Will Computers Spring Forward this Coming Sunday?

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:34 pm
Here's my really dumb question for the week...

Will computers automatically spring forward this coming Sunday? Or will only those loaded with newer programs / OS's do so? Is the info in the OS? Or where? Is there a way to check it?

(I know I can do it by hand next Sunday morning after my first cup of joe, and know how to do it.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,440 • Replies: 55
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:42 pm
It's been done automatically, squinney, don't worry.

Then you can spend all your time changing the kitchen clock, microwave clock. the one in the car, in the bedroom, livingroom, wrist watch and
wherever else you have a clock. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:46 pm
I think it depends on whether you are set to get automatic updates. I got one maybe a month ago -- I just agreed to it, didn't have to go get it or anything.

If you don't get automatic updates, you may have to go look.

I'm sure there's a way to tell if you're set or not, but I don't know what it is. You might want to mention the kind of computer, your operating system, that kind of stuff for those who do know.

CJane, DST changes are done automatically but this one is coming much earlier than in previous years (new law, taking effect this year for the first time), so that's the problem.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:48 pm
Steve Jobs will know that, sozobe Wink

I wonder if they're going to have a commercial PC vs. Apple on that one....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:50 pm
I'm working (ha) withXP Pro. I haven't seen an update in a while, and that was why I was wondering... And, whether or not Microsoft had thought of it and if so included it in an update, or do they just send hamsters out that night to work like Santa's elves?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:50 pm
Well, that's why it matters how new it is, and whether you get software updates.

The law only passed recently, so unless he has a crystal ball, (which I wouldn't put past him), a non-updated computer that was built before the law was passed wouldn't automatically spring forward next weekend.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:52 pm
Squinney, I bet there's something that allows you to check but I just did a Google search and didn't come up with anything, so I'll leave you in the capable hands of the A2K computer experts...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:54 pm
Quote:
Will computers automatically spring forward this coming Sunday?

I bloody hope not. I'd much prefer them to fall back.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:54 pm
Thanks, soz.

Okay, Timber... Where are you?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:58 pm
Here ya go Squinney! Wink

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:05 pm
on the task bar (at the bottom of the screen) in XP is the clock. if you right click on the clock a menu allows you to select an option to adjust date/time. selecting this menu item will bring up a window that tells you which time zone is selected and wether you have auto adjust for daylight saving time.
You may notice a tab for Internet time this tells you which sever your computer syncronises with. ie your computer looks at the time on the internet server and adjusts the date time acordingly.
Synchronizing your computer clockIf your computer is a member of a domain, your computer clock is probably synchronized automatically by a network time server. If your computer is not a member of a domain, you can synchronize your computer clock with an Internet time server.

From the help files
Synchronizing your computer clock
If synchronization is enabled, your computer clock is synchronized with an Internet time server once a week. However, if you don't have a continuous Internet connection through a cable modem or DSL modem, the automatic synchronization might not always occur. In that case, you can force an immediate synchronization by clicking the Update Now button on the Internet Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel. This tab is only available if your computer is not a member of a domain.

If time synchronization fails
When you click the Update Now button, your clock should be synchronized immediately. If it fails, it might be for one of the following reasons:

You are not connected to the Internet. Establish an Internet connection before you attempt to synchronize your clock.
Your personal or network firewall prevents clock synchronization. Most corporate and organizational firewalls will block time synchronization, as do some personal firewalls. Home users should read the firewall documentation for information about unblocking network time protocol (NTP). You should be able to synchronize your clock if you switch to Windows Firewall.
The Internet time server is too busy or is temporarily unavailable. If this is the case, try synchronizing your clock later, or update it manually by double-clicking the clock on the taskbar. You can also try using a different time server.
The time shown on your computer is too different from the current time on the Internet time server. Internet time servers might not synchronize your clock if your computer's time is off by more than 15 hours. To synchronize the time properly, ensure that the date and time settings are set close to your current time in the Date and Time Properties in Control Panel.
Notes

To open Date and Time, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Date and Time.
An Internet time server updates the date set by your computer as well as the time.
The Update Now button is not available unless the Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server check box is selected.
You can change the time on your computer clock manually on the Date & Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel. You can also open Date and Time by double-clicking the clock on the taskbar.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:08 pm
Apple has sent out an upgrade, so Mac people will be fine if they bothered to update. It was a fine example of programming bloat, by the way: 4.9 megabites, if I remember correctly.

