A Sweet Old Fashioned Thread....

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:27 am
Me, too . . . i kinda consider that a badge of honor . . . hand me 'nother a them ham sammiches, will ya?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:39 am
Right way to look at it.
Here ya go.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:48 pm
Quote:
We've never really had the whole soda fountain thing here....it is a fascinating item of American culture

My goodness. Where in Australia do you discover your movie stars?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:57 pm
George wrote:
So whaddya want, egg in yer beer?

I HATE beer!!!!! Get that thing away from me!!!

Setanta wrote:
Hmmph . . . sounds like something some old rummy would use as a chaser . . .

Hey, can we have some nice shaved ham on these sammiches next time? How cheap can ya get . . . it bet she sliced this herself . . .

Here....hands Set a razor.......don't cut yourself shaving, wil you honey?

George wrote:
Complaining about the sandwiches, again. Sheesh.

My uncles always used to say that about egg in your beer.
Must have been a WWII thing.

He's only happy when he's miserable.

And I don't care WHERE it comes from.........eggg in beer is a disgusting concept!!!!

sozobe wrote:
dlowan wrote:
We've never really had the whole soda fountain thing here....it is a fascinating item of American culture.

That was how my grandpa made a living -- he made the syrups for soda fountains.

Good lord! Now I know the grand daughter of a real live soda fountain man!!!!

farmerman wrote:
soda fountains pretty much started disappearing in the 70's. I dont know of any soda fountains still living in our medium cities. I think that Starbuck's are todays surrogate.

There you go.....the emblem of an anxious, overly hurried, zeitgeist.

George wrote:
When I was kid in East Boston, soda fountains were often called "spas."

There's that American language again!!! That's just weird!

Setanta wrote:
I worked as a short-order cook in the "snack bar" at the university i attended (the "snack bar" could seat 400 people). We had a soda fountain, which did a hefty business (late 1960s). On shifts which were not staffed to maximum, i used to do the soda fountain as well as the grill. What i really enjoyed was doing the sodas--which there and then meant ice cream, syrup and phosphate water. What i enjoyed was using the phosphate spigot just right to make the scoop of ice cream spin--which produced a huge crown of foam. People used to come for a soda (chocolate being the big favorite) when i was working, and ask that i make it for them.

Personally, though, my favorite was the Green River--which i don't think you can get any longer.

And another......"short order cook".

Does that mean you had to pretend to be short? Does it mean that you were forced to skimp on the orders?

Hehe heeh...the small pleasures of the hospitality industry.

I used to like making really generous banana splits.

George wrote:
Setanta wrote:
...people would have looked at you as though you were odd.

Yeah, I still get that a lot.

That makes sense.

Setanta wrote:
Me, too . . . i kinda consider that a badge of honor . . . hand me 'nother a them ham sammiches, will ya?

Certainly, darling, have you finished your shaving?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
Personally, though, my favorite was the Green River--which i don't think you can get any longer.

I see it occasionally -- mostly in restaurants.

wiki on Green River
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:08 pm
From JPB's link

Quote:

The name for the Creedence Clearwater Revival album Green River was inspired by the drink according to Tom Fogerty

I knew that reminded me of somethink.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:09 pm
Here's what wikipedia has to say about egg creams. My mother told me that at one time they had eggs and cream. Go figure.

"An egg cream is a classic New York City beverage consisting of chocolate syrup (Almost always Fox's U-bet chocolate syrup in New York), milk, and seltzer (soda water), probably dating from the late 19th century, and is especially associated with Brooklyn, home of its inventor, candy shop owner Louis Auster.[citation needed] It contains neither eggs nor cream.

The origin of the name "egg cream" is constantly debated. Stanley Auster, the grandson of the inventor, has been quoted as saying that the origins of the name are lost in time.[1] One commonly accepted origin is that Egg is a corruption of the German/Yiddish word echt ("genuine" or "real") and this was a "good cream". It may also have been called an "Egg Cream" because in the late 1800s, there were already many chocolate fountain/dessert drinks using actual eggs (e.g. 'Egg Brin'), and Auster wanted to capitalize on the name.

Though almost universally made with chocolate syrup, they were sometimes requested with other flavors, especially vanilla or strawberry.

The egg cream is almost exclusively a fountain drink; although there have been several attempts to bottle it, none have been wholly successful, as its fresh taste and characteristic head requires mixing of the ingredients just before drinking. The drink could be described as a "poor man's ice cream soda," as it has a similar overall flavor, but traditionally sold for only a slight premium over an ordinary fountain soda."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:16 pm
Aha!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:21 pm
See, I was right. Just because it was in NY, doesnt mean that it was Yiddisher. The "echt" part around Pa meant that the milk was usually half and half, a very rich drink indeed. Sort of like what they call an Italian SOda at the Starbucks. (Goddam thieving Seattlonians)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:26 pm
farmerman wrote:
See, I was right. Just because it was in NY, doesnt mean that it was Yiddisher. The "echt" part around Pa meant that the milk was usually half and half, a very rich drink indeed. Sort of like what they call an Italian SOda at the Starbucks. (Goddam thieving Seattlonians)

What does half and half milk mean?

Half CREAM???!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:49 pm
Well, it used to mean that. Now you can get fat free half and half (whatever that is).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
From JPB's link

Quote:

The name for the Creedence Clearwater Revival album Green River was inspired by the drink according to Tom Fogerty

I knew that reminded me of somethink.

Thanks for fixing my link, Walter. I hadn't even noticed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 04:21 pm
Bunny wabbit-- yes , half and half is half cream.

BUT--FAT FREE half and half, whats the point?.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:16 pm
I know, it makes about as much sense as fat free sour cream.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:01 pm
it's all a different language!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:45 pm
yeh but the fat is where all the creamy goodness resides.

ANYWAY, were all doomed. I read an article today that puts a topper on all this health ****. VITAMINS ARE NOW A HEALTH RISK, so there!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:49 pm
SO, I would like a treat plate with the following.

Several stone wheat crispy crackers (the garlic rosemary if you have it

A big ole hunk of ASIAGO cheese

AN equally big hunk of PRIMA DONNA cheese

some nice sweet cornichons

coupla nice slabs of mortadella and GABAGOOL

and, a nice spicy ginger beer
(STewarts or Barritts please)

Then Ill keep outta yer ways yer fuzziness.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:49 pm
Margo, is there any dry sherry left? How did I miss this thread 'til now?
(sitting back, sipping contentedly, enjoying the clever repartee...)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:52 pm
UUUUUURRRRRRRPPPPP
ya wants repartee?, put that in yer book.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:53 pm
I knew I could count on you, farmerman...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 10:32:25