Actuarial Benefits

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:27 pm
Hello. What are the benefits associated with being an actuary? What health and financial benefits would I get? What about life insurance benefits?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,512 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:11 pm
Really depends on your employer, but an actuary with a good personality and a real sense of humor can be an accountant.

Actually, they are usually employed by the type of corporations that take pride in having up to date benefits.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:38 pm
Reply to roger
Hello Roger. Thank you for responding. Do they have the same types of benefits they have on other jobs-dental, optical, medical, and 401K?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:27 pm
It's going to vary, of course, but these guys are usually employed by the large insurance companies and governments. I would expect their benefits to be above average, and their earnings to be related to their education and experience.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:54 am
Are you looking to be an actuary versus some other occupation, or as an independent consultant offering your services to clients? Have you taken the actuarial exams? And, do you have a degree in actuarial science, statistics, math, or accounting? Actuaries that are employees would get the same benefits as any other employee. Actuaries that are independent contractors would be 1099 employees and not eligible for benefits.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:17 pm
I want to take the actuarial exams-the only real problem I'm having is finding out where the test sites are located. I live in Binghamton, which is in upstate NY.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:48 pm
Maybe This site will help you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:37 am
My friend was interested in becoming an actuary. In general they get paid very well (significantly higher than an accountant in most cases). I would have to imagine being a professional job that if you work for a corporation you would have all the typical benefits - 401k, health, dental, etc. It would depend on the company, however, to be competitive against other companies, you should expect to receive these sorts of benefits. Also, I would imagine a huge employer of actuaries are hired by insurance companies and they (as most financial companies) typically have all these sorts of benefits.
0 Replies