On the other hand, my fancy light timer, which was factory programmed to adjust itself to daylight savings time, will not function correctly for a month unless I can remember how to change it manually.

As long as we are messing with daylight savings time, I propose making it more agreeable by taking the hour away on a workday afternoon in the spring, and adding it back on a weekend afternoon in the fall, instead of this middle of the night nonsense.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:08 pm
fishin, you're a dear.

Thank you. Now I'll see what happens Sunday morning.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:09 pm
dadpad wrote:
on the task bar (at the bottom of the screen) in XP is the clock. if you right click on the clock a menu allows you to select an option to adjust date/time. selecting this menu item will bring up a window that tells you which time zone is selected and wether you have auto adjust for daylight saving time.
You may notice a tab for Internet time this tells you which sever your computer syncronises with. ie your computer looks at the time on the internet server and adjusts the date time acordingly.
Synchronizing your computer clockIf your computer is a member of a domain, your computer clock is probably synchronized automatically by a network time server. If your computer is not a member of a domain, you can synchronize your computer clock with an Internet time server.

From the help files
Synchronizing your computer clock
If synchronization is enabled, your computer clock is synchronized with an Internet time server once a week. However, if you don't have a continuous Internet connection through a cable modem or DSL modem, the automatic synchronization might not always occur. In that case, you can force an immediate synchronization by clicking the Update Now button on the Internet Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel. This tab is only available if your computer is not a member of a domain.

If time synchronization fails
When you click the Update Now button, your clock should be synchronized immediately. If it fails, it might be for one of the following reasons:

You are not connected to the Internet. Establish an Internet connection before you attempt to synchronize your clock.
Your personal or network firewall prevents clock synchronization. Most corporate and organizational firewalls will block time synchronization, as do some personal firewalls. Home users should read the firewall documentation for information about unblocking network time protocol (NTP). You should be able to synchronize your clock if you switch to Windows Firewall.
The Internet time server is too busy or is temporarily unavailable. If this is the case, try synchronizing your clock later, or update it manually by double-clicking the clock on the taskbar. You can also try using a different time server.
The time shown on your computer is too different from the current time on the Internet time server. Internet time servers might not synchronize your clock if your computer's time is off by more than 15 hours. To synchronize the time properly, ensure that the date and time settings are set close to your current time in the Date and Time Properties in Control Panel.
Notes

To open Date and Time, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Date and Time.
An Internet time server updates the date set by your computer as well as the time.
The Update Now button is not available unless the Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server check box is selected.
You can change the time on your computer clock manually on the Date & Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel. You can also open Date and Time by double-clicking the clock on the taskbar.

None of this is going to help the average home Windows PC user.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:14 pm
Yeah, dadpad, that was also what I was wondering about... internet sycnronization or is it in the OS or what? Then I saw the fishin' link and figured it muct be OS based.

I'll not do the update on the work computer and just wait to see if it auto synchronizes since it was professionally installed and linked and all of that.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:18 pm
Greyfan - I was wondering about more recently released gadgets and gizmo's. Hope people kept their manuals. Smile

I assume cell phones will automatically change?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:20 pm
I didn't know it was changing this Sunday. I fly early Sunday morning. Maybe a lot of people won't be aware of the change and there will be empty seats on the plane. (Here's hoping...)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:31 pm
fishin wrote:
dadpad wrote:

None of this is going to help the average home Windows PC user.

I based my advice on my computer OS which is windows XP home. I clicked on the clock selected the apropriate menu items and advised on the options that are available to me, AT HOME. You couldn't find anyone more AVERAGE than me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:37 pm
I checked and my XP Pro has the synchronization option. It's set to check and reset if necessary every Saturday morning, or I can hit the Now button to do it any time.

Patio - Hurray! More peanuts and teeny tiney bottles just for you!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:44 pm
I ain't worried. My bedside alarm clock is still on last year's daylight saving time. I forgot to reset it last October and since I never use the alarm function anyway, I finally figured -- what the hell, in a few months it'll be right again. If my 'puter doesn't reset itself, I'll just learn how to add an hour to whatever it says. No big deal.
0 Replies