Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:00 pm
Have you watched it yet? I was watching these 3.5 gpa college graduates who were sweating bullets over these questions I was whizzing through..... and I'm a 10th grade high school dropout. squinney and I both about **** when the one girl last night had to agonize half the show about what the closest star to earth was. Laughing Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,077 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:01 pm
Mars?

oh oh....wait....

Cinncinnati?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:08 pm
Just because you go to college does not make you smart.
Just because you drop out of high school does not make you dumb.

There are smart people that have dropped out of high school, there are smart people that go to college and there are smart people who have gone to prison. All of these also apply to dumb. (even though I do not like to use the word "dumb")
Chai

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:22 pm
I would like to apologize tth, for using the word "Cinncinnati"
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:26 pm
Yeah TTH, I bet there have been some "dumb" people who went to prison.

(oh sorry, how about "inarticulate?")
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:27 pm
Chai wrote:

Why?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:42 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
Chai wrote:

Why?

kidding....did you ever go back and look at your "I want to apologize thread"?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 02:47 pm
Cinncinnati???

We all know the closest star to earth is Bear. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 03:14 pm
I haven't watched the show - but aside from the obvious you can be smart without a degree, and the reverse - I would imagine nerves, being on national TV could make even a very knowledgeable (aka Cliff Claven type) answer some normally easy questions incorrectly.

Also if you were to ask me some 5th grade history questions - I would probably get them wrong (I hated history). But ask me some math problems and I would ace them.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
Chai wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
Chai wrote:

Why?

kidding....did you ever go back and look at your "I want to apologize thread"?

I hit the wrong button in my email and went there (I think) but, as soon as I thought I was there I left. I did not read anything if there is anything there.
I have no idea what was posted in there other than my own and I said in that post I was not going to be back to read any of it. I like to keep my word.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 03:28 pm
I watched- it was pretty ridiculous- some of these people could not answer one question!

Admittedly, I totally forgot what a trapezoid was. And that Columbus Day was in February....and I got some math question wrong about area, which I still haven't quite figured out...

But OBVIOUSLY, Polar Bears do not eat Penguins. And I totally knew that.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:19 pm
I caught a little of it last night. Couldn't stand to watch the whole show, it was too painful. I suspect the contestants are Jeopardy's rejects.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:24 pm
3 states border the pacific.... Jesus lady... Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:32 pm
Some of those questions weren't so simple. Seriously! For instance, with all that money on the line, they ask what the biggest species of Bear is. Yeah, in fifth grade I might have known that, but who the hell keeps a tiny little insignificant piece of info like that all through their life if they aren't a goddammed zookeeper! I would have guessed correctly, but with the extra pressure that isn't so easy a question.

And what about, "Which constellation contains the big dipper?" That's information that is long gone from my memory banks.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:38 pm
so, what show is this?

is it a regular show on TV now? What's the name, I want to see it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:38 pm
I will fess up to not knowing that one....nor did squinney. And believe it or not I guessed Grizzly Bear. I got all the other ones though.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:40 pm
and btw goombah.... any info pertaining to a Polar Bear is significant....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:45 pm
I figured you, being of that species, would have known that question! That is shameful! Actually, I bet you would have got that one if that woman hadn't brought up grizzly bears in the first place. Cuz I was sure it was a Polar Bear until she started talking it out.

Does Chai seriously not know the name of the show? I can't tell if she's just f---ing with us and trying to make us look dumber than a fifth-grader.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:59 pm
I wasn't too surprised at the answers. I had to think really hard on the Trapezoid question and almost blew it when I misspelled allegiance in my head. But I think most of us would get most of the questions right that they've had so far.

My gripe with the show is that it is really REALLY slow. I think it would be much better if they would pick up the pace to at least the pace of "Let's Make a Deal".
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:03 pm
strawberry333 wrote:
I watched- it was pretty ridiculous- some of these people could not answer one question!

Admittedly, I totally forgot what a trapezoid was. And that Columbus Day was in February....and I got some math question wrong about area, which I still haven't quite figured out...

But OBVIOUSLY, Polar Bears do not eat Penguins. And I totally knew that.

No offense I don't think the question why polar bears don't eat peguins is
so obvious. I only know because I asked a lot of people that same question
just to inform them if they did not know. Nobody I asked got it right. The commercial on TV even shows them together. So people are misled by what they see on tv. I don't know all the holidays either (at least what date they are on).
0 Replies