spendius

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 04:30 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Okay I'll buy. Perhaps you could expound your opinion of

Quote:
the task the clergy has on its hands

self-imposed though it be.

Preventing, using smoke amd mirrors, our animal core from leading to destitution. It is a conceit of your's Mac that the Darwinian catalogue could possibly have led to your being the perfectly civilised gentleman you are and permitted to enjoy the fruits of the clerical interference with the laws of nature and even being allowed to hurl invective at that interference whilst indulging in the luxury of not bothering to offer explanations of alternatives.

Which considerations also apply to most of those you are in contact with.

Attacks on the Christian project limit themselves to certain circumstances, carefully chosen, and do not engage with all the circumstances. And we do have to deal with all the circumstances.
McTag

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 06:50 am
@spendius,

No civilisation without religion?

That is a strong claim, and I think an unjustified one.

Admittedly it is hard to think of a historical civilisation which was not tempered by some religion or other.
So many religions to choose from, too. Communism? Maybe an aberration.
But is it inconsistent to decide to choose none at all? Would our veneer of civilisation be thinner if we do? I don't think so.
McTag

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 06:54 am
@lmur,

By Jove, Imur, you might be on to something there. It should be automatic, the time adjustment, but maybe not.

Even though my screen record said "Match of the Day", it recorded the previous hour. So even the machine seems to have been mixed up.
But I'll go and check the settings again.
Thanks.
spendius

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:01 am
@McTag,
It wouldn't be thinner Mac. It would vanish.

It is not inconsistent with our animal core to choose no religion in a society that does so. One can do what one wants whilst getting the benefits of others being disciplined.
McTag

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:46 am
@spendius,

I don't agree with this. Every army in history went off to war with its church's blessing.

The Vatican even collaborated in the extermination of Italy's Jews.

And they cover up all sorts of mideeds. No, I think it's more about power and influence (granted, maybe influence in a stable society) than anything else.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:50 am
@McTag,

Imur, you were right.

My telly regulates its own time automatically, but its recorder seems not to be as close-coupled as all that. And I had to go through about six screen "pages" to get to its "automatic" time regulation facility.

Damn. Sorry, Rafael. I tried.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:40 pm
There goes the neighborhood!

"You Scots have been living in a coma for too long," said Al Fayed and he
wants to be your president.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20091025/tod-fayed-eyes-president-of-scotland-rol-6058bda.html

What have you say Scotsman!
McTag

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 03:03 am
@CalamityJane,

I think Mohammed adds to the gaeity of the nation and I would have given him a British passport years ago.

I like him. I don't think he's presidential material, though....but it's amusing to speculate on.
spendius

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:07 pm
@McTag,
Did you know Mac that a horse called Queen of Pentacles won at Doncaster today at 14--1.

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 01:11 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Did you know Mac that a horse called Queen of Pentacles won at Doncaster today at 14--1.

Haha. Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 02:18 pm
@spendius,

So you must have had at least a pony on it, eh?

And two people won £40000000 each, and hadn't claimed their prizes last I heard.

That would change your life a bit.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 02:22 pm
The Cox's Pippin.

Is there a finer eating apple on this earth?

Not too tart nor too sweet, rosy of hue but flecked with green, unfailingly firm and crunchy of texture. The queen of apples.

I rarely eat fewer than two at a time.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 07:02 pm
PINK LADY is the apple of choice here.
McTag

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 02:23 am
@dadpad,

Suffering Christ, my computer's going slow this morning.

Maybe I'm being punished for misdeeds in an earlier life.

Pink Lady is okay, if you can't get a proper apple that is. A bit too woolly in texture for my taste.
The Cox's Pippin is the perfect accompaniment to the British autumn.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 02:28 am

Speaking of apples and the tastes of childhood, there is a particular type which was always used in toffee apples whan I was a lad. They are softish, and not good keepers, and so have a short season, but they always seem to have been marketed around Halloween and Guy Fawkes nights, and being cheap and a bit inferior, were used to make toffee apples.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 02:32 am

Somewhere, I imagine, two families are falling out about the ownership of a lottery ticket worth £45 million squids.

Oh my goodnes gracious.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 09:06 am
http://able2know.org/topic/138263-1#post-3813985
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 04:26 am

Bloody diabolical. Offside, then handball twice.

The luck of the Irish done ran out, big time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:09 pm
Another bunch of intrepid yachtsmen now going to cost us more than all the MPs expenses put together a few times over and then some if we are lucky. And not spent here like the MPs expenses were and finding a few folk a job and creating a few more taxpayers.

Why can't they lounge on the couch watching the footy like sensible people do? What are they trying to prove?
McTag

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 01:16 am
@spendius,

I suppose you don't bet on the horseracing from Dubai?

These professional yachtsmen have to take their sponsorship where thay find it.
0 Replies