Will Computers Spring Forward this Coming Sunday?

fishin

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:51 pm
dadpad wrote:
fishin wrote:
dadpad wrote:
on the task bar (at the bottom of the screen) in XP is the clock. if you right click on the clock a menu allows you to select an option to adjust date/time. selecting this menu item will bring up a window that tells you which time zone is selected and wether you have auto adjust for daylight saving time.
You may notice a tab for Internet time this tells you which sever your computer syncronises with. ie your computer looks at the time on the internet server and adjusts the date time acordingly.
Synchronizing your computer clockIf your computer is a member of a domain, your computer clock is probably synchronized automatically by a network time server. If your computer is not a member of a domain, you can synchronize your computer clock with an Internet time server.

None of this is going to help the average home Windows PC user.

I based my advice on my computer OS which is windows XP home. I clicked on the clock selected the apropriate menu items and advised on the options that are available to me, AT HOME. You couldn't find anyone more AVERAGE than me.

Yeah, I understand that but look at what the Help file is saying there.

Yes, every XP user has a box they can check to indicate that they do/don't want the system to automaticaly reset for daylight savings time - but that is where the problem comes in.

The problem isn't with wanting or not wanting to automatcially reset. the problem is that they changed the day to do the reset (It used to be changed at 2am on the 1st Sunday in April. They changed it to 2am on the 2nd Sunday in March!).

If you just have that box checked and don't get the updates your system won't adjust itself until April. Very Happy She needs the patch file that tells her system the correct day to change on.

The rest of the help file talks about using an Internet Time Server or a Domain Time Server if you are connected to a Windows Domain - neither of those applies to the average home user. The average user's clock is based on their PC's internal clock. Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:56 am
As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was on my watch, yeah
And I said

Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care
If so I cant imagine why
Weve all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had stopped cold dead
And I said

Does anybody really care
If so I cant imagine why
Weve all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
Being pushed and shoved by people trying to beat the clock, oh, no I just dont know
I dont know
And I said, yes I said

Background:
People runnin everywhere
Dont know where to go
Dont know where I am
Cant see past the next step
Dont have time to think past the last mile
Have no time to look around
Just run around, run around and think why

Does anybody really care
If so I cant imagine why
Weve all got time enough to die
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:25 am
Quote:

If you leave me now
Chicago
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:03 am
Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 machines can get this update. (Download links if you scroll down.)

Windows 2000 machines have to jump through some hoops of exporting, deleting, and importing some registry settings. Or end-users can use the TZEdit program. (See this Microsoft article for instructions on how to creat a script that can update multiple machines.)

Windows 9x and ME users should just uncheck the "automatically adjust for daylight savings time" option and manually update the clock.

NT 4 users can either try the TZEdit tool, or manually adjust the time; I haven't had to work on any of these, so I'm not sure if TZEdit will work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 11:37 am
from our work help desk (a couple of weeks after they installed the Microsoft Patch and I reported that all of our appts/meetings were now showing as two days long Shocked )

Quote:
summary

The Daylight Savings Time tool provided by Microsoft did not fix all calendar items in Outlook. Subsequent attempts to fix this have proven ineffective. As a result, Microsoft has recommended this process be performed manually.

what this means to you

Microsoft has recommended this process be performed manually between the dates of:

March 11th, 2007 & March 31st, 2007
October 28th, 2007 & November 4th, 2007
Any meeting rooms booked during the above times will have to be changed

and blah and blah and blah

it's been great fun making the fixes

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 11:42 am
Yeah, Outlook appointments are a whole different kettle of fish.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 01:02 pm
You said something about that on another thread the other day, ehBeth, so when Microsoft asked if I wanted to update Outlook at the download link fishn gave me, I said no.

Glad I did. Smile

Bummer on the two day meetings. Hope they bring in lunch for ya.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 01:41 pm
We spent many weekends at work making sure the DST patches were in place. I wish auto-update worked on everything.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:29 pm
If my memory serves me properly, it will be necessary to change your A2K profile which selects time as plus or minus X GMT.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:50 pm
Spring................... Forward....

sunday?

huh?
time change?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:22 am
I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal, but NPR was talking yesterday like this was a mini Y2K situation. One "expert" said it would probably be a couple of weeks before cell phones got the correct time. Said IT departments were working like mad on things that stamp time such as ATM's, cash registers, banks, etc.

Okay, everybody make a run on the stores and fill your garaages with food! Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:06 am
All I know is I get an extra hour in the sun.... that's good. If my computer or truck clock or something doesn't automatically spring forward then everytime I look at it I'lll just add an hour in my head..... I can do that..... I'm a geenyus.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:55 am
squinney wrote:
I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal, but NPR was talking yesterday like this was a mini Y2K situation.

Then it must be a really small deal, considering how trifling the original Y2K situation turned out.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:22 am
squinney wrote:
I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal, but NPR was talking yesterday like this was a mini Y2K situation. One "expert" said it would probably be a couple of weeks before cell phones got the correct time. Said IT departments were working like mad on things that stamp time such as ATM's, cash registers, banks, etc.

Okay, everybody make a run on the stores and fill your garaages with food! Laughing

"Experts" don't make any money on piddly issues. Wink
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:40 am
You guys are pissing on my attempt to make everyone panic and create a rush on bread and milk.

(I just bought stock. Shhhh!)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:55 am
Daylight Savings Time: redefining the "futures market."
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:11 am
Okay, dammitt. I downloaded the patch and STILL had to go around and adjust a bunch of clocks this morning. Thank goodness the computer clock was right!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:21 am
my puter clock is correct, I suppose i will have to correct all the other clocks in this damn house, ok maybe tomorrow (I'm retired)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:35 am
The only clock here (and that includes the computer clock) which is right on target is the one I didn't resent last fall when Daylight Savings Time ended. I'm not a-touchin' that computer clock. I can do the math when I look at it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:08 am
other than what time is the gig and my 9:30 spin class Wed and Fri I for the most part lead a clockless life...

My body tells me when I'm sleepy, when I'm ready to get up, when I'm hungry, when I have to poop and when I'm horny.

I'm good to go pretty much.

Lord how I love DST time though. I get depressed and out of sorts in the winter.
0 Replies