A Sweet Old Fashioned Thread....

caribou

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:36 pm
ossobuco wrote:

Is this the thread that Caribou asked about how to do the +/- signs with more than one word? (I call them carats and probably spell that wrong) - Caribou, if you see this you have to click on disable HTML (see below the posting window).

Thankee ossobucco!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:12 pm
Embarrassed Completely misread Letty's post. Her furry friend's son got into college (whatever that means) and her son has improved.

I promise to slow down and pay attention.

So what about the spida?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:07 am
caribou wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

Is this the thread that Caribou asked about how to do the +/- signs with more than one word? (I call them carats and probably spell that wrong) - Caribou, if you see this you have to click on disable HTML (see below the posting window).

Thankee ossobucco!

Good lord...we've been useful rather than merely decorative!

Roberta wrote:
Embarrassed Completely misread Letty's post. Her furry friend's son got into college (whatever that means) and her son has improved.

I promise to slow down and pay attention.

So what about the spida?

Are you hoping the spida will slow you down?

I am not sure they do.

How was the egg cream?

Why be called an egg when there is no egg, and cream when there is no cream?

Truly, American is a strange language!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:42 am
dlowan wrote:

That's not American. That's Noo Yawk. And there was a time, many moons ago (before I was born), when an egg cream had cream and an egg.

BTW, I doubt that most people outside the general vicinity have even heard of an egg cream. Definitely a local thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 06:56 am
Roberta wrote:
dlowan wrote:

That's not American. That's Noo Yawk. And there was a time, many moons ago (before I was born), when an egg cream had cream and an egg.

BTW, I doubt that most people outside the general vicinity have even heard of an egg cream. Definitely a local thing.

No no....I swear there was a huge discussion about this...somewhere...Abuzz?

And lots of you American people knew from egg creams.

So...how do you make egg creams with cream and an egg?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:12 am
Just so's ya know...
I am Letty's furry friend.
The "furry" is a reference to my avatar or to...
...er, no, just to my avatar.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:13 am
Noo Yawkahs talk funny. Just ask a Bostonian.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:13 am
I grew up in a Pennsylvania Dutch region and remember egg creams sold in corner fountains of Reading Pa, Harrisburg, and Lancaster Pa. They were Hersheys syrup (Not the NY original but I forget the NY brand), milk and seltzer (or "fountain water" ).
Ive always been under the impression that our German word "echt" or "real, true" was the origin of the word egg. SO it was originally known as an "echt Cream". Or a "fountain chocolate soda without ice cream"

I remember as a kid , they tried to bottle egg cream soda and it was a complete bust because they could never bottle the high froth that is the trademark of an egg cream, and really, a soda with even a hint of "egg" in it , sounds crappy..
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:14 am
(Raises glass to George and his pup on the college acceptance.)

Letty - Son's improving? What did I miss? Hope all is well. You know we love you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:39 am
George wrote:
Just so's ya know...
I am Letty's furry friend.
The "furry" is a reference to my avatar or to...
...er, no, just to my avatar.

Heh heh.....I had a wee explanatory email from Letty...heeheheheheheeeeee...giggles....

Congratulations to your son!!!

farmerman wrote:
I grew up in a Pennsylvania Dutch region and remember egg creams sold in corner fountains of Reading Pa, Harrisburg, and Lancaster Pa. They were Hersheys syrup (Not the NY original but I forget the NY brand), milk and seltzer (or "fountain water" ).
Ive always been under the impression that our German word "echt" or "real, true" was the origin of the word egg. SO it was originally known as an "echt Cream". Or a "fountain chocolate soda without ice cream"

I remember as a kid , they tried to bottle egg cream soda and it was a complete bust because they could never bottle the high froth that is the trademark of an egg cream, and really, a soda with even a hint of "egg" in it , sounds crappy..

We've never really had the whole soda fountain thing here....it is a fascinating item of American culture.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:31 am
So whaddya want, egg in yer beer?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:37 am
Hmmph . . . sounds like something some old rummy would use as a chaser . . .

Hey, can we have some nice shaved ham on these sammiches next time? How cheap can ya get . . . it bet she sliced this herself . . .
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:48 am
Complaining about the sandwiches, again. Sheesh.

My uncles always used to say that about egg in your beer.
Must have been a WWII thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:19 am
dlowan wrote:
We've never really had the whole soda fountain thing here....it is a fascinating item of American culture.

That was how my grandpa made a living -- he made the syrups for soda fountains.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:26 am
soda fountains pretty much started disappearing in the 70's. I dont know of any soda fountains still living in our medium cities. I think that Starbuck's are todays surrogate.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:34 am
When I was kid in East Boston, soda fountains were often called "spas."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:39 am
I worked as a short-order cook in the "snack bar" at the university i attended (the "snack bar" could seat 400 people). We had a soda fountain, which did a hefty business (late 1960s). On shifts which were not staffed to maximum, i used to do the soda fountain as well as the grill. What i really enjoyed was doing the sodas--which there and then meant ice cream, syrup and phosphate water. What i enjoyed was using the phosphate spigot just right to make the scoop of ice cream spin--which produced a huge crown of foam. People used to come for a soda (chocolate being the big favorite) when i was working, and ask that i make it for them.

Personally, though, my favorite was the Green River--which i don't think you can get any longer.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:46 am
Though I've encountered the term in books and movies, I've never heard
the word "phosphate" used for a fizzy drink in real life.
Sounds so... chemical.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:52 am
It was commonly used then and there--people would, in fact, come in to ask for a hand-made soft drink, by saying: "I want a strawberry phosphate," or "I want an orange phosphate." Different terms in different localities--if you'd have referred to a soda fountain as a spa there, people would have looked at you as though you were odd.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:26 am
Setanta wrote:
...people would have looked at you as though you were odd.

Yeah, I still get that a lot.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 03:20:56