How often do you eat gas station food?

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:54 pm
On my way home earlier I had to stop for gasoline and while inside the station I noticed some single slices of pizza for sale underneath one of those heating hoods.

They also had chicken strips and potato wedges. They looked edible and the aroma was appropriate for the items so, on impulse, I decided to purchase my supper right then and there. I had planned on stopping at a restaurant and I figured the time saved by dining at the gas station would give me more time back home to throw things at the cat.

I purchased a slice of the pizza (it appeared to be sausage) and a container of the chicken strips.

As I was driving down the road I bit into the pizza. I might as well had taken off my tennis shoe and sprinkled a little seasoning on it. Jesus Christ, that was some bad crap.

I tossed it out the window in hopes that a passing raccoon, later in the evening, would find the feast and dine in a manner befitting the animal kingdom.

Then I bet into the chicken strip. Oh....my....god!

Is there such a thing as liquid chicken? Once I penetrated the tough exterior crust I felt something and pulling the strip quickly from my mouth I noticed it was oozing a gelatinous milky-white substance. It was as if the chicken had liquefied.

Can that happen? I spit it out and started gagging. The little bit that had started working its way down my throat was firmly entrenched and the taste was so horrific that I thought I was going to start throwing up on the side of the road. By this time I had pulled over and was standing on the side of the road, trying to cough that chicken residue from my throat.

Cars whizzed by and a few people, recognizing me, gave me the finger.

I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth so I grabbed a gallon of windshield-washer fluid from the back of my truck and took a swallow.

You know, that stuff ain't half bad. Has an acidic taste, but in a nice way, like some garden vegetables I have eaten in the past.

So, I finished the bottle of washer fluid, (it was only half full to start with) wiped my mouth on the sleeve of my jacket, jumped back in the truck, and sped away, the taste of the gas station chicken now eliminated by the washer fluid.

That, my friends, is the last time I shall dine at a gas station.

Now, let us hear of your gas station dining experiences.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,472 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:02 pm
we used to stop at this place on the way back to NC from Roanoke Va right outside of Martinsville and get Dodger Dogs. They were these huge hot dogs and I'd slather mine in Ketchup Mustard relish and onions and get a huge family size bag of potato chips and a quart of chocolate milk. I was ALWAYS **** faced drunk by the time I got to this stage and I NEVER failed to puke from it a few hours later but holy **** I loved those Dodger Dogs.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:09 pm
I think being drunk is the key to gas station dining.

I should have stopped at the liquor store first.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:11 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I think being drunk is the key to gas station dining.

I should have stopped at the liquor store first.

always happy to impart my wisdom... acquired through years of immature, health destroying and downright dangerous behavior. As I have mentioned before Iam always here for you Gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:19 pm
You are my mentor, Bear. That has already been established.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:29 pm
I was never tempted to eat their sorry excuse for edible food,
and never will.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:37 pm
Hardly ever, but I did buy a Krispy Kreme doughnut at a gas station when I missed getting off at any offramp in Phoenix a year or so ago and faced another bunch of miles to Tucson with dim hope of lunch/plus time constraint. Eh! I lived.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:40 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I was never tempted to eat their sorry excuse for edible food,
and never will.

If the gas station were to install some chandeliers and pipe in orchestral music, would you then entertain the possibility, Jane?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:44 pm
No, gustav!

You know, when I drove cross country from NY to CA I always stopped
and ate where the truck drivers went, and I sometimes was steak and
fries for breakfast - but hey it was very good.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:44 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Hardly ever, but I did buy a Krispy Kreme doughnut at a gas station when I missed getting off at any offramp in Phoenix a year or so ago and faced another bunch of miles to Tucson with dim hope of lunch/plus time constraint. Eh! I lived.

I remember when Krispy Kreme was all the rage in this area, not having been around for many years and now being re-introduced, and people were actually lining up for blocks to buy the damned things.

At that point I had never had one and I wasn't about to join the line of morons waiting to eat a donut, so I waited until the craze had died down somewhat, and, one day, a friend of mine happened along with a box of the things and offered me one.

I ate it and was remarkably unimpressed. They taste like cookie dough or some such thing and I have not eaten one since.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:45 pm
....grrr, you were to fast. I wanted to edit my post.

it should read ..."it sometimes was steak......"
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:46 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
No, gustav!

Did you ever hook up with any of those truckers? You know what I mean -- crawl into one of those "sleepers" and entertain the troops?

C'mon, fess up. I won't tell anyone.
0 Replies

happycat

I'm with Calamity Jane on this one. I can honestly say that I've never eaten anything other than a candybar at any gas station.
Ever.
And I never will, now that I've read the first post!
Shocked
0 Replies

Tai Chi

I once bought peanut butter on cheese crackers from a vending machine at a gas station in Iowa and lived to tell you about it. That would be over 30 years ago -- nothing since.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:47 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
....grrr, you were to fast. I wanted to edit my post.

it should read ..."it sometimes was steak......"

Too late. You shall forevermore be know as "Steak".

hahhahahahahahahha
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Tai Chi wrote:
I once bought peanut butter on cheese crackers from a vending machine at a gas station in Iowa and lived to tell you about it. That would be over 30 years ago -- nothing since.

Doesn't anyone here, beside me and the Bear, like to live on the edge?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

gustavratzenhofer wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
No, gustav!

Did you ever hook up with any of those truckers? You know what I mean -- crawl into one of those "sleepers" and entertain the troops?

C'mon, fess up. I won't tell anyone.

No, I was on a different mission.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:48 pm
That's too bad. I was looking forward to the details.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:49 pm
I never kiss and tell.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 10:18 pm
I don't know what's worse: eating food from a gas station, or taking a dump in a gas station bathroom.
0 Replies