Pride goeth before a fall on snow and ice

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:54 am
Mr. Noddy has been diabetic for nearly fifty years. The inevitable diabetic neuropathy has robbed him of sensation in his feet. This means that indoors, on a clear day and a flat surface he can trip and fall.

The lack of neural feedback in his feet also means that outdoors in winter weather, walking over black ice, spotty ice, irregular pavement or smooth payment he's likely to slip and fall.

He doesn't like to carry a cane--especially not a quad cane. Carrying a cane--especially a quad cane--isn't part of his self image.

I can sympathize with diabetic neuropathy. I have a great deal of trouble sympathizing with stupidity.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,724 • Replies: 21
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 12:42 pm
Noddy, please do not say "inevitable".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 12:59 pm
Roger--

When the 50 years include the end of the '50's, the '60's, the '70's, the '80's, the '90's and the '00's and the state of medical knowledge at those times....

Turn back the sands of time? Nope.

The moving finger writes
And having writ, moves on.
Not all thy piety nor all thy wit
Will call it back to cancel half a line
Nor all thy tears wash out a word of it.

Turn back the sands of time? Nope. Take advantage of every advance in medical information--of course. Diabetics can't take days off. Diabetics are always playing for real.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 01:09 pm
Noddy- There is more than one way to skin a cat. Talk him into buying the kind of sneakers that are meant for hiking on rough terrain. He'll look "cool", and the shoes will grip on the ice much better.

http://www.nextag.com/new-balance-all-terrain/search-html

This will give you an idea of what I mean. The first time that I went out west, I was slippin' and slidin' all over the place. Then I discovered that there were shoes that were meant for rough terrain. (What did I know? When I was a kid, sneakers meant "Keds") I picked up a pair of all terrain Merrill's, and brand that I had never heard of before on closeout, for under $50-. What a difference!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 01:21 pm
Phoenix--

Great link.

I've been urging that he put stripes of duck tape on the soles of his shoes. Remember the way we used to put strips of cloth-backed tape on toddlers little white shoes to give the kids some traction?

Mumble, mumble, prophets. Prophets in their own countries. Mumble, mumble.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 01:32 pm
Noddy24,

have you heard of spikes for shoes? I don't know the correct English name, so a picture to give you an idea. My father in law used these a lot because they fit every shoe.
Shoe spikes
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 01:37 pm
A cane may not be part of his self image, but neither would I think being face down on the concrete.

No advice other than to hold your dominion.

(((HUG)))
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 01:56 pm
We had a woman living in the apartments alone, far past the time she could properly care for herself. Her self image would not allow her to use a cane or, later on, a walker. One time, I had to help her right herself at the mailboxes. She somehow leaned forward too much and was doubled over, still on her feet. She refused help getting home. I hung close by, without allowing her to see me. When she failed to show up on her sidewalk after an ample time, I walked back and found her resting, using a truck's bumper for a seat. She waved me off and went the rest of the way without incident. When finally she conceded the use of a walker, it was too late. She came around to the mailboxes with it, and proceeded homeward. Midway, the wheel missed the sidewalk, and she tumbled onto the grass, where she lay until somebody discovered her. Within the week, her daughter moved her away. If she had started using the walker six months earlier, she might have avoided the fall and been able to get around for a longer time. People will call it cruel to allow this to go on, but, many people like her consider their lives over when they have to go to a home. The great majority, once they are forced to leave here, die within a few months.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:23 pm
Phoenix--

I printed out the pages--two copies, one for him for his use and one for me--and gave them to Mr. Noddy.

We're playing another game of "Yes, but."

Ul--

He has a set of Ice Walkers which slip over his street shoes. Unfortunately, the Ice Walkers grip on ice, snow, hardwood floors, indoor and outdoor carpeting....

Swimpy--

A man with a cane is a wimp. A man face down on the concrete is a long-suffering, courageous and daring hero.

I appreciate the sympathy. I'm purring.

Edgar--

You wrote a Truely Cautionary Tale. Bystanders are helpless when people won't abandon the past and move on to the new game with the new rules.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:18 pm
As part of the aftermath of the Valentine's Day Storm, Mr. Noddy slipped and fell on the ice. He complained of pain in his left arm for several days.

No. He did not want to go to the ER.

No. He did not want to ask his Internist or my Bone Man for a look-see.

Finally his endrocrinologist sent him to an Orthopedic Man across the hall and x-rays showed Mr. Noddy had a broken radius in his left forearm.

This was 2 1/2 weeks ago. Last Wednesday he had a check-up and came home disappointed that he had to keep the cast on for another month. Yesterday during the snowstorm, he amused himself by whittling away at the cast to increase the usefulness of his left hand. By bedtime he'd removed the cast.

This afternoon he made a stab at shoveling snow with a broken arm.

This is a man who used to understand torques and leverage.

Maddening.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:28 pm
ah, that's what happens when you marry someone who's a colorful character. i got to admit that his determination makes me smile and i'm a secret fan of his. i like stubborn ones.
on the other hand, i feel for you and can imagine how frustrating it is. not to mention dangerous for him.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:50 pm
Dag--

I hope you're home and not gadding around the Eurasian continent when the UPS truck pulls up and unloads a crate with air holes. I'll even send part of his pension with him.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:53 pm
unfortunately, the position of the stubborn arse has already been filled in this household. but we'll be holding auditions for the next one in mid august.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 01:38 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Dag--

I hope you're home and not gadding around the Eurasian continent when the UPS truck pulls up and unloads a crate with air holes. I'll even send part of his pension with him.

Laughing Sorry, noddy -- maddening is putting it nicely, I'm sure.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 01:41 pm
So now what.. can you get him back to the doctor's to get another cast?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 02:34 pm
Dag--

I have a little list.

JPB--

Thank you for the sympathy.

Osso--

He doesn't want another cast. He wants his youth back.
0 Replies

ottawasue

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 07:38 pm
oh man!
Oh Noddy

I'm sending you a big hug.

A little late, granted, but my guess is that you could use one anyway :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 08:00 pm
well , here is a fellow human who took a real dive several months ago !
i was sitting at the computer minding my own business when mrs h called : "your program is on !" - it was 9 pm .
i half-turned , got entangled in a computer wire and hit the corner of the writing deak with my chin !
blood was flowing nicely , but no pain - mrs h tried to stop bleeding by applying pressure - still bleeding heavily .
after about 2 hours went to hospital ER - a long line-up of coughing sneezing people - three ambulances drew up with university students that needed their stomachs pumped because of possible alcohol poisoning(they were drunk as a skunk) .
surgeon saw me about 2 am - needed a DOUBLE set of stitches - "lucky you didn't break your jaw " , he said .
home about 4 a.m .
i now sport a nice "dueling scar" on my right chin - feeling has almost come back completely - lucky me !
(computer wire has been tied up !)
my sympathies to you and mr. noddy !
hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:48 am
After nineteen years and many power outages Mr. Noddy is talking about getting the generator hooked up as an emergency power supply.

He's also fussing that he has to work to code because he's sure he has discovered a very clever short cut.

He will follow code because otherwise the FTL people won't pay off.

At least, I hope he will follow code.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:29 pm
I think the best application of a cane for Mr Noddy is around the ears! (repeatedly!!)
0 Replies