; and a bit of Tchaikovsky's music -- all made for a very good film.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:44 pm
eoe, The robe clutching modesty was perfect. LOL

george, Thought of Boo Radley recently. And Duvall's portrayal of him. You're right. Not a bad way to start a career. Yes, Ward Bond was supoib in The Quiet Man. Also in It' a Wonderful Life.

wande, I confess I'm having a hard time remembering Victor Mature in After the Fox. Gonna have to look for it and see it again.

Thomas Mitchell, bree, was some kind of magician. He created such different characters that it's hard to believe the same actor played them all.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:12 pm
Don Cheadle in Devil in a Blue Dress. An absolute gem of a performance. A loyal true-blue friend and a cold-blooded killer. Likable and frightening. With a line that has stayed with me years later. ""If you didn't want him dead, then why'd you leave him with me?"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:11 am
Terrence Howard in "Crash," although it was an ensemble piece with all "small" parts linked together and there are many other great performances in that film. I never was impressed with the film as a whole, even with its deftly written emotionally gripping scenes, but Howard, like in HBO's "Lakawanna Blues" (which I think is still his best performance), has an indelible screen presence and delivers his line with a naturalism that is rare.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:50 am
Just saw Terrence Howard in "Pride" last night. Wonderful actor.

Don Cheadle in "Devil" was indeed a gem. And that IS the ultimate line, Roberta. That performance, that line in particular, damn near made his career.

Anthony Anderson as Junior Slocumb in a little movie called "Kingdom Come". Catching him in that movie, I just knew that he had a very bright future ahead of him. He and Terrence Howard are the two reasons I went to see "Hustle & Flow". Wild horses couldn't have dragged me to it otherwise.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:50 am
Roberta wrote:
wande, I confess I'm having a hard time remembering Victor Mature in After the Fox. Gonna have to look for it and see it again.

Thanks for starting this thread, Roberta. Victor Mature's performance was the only thing I liked about "After the Fox". Victor played an aging but extremely vain matinee idol. He was far funnier than Peter Sellers who had the lead role in that movie. The movie was a strange failure. It was directed by the legendary Vittorio DeSica and had a screenplay by Neil Simon!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:58 am
Wande, I just needed a little push. Now I remember. Not only do I remember him in the part but I remember being surprised. I'd never seen him that way before.

I confess to not having seen Crash. Do I have to go stand in a corner? I've had the opportunities. But something keeps pushing me away.

Now I have to hunt for Terence Howard. Something to look forward to. Thanks, guys.

eoe, I had no idea that the line was such a success. All I know is that I remembered it--from years ago.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 05:39 am
Shirley Knight and Cuba Gooding Jr. in As Good as It Gets. Shirley Knight seems to be good in everything she does. Cuba has made some bad choices in movies, but when he's good, he's very very good.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:23 am
Roberta, you made me remember Regina King, who played Cuba Gooding's wife in "Jerry Maguire". She was terrific in that movie but when she broke away from the sweet Brenda of 227 and showed up as the beer swilling, foul-mouthed ghetto honey in "Boys in the Hood", I was mesmerized, not only by the difference in character but by her seemingly newfound acting ability as well.

I guess her portrayal as Margie in "Ray" really couldn't be considered a small part, huh?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 02:54 pm
eoe, The wife in Jerry McGuire and the honey in Boyz in the Hood was the same person?! Wow. I didn't remember her name, and I certainly didn't recognize her from one part to the other. I'm gonna have to watch Boyz in the Hood again.

Yeah, Margie in Ray was a big part. But as I said to Lettie, good is good.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:38 am
Marjorie Main in the Egg and I. She was so good that the movie spawned a whole bunch of spinoffs with her and Percy Kilbride (Ma and Pa Kettle). I loved how she was absolutely unflappable.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:55 am
wandeljw wrote:
Victor Mature's performance in "After the Fox" was the funniest performance I have ever seen from an actor who normally plays dramatic parts.

I agree, he was great as the aging movie star. I'll add Donald Sutherland in "The Italian Job."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 08:15 am
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 08:27 am
How about Donald Sutherland in The Dirty Dozen and Oliver Platt in Executive Decision. These two guys are ubiquitous and always good.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:07 am
Peter Sellers as Clare Quilty in Lolita, Shelley Winters in that one, as well.
Sydney Greenstreet as Kaspar Gutman in The Maltese Falcon.

Hmmm. I need to think about this...Great thread.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Peter Sellers as Clare Quilty in Lolita, Shelley Winters in that one, as well.
Sydney Greenstreet as Kaspar Gutman in The Maltese Falcon.

Hmmm. I need to think about this...Great thread.

Glad you like it, LionTamer. The Maltese Falcon. One of my favorite movies. Not a dud in the whole cast. Seeing Greenstreet's name reminded me of him in The Hucksters. Isn't that where he spat on the conference room table? Loved him in that.
0 Replies