Prius Outpollutes Hummer

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:25 pm
I really think we should write a quasi-scientific screed on some hotbutton issue and see how long it takes for it to make it around the world, or at least to Snopes.

That's what I find most fascinating about this, that the guy wrote it as some paper for school and didn't expect anyone else to read it and then whammo. (If that's true, might not be of course.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:50 pm
Apparently, the R&D cost for developing the new technology was factored into the cost-per-mile.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:57 pm
Where did he get that a Prius' expected lifetime is 100,000 miles and a Hummer's is 300,000? Hummers are pieces of sh!t, not to mention 99% of the cars aren't around to hit 300,000 miles.

Either way the Prius is overrated and overpriced. And a lot of people who own them do have a superiority complex. Gotta wonder if some of those people would buy them if "hybrid" wasn't stamped on the back.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:22 pm
cj quoted :

Quote:
So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.

chevy aveo ?
i had it as a loaner for a half-day - i hope they'll never again offer it to me .
hoda civic , toyota corolla , even chevy cobalt are FAR superior to the avea - who is really a re-branded daewoo .

as far as sudbury goes , ehbeth has already given a fair account .
actually last night there was a report on sudbury on the news and reference was made to the '60's when the astronauts used it for training .
so the comments are outdated by about 30-40 years - sorry !
hbg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:37 pm
I do find the regenerative braking idea interesting in theory if not in practice, at least for high mileage city cars such as taxis. A question arises however as to how much weight would be saved without all the secondary systems and electric motor as the cost of acceleration is proportional to the mass being accelerated, all other things being equal.

The new electric trolleys in Toronto use regenerative braking and in that context I see little downside.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:58 pm
not knowing anything about the technology, i can merely rely on gut instincts. they tell me that there is an ick factor to both Hummers and to Priuses. For me it's a huge ick for the first and a slight one for the latter. not the car themselves, of course, but the drivers. It's kinda like the ick factor of exreme conservatives and extreme liberals. i don't like the arrogance and self-righteousness on either side. it's a statement more than an action of any sort. a status thing. not for all owners, of course, but enough to make it annoying.

that said, if i had to buy a car, Prius would be on the list of the cars to research.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:30 am
How bout you put a Prius in the back seat of a Hummer. Youd cover all yer bets then and you wouldnt have to feel guilty.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:18 am
About that regenerative braking idea.

I heard that would be good for heavy vehicles with a lot of stop and go, like UPS/FedEx trucks, see link...

UPS starts using hydralic hybrid in Detroit
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:24 am
Finally someone gets to potential energy. All these greenies think they can buy an electric car and not pollute - the joke's on them.

Perhaps they should buy a Flintstonemobile?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:03 pm
Chai wrote:
Is it really that important to people to drive 75 rather than 60? ?

Yes.

The only reason why speed limits are as low as they were 50 years ago is so states can generate more money on speeding tickets. You can drive very safe at 75mph on most highways. It's ridiculous. In a perfect world, those who want to drive 60 would stay in the right lanes where they belong and not block the passing lane, and speed limits would be higher.

Plus I'm sure most cars mpg between 60 and 75 isn't that drastic.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:16 pm
The difference between driving 55 and 70 is an increase of 20% fuel consumption.

Tie this with other stupid driving habits, and I'm sure it's much more.

Anyway, a lot of the time, I'll be driving along doing 55 or 60, and get passed by the 75 mph person, only to pass them at the light because it turned green and I'm still moving.

My boss is a lead foot, but there's been times when we leave a place at the same time, and I arrive the same time or a minute later.

When I see a guy, especially a young one, flying along like a maniac, then having to brake for a light, then jack rabbit to the next light, I think..."Boy I sure hope you don't f*ck like that"

unforntunately, they probably do.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:55 pm
Anbody going under 70 on a freeway is an idiot - even if the speed limit still says 55. Freeways were designed for 70+ and I still laugh at the NASCAR types who break for curves.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:59 pm
Why would you be an idiot it you stayed in the right lane and didn't get in anyones way and got to your destination at the same time they did, using less gas and spending less money.

Who's the idiot?

I say if you're secure enough in your manhood or womanhood or whatever, you wouldn't care about keeping up with the pack. (like a sheep)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:12 pm
chai wrote :

Quote:
I say if you're secure enough in your manhood or womanhood or whatever, you wouldn't care about keeping up with the pack. (like a sheep)

sorry , chai !
you may be preaching to at least some deaf people here - they can't hear you over the roar of their engines or the squeal of their brakes Rolling Eyes .
can't blame you for trying ! :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Anbody going under 70 on a freeway is an idiot - even if the speed limit still says 55. Freeways were designed for 70+ and I still laugh at the NASCAR types who break for curves.

Anybody who makes broad, sweeping statements like this is an idiot....
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:16 pm
sozobe wrote:
Hey nimh, you have a battery named after you!

I thought he was named after the battery..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:23 pm
Chai wrote:

When I see a guy, especially a young one, flying along like a maniac, then having to brake for a light, then jack rabbit to the next light, I think..."Boy I sure hope you don't f*ck like that"

unfortunately, they probably do.

Ha!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:26 pm
Yeah, that's one the ladies will appreciate and the mens will all ignore.

Didja ever hear the one about the old bull and the young bull? :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:35 pm
not sure, tell us...

I tried to edit to add this -

I do go fast, sometimes very fast, on some interstate highways in some places, in part because of my own peculiar needs not to drive near dark, thus my pushing to make good time, and in part because I like to drive fast when I perceive it is safe to, given good conditions including visibility - but for everyday local road/highway driving I stick just above the limit. Since I rarely get to drive the first way, that's sort of moot.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 06:38 am
stuh505 wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Hey nimh, you have a battery named after you!

I thought he was named after the battery..

Course not.. what do you think?

They never asked me either, when they named those batteries.. you think I should sue?
0 Replies