Student exchange!

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:46 pm
I'm at 15 year old girl from Australia, really keen to go to America for a student exchange program. I think it would be an amazing experiance.
My parents are fine with me going for 3 months max. But the only program avalible is for 6 months.
How can I convince them to let me go?
Thanks everyone. xxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 850 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:11 am
G'day danni, My daughter went to Sweden for 12 months on a rotary exchange at age 16. I was not keen on her going but she was so determined that in the end I couldnt stop her. I have a young friend on exchange in France currently. see This thread. In addition my family hosted a Swedish girl who was an absolute delight. She has been home in sweden about 12 months now and phoned us to say she will return for a holiday around mid year.

What you need to do is show how responsible and flexible you are. What that means is participating in houshold tasks such as dishes, cleaning, your homework without being told/reminded to. Take care of your own spaces bedroom bathroom in a routine way. This is something that will be required of you when you are away. Discuss difficult situations in your life with your parents and tell them how you would have handled them. Accept your parents advice with good grace, they probably do know what they are talking about despite what you think sometimes.

Have you talked to your local Rotary club? I understand they have some short exchange programs. I am not in favour of short exchanges they tend to end up being a "holiday" more than an absorption of a new/different culture.
You may, if you wish tell your parents I thoroughly recommend a 12 month exchange for the right person.

In addition you should have a look at this site. The answers you seek are here both for your parents and yourself.
This forum is run by exchangers for exchangers. here you can fid the downside of exchange as well as the upside.
http://www.cultures-shocked.org/forum/index.php
I will talk with more if you wish on that forum.

Last but not least show show your parents this poem. The poem is about trust and risk. Every teenager needs risk in their lives to grow for some kids this ends up being drugs sex alcohol and crime.
Parents need to learn to trust. Trust in you and trust in themselves. Trust that they have laid a solid framework that will not break if you do have a collision. Giving that trust is one of the hardest jobs a parent ever has. you need to recognise how hard that is for your parents.

Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It's too high!
COME TO THE EDGE!
So they came,
he pushed them,
and they flew

And don't give up on your dream. If you arn't committed then it will show.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:03 pm
These are some of the answers provided by exchangers on the forum I mentioned in my previouse post.

ASSE has a bunch of short-term exchange programs.
Twinning program - 3 months
Summer Homestay - 6 weeks
Summer Homestay/Tour - 4 weeks
Summer Language - 4 weeks

Rotary offer 1 month or 6 weeks aprox of short exchange.
AFS offer short exchanges of 2 months and 6 months.

YFU also offers short term exchanges called semester (5-6 months?) and summer programs (2-3 months?).

This organisation is the program my young friend in France is with.
http://www.sts-education.com.au/australia/hs/summer_programs/
Australian summer programs
- head to Europe, Brazil or China!

Experience winter and Christmas in Europe! You will celebrate the festive season in the European way, and enjoy the holiday break with your host family and new friends.

Enjoy summer in Brazil! STS now offers summer programs in Brazil, from 4 to 12 weeks.

Discover intriguing and amazing China! For the most open minded and culturally curious, we have added the destination of China, with programs from 2 to 3 months.
0 Replies