How to Care for a Teapot

Bohne

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 03:32 am
[quote="hamburger"]noddy :
here a selection from ...THE ENGLISH TEA STORE...for your enjoyment .
hbg[/quote]

AAAARGGGHHHH!

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO POST THAT LINK???
HAVE TO GET CLOTTED CREAM AND SHORTBREAD NOW!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:43 am
Clotted cream and shortbread are cheaper in your local supermarket, I suppose ... at least than in our local British shop :wink:
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:46 am
[quote="Walter Hinteler"]Clotted cream and shortbread are cheaper in your local supermarket, I suppose ... at least than in our local British shop :wink:[/quote]

There's no clotted cream in MY local supermarket!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:00 am
"Dr Oetker Double Cream" is really 'clotted cream' but very similar.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:10 am
Hamburger--

Such a wicked, wicked link....and I've nearly squandered my mad money for the month of March.

Bohne--

A link to my Brown Betty teapot is posted early on in the thread. At the moment I'm enjoying my first mug of teapot tea. Since I lack a cozy, the pot is hidden under two blue and white checked gingham dish towels.

Outside temperatures are in the teens and a sugar snow is falling, falling, falling.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:07 am
HBG

oh my,

you just gave me something nice to spend 10 dollars on. Smile
thanks.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:24 am
WOW, did you really pay more than $30 for that teapot?

I got my first (four cups, brown) from Portobello market for 2 or 3 pounds (new).
I bought the second one (two cups, blue) at a flea marked for 1 Euro.
The third one (one cup, blue and white) was a christmas present. This was probably the most expensive one, though, since it came from Whittards of Chelsea...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:09 am
Bohne--

The devil made me do it...I was feeling good and sorry for myself as one of the Unrecognized Heroines of the Uncaring Universe.

I'll get $31 (plus P&H) enjoyment out of it. Every morning, every cup of tea will validate my One Candle Glory.

("If everyone lit one little candle, what a bright world this would be."

Except for bookstores I've never been a browsing shopper. I usually know exactly what I want and my frustration level when I find that "something" isn't available is embarassingly low.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 12:04 am
Surprised)

I know that feeling...
And as long as you enjoy your tea, I guess every Cent was worth it!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 11:16 am
clotted cream is gorgeous

We always wash teapots - I don't know anyone who doesn't.

I must admit i rarely use a teapot as I like freshly made tea and hate it when it's stewed.

My mother insists on the traditional way of warming the teapot with boiling water, let it stand for a minute, tip it away and then make tea quickly with boiling water - must be on the boil.

She then brews it for ages - yuk! I hate the taste of that - I like mine fresh. She also insists on tea leaves and I go for the convenience of bags - himself isn't bothered one way or t'other!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:02 pm
Best way to care for a teapot is to allow no tempests within it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 04:12 pm
I'm still trying to incorporate the ritual of the teapot into the bleary eyed reality of my mornings.

Boil water.

Heat Pot.

Add teabags.

Must remember to cover pot with cozy.

Must remember to set timer.

Must remember to remove teabags.

Just three, obvious steps to master. I can't even blame early EDS--just galloping ossification.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:22 am
Hihi, it will come, trust me!

Going to have a nice cup of tea myself, now! (no pot, since I'm at work, though)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:46 am
Bohne--

Enjoy.

This morning I managed all three segements of the tricky bit and managed to peel my tangelo while the tea steeped.

My tea (Numi green gunpowder) is delicious.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 01:10 pm
I hope, you still enjoy your tea, Noddy!

In today's news ...

Quote:
Friday, 18 May 2007

Blair pines for 'good cup of tea'

He may be keeping tight-lipped about what he plans to do next, but Tony Blair has revealed one major regret about his time in power.

That he did not do enough to promote the traditional British cup of tea.

"If I were running for office again I'd make it a major part of any platform," he joked in a US radio interview.

When it was put to him that it was impossible to get a good cup of tea in London, Mr Blair, who stands down next month, said: "I fear you may be right."

Mr Blair was speaking about his plans for retirement to Al-Arabiyah television and National Public Radio's Morning Edition at the end of a two-day trip to Washington.

Tradition

He left open the option of establishing a "Blair Foundation" to promote inter-faith understanding and peace
"I'm so busy still being the actual prime minister, I've not worked out exactly how," he told NPR.

"All these things are possible. I just don't know at the moment."

But he also said he wanted to uphold the British tradition of a well-made cup of tea.

As the interview was ending, he was challenged by producer Madhulika Sikka, who said it was impossible to buy a good cup of tea in London any more.

"This is a serious allegation," he said.

"I fear you may be right. This is a British tradition that must not be lost. If I were running for office again, I'd make it a major part of any platform.

"It's got to be properly strong, it's got to have the right colour.

"The trouble is, not many people do it like that.

"That's why I drink coffee when I'm in mainland Europe, because they just can't make a cup of tea."

Mr Blair is often seen with a cup or, more often, a mug of tea in his hand - although he has cut down on his coffee intake in recent years following a heart scare.
Source

The [London] Evening Standard (West End Final, 18.05.07, page 6) had -of course- an big report as well, including this "advice":

http://i2.tinypic.com/6atwxtg.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 01:21 pm
Tea.

New York.

June.

Teany.

https://www.teany.com/

98 varieties
0 Replies

chirchri

Reply Mon 29 May, 2017 09:52 pm
To preserve a beautiful pot, always clean it immediately after use; don't just let it sit. To remove stubborn stains, take a damp cloth dipped in baking soda, then rub the entire inside of the pot. Roll up a small section of cloth to clean the spout. Rinse well with hot water and store with the lid off. To reduce future tea stains, use a tea ball to steep loose tea.
0 Replies

demilovato

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 03:19 am
@Noddy24,
The best maintenance is to use it make tea, and by heart ...
0 Replies

Novy

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 09:18 pm
@Noddy24,
john-in-siam said 3 months ago

In my experience brewing preferences tend to vary over time, with exposure, so the idea that there is one specific way to brew tea best is probably not a good assumption. The standard temperature range suggestions are a good starting point but people’s opinions about them vary, probably in part related to using different approaches, and also to preferring slightly different results. Vietnamese people tend to prefer their green tea brewed with boiling point water, and like the resulting astringency; are they wrong about that? Of course the main variation is related to proportion of tea to water, with infusion time adjusted to correspond to that, two main factors in the Western and Gongfu style brewing divide.

It starts with using good tea that is suited to personal preference. If any guidance starts based around using a tea bag most tea enthusiasts wouldn’t accept that as valid, but given that subjective preference is the guide post it may not matter that much what most well-informed people tend to think. At the finest level of detail a lot of inputs matter, for example the type of water used (ph and mineral content, and also how it is prepared), and brewing vessel, and so on. Even the level of background noise affects the experience of drinking the tea, so it’s not necessarily simple to cut off the discussion at brewing parameters.

It might be as well to let the “perfect” idea go and brew tea in a way that works for you, and experiment with changes some to develop that further over time.
0 Replies