CHRISTIAN DECEIT

JTT

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:56 pm
Baldimo wrote:

I will use homosexuality as a prime example. Kids are being taught today that homosexuality is a fine thing in society when there are lots of families out there that don't think it is. Most of you see this teaching as fine because it goes with what you believe. How do you justify social engineering being taught in schools as ok when not everyone believes the same thing?

If it were "allowed" there would be "lots of families out there" that think Blacks or Orientals or some other ethnic groups were not so fine.

This is just one more battle to stop ignorant people like you from trying to deny normal decent people from having as normal a life as anyone else.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 08:37 pm
Baldimo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

How do you justify social engineering being taught in schools as ok when not everyone believes the same thing?

Are you making the claim that homosexuality should be treated the same as Christianity in the schools?

Any type of social engineering should be treated in school as religion is.

but religion is social engineering.

The basics of each religion can be taught in a few days each.

i more or less agree with you here. getting a solid understanding of the nuances takes longer don't you think?

You don't need to make the children dress up in Muslim outfits and have them take Muslim names. That is unfair treatment of religions because they won't do the same for other religions.

kinda. depends where you live, i guess. in l.a., many areas have people from a number of different religions.

it does seem a little over the top, again depending on how old the kids are. grade school age, ehhh, could be fun for them. and islam and orthodox judaism have far more rules regarding clothing and such than christianity, reformed judaism or buddhism.

come to think of it, sufis have some rules about that stuff too.

there is a difference with religion and the other things that you mention in that there are already plenty of places that exist for the sole purpose of religious instruction. i.e., churches, synagogues, temples etc.

and the new deal is, after all, an event in history and where do we go to learn history ?

school. right ?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 01:42 am
Baldimo wrote:
They [the valedictorians] aren't speaking for the school but are asked to give their own speechs and every year we hear the students are prevented from talking about how God had an influence in their lives.

The valedictorians speak only for themselves? That's not true and you know it. The purpose of the valedictorian speech is to give the brightest student in the class the chance to represent the students in that class to the parents and relatives attending, and to give notice to the larger world out there that their children have arrived as adults. In other words, the school and the class is saying to the world "Here-see what this class has produced".

As such the valedictorian represents all the graduating students, and it would be totally inappropriate for him or her to turn this celebration of all the graduating students into a revival meeting for people of their own religion.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 08:29 am
The Valedictorian case is a difficult one, because it sits right in the middle of two different ends.

Any student who is speaking for themselves has free speech right to say anything, including religious or any potentially offensive topic.

Any person who is speaking in an official capacity as part of the school (which is a public institution) is restricted in what they say in areas of religion (and any other topic).

The Validictorian speech sits right in the middle of these two, usually distinct, categories-- which makes this case interesting (and controversial).

I come down on the side of the student-- mainly on the grounds that the restriction on a form of self-expression, which is important for this student, is more damaging than making other students hear a reference in a speech (that most of them aren't listening to anyway).

I understand the controversy-- but a student who earns the right to speak should be given the freedom of self-expression. This is still different than an official establishment, or promotion of religion by the school-- and next year when a Wiccan earns Valedictorian, it will all work out.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:09 am
eBrown:

I am unfamiliar with any specific cases. Baldimo said that "every year" there are cases, so I dealt with the principle instead of any instance.

It's a public school system, and it would be inappropriate for the student chosen to say a few words on behalf of the graduating class to go into religion to any major extent. The religious right seems to think that unless they can turn any public gathering into a Sunday-go-to-meetin', they are being politically oppressed.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:51 am
It seems to me that the rational person will make a rational decision case by case.

I don't look at this as Christian vs. nonchristian (as sometimes Baldimo and some on the left do).

The important thing is that everyone has the same rights-- this includes homosexuals, christians and even atheists.

When it comes to rights, the focus should be on the rights of Americans. Worrying about the rights of one subgroup compared to another is folly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:42 am
And even atheists ? ! ? ! ?

You're so damned generous.

I've had a PM about the title of this thread, and this dovetails nicely with E_brown's last post. The reason for the title of this thread is that i believe that many, and probably most, christians who howl about the exclusion of god and religion from schools aren't really interested in a broad-based and even-handed look at religion in the schools. I believe that the christians who rant on this issue are being deceitful, in that their object is to make this a "christian nation," and that their intent is to introduce the bible and christianity into the schools, and the devil take the hindmost as far as any other religion is concerned.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:45 am
kelticwizard wrote:
The religious right seems to think that unless they can turn any public gathering into a Sunday-go-to-meetin', they are being politically oppressed.

Hear, hear.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:36 am
eBrown wrote:
I don't look at this as Christian vs. nonchristian (as sometimes Baldimo and some on the left do).

I don't think this really breaks down into a Christian vs non-Christian thing. I think it has to do with the fact that public discourse in this country used to be possible without God and religion being dragged into it in every conceivable way. Back in the forties, more people used to go to church than do now, percentagewise. Yet if you go back to the political speeches being made back then, religion was barely mentioned. People realized that faith and worship had a time and place.

Now, everywhere you look, somebody is screaming that because they can't erupt into prayer in the middle of school classes, supermarkets, and zoning board meetings, they are being systematically suppressed.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 06:01 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
eBrown wrote:

