Who's staying in London over 2012?

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 05:34 pm
Because I'm not.
My friend and I were chatting today, and we don't want to be anywhere near London when any of that happens.
Personally, I don't give a **** about the Olympics, so its no big deal.
How big does anyone else estimate the threat of terrorism to be?

Ceili

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 06:25 pm
Here in Vancouver, they think we all are potential terrorists. The government has amended civil liberty laws just for this event. Local airports and the businesses that depend on them are closing because of the strict interpretation of these laws. People are being detained because they are in association with protesters, no matter how little contact. Scary.
I don't think I'll be going any where near London. I just read about the new laws the British government has enacted, every phonecall, email and text is now being saved for a year. With all the cameras in the UK it's becoming very evident that Orwell was truly a seer of the future.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:09 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I always felt that it would be awful to stay in Sydney during the Olympics. We just don't seem to do those big things well!

But, when the time came, I just started a new job, after some unemployment, so really had no option.

And Sydney was fantastic! The traffic was never better. Public transport worked. Everyone was cheerful. Lots of people around but the general mood was for fun and enjoyment. I've lived here all my life (so far!) and I've never seen it better. If London can pull off a deal anything like it, you'll absolutely love it!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 07:14 pm
There is not going to be a 2012. The world will end in that year. This has happened many times in the past and will happen again in 2012. My belief is based on an impeccable reference ...a television program. I suggest everyone go out and buy army helmets.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 08:47 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

There is not going to be a 2012. The world will end in that year. This has happened many times in the past and will happen again in 2012. My belief is based on an impeccable reference ...a television program. I suggest everyone go out and buy army helmets.

You have some for sale, don't you, Ionus?
Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 10:34 pm
@Merry Andrew,
My Dear Merry,
How many shall I put you down for ? I strongly urge people to buy 3...one for their head, one for their bum, and one for their..ah..."front". If they do not work and you are killed, cheer up, they come with a life time guarantee.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 10:42 pm
@Ionus,
Oh, I shall put in an order for at least a dozen so as to take care of family and friends. However, I do need the number of your bank account and your PIN code so that I can make the appropriate deposit. Thank you so much. If you don't wish to post that information here, you may e-mail me or PM me.
Ionus

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 10:58 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Banko Suisse - 123456, pin No 666
Cayman Grando Banko - 654321, pin No 999
Dont forget to tell your friends about our one for the price of two deal.
(Limit of one per customer - Offer invalid where prohibited by stupid criminal law)
Cool
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 12:41 am
I want to come back to London for the Olympics in 2012.

PQ - We can have the booze Olympics with some tramp cider (I keep getting this phrase wrong don't I?).

T
K
O
Ionus

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 01:53 am
@Diest TKO,
Careful, the POMs have warm beer. It can kill any cold beer drinker with just one sip.
aidan

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 02:05 am
@Ionus,
I don't know for sure, but I think what we call beer is what they call lager and beer is something different here altogether - but I DO know that you can get cold lager here- which is what I call beer. Cold Stella - even on tap - is pretty good and they have something called 'extra cold' something or other - either Fosters or Carling, I forget. Heck - you can even get chilled Corona's now AND Budweiser (in cans and bottles- but who'd want to drink one of those?).
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 02:10 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:

I hadn't given it a thought until you said something just now. I'll probably go in - at least for a day or two- just to see what's going on- not in the Olympics- I'd never pay what I'm sure you'd have to pay to get in there - but just to see all the people from all over the world.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 02:15 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Careful, the POMs have warm beer. It can kill any cold beer drinker with just one sip.

A2Ker, and Mod rocker to the stars Bazza introduced me to the English way to drink beer. I liked the slightly chilled below room temp beer from the non-gas tap.

Call me crazy. I don't like the crazy cold beer as much.

T
K
O
Ionus

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 02:37 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO, tears flooded when I read your post. You need to be put out of your misery. Perhaps if one of those gun toteing nuts who habit this forum would step up...

On second thoughts, if you lived in a land where 45 deg C was a very hot day, and it rarely got below 10 deg C, perhaps you would be a committed cold beer drinker.

The most impressive beer sytem I ever saw was in New Zealand pubs. They have beer deliveries in Tankers and they store it in huge basement vats. Do the POMs do the same ? What about the yanks ? Anything like that ? Here in Oz we use a rather inefficient system of half drum size kegs. Wastes a lot of beer. I am back to crying again, so I will sign off.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 02:38 am
I just realised the girls started a thread on the London Olympics but the boys turned it into a thread on beer.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 08:48 am
Nah I'm down with Beer, man. As TKO knows- (I hope you're not going to leave it until 2012 to come and visit me, Deist!).

But the point is I think it's too dangerous to be in London at this time. I'm sure if I did stay I WOULD love it- but I don't want to risk being blown up.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 08:52 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

apparently it's 100%, since they've already beaten you
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 09:05 am
@ehBeth,
Good point, but I consider this a better type of beaten than the other type of beaten.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 10:54 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
We'll certainly be there - not to watch any of the sports but just to watch what's going on.

I spend not a single thought on terrorism: such can happen any day, anywhere. (And actually I've been in some more dangerous "zones" before.)
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:25 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I hope you're not going to leave it until 2012 to come and visit me, Deist!

Nah.

More euro travel to come in the next year. I might possibly be passing through again. I'll keep you informed!

T
K
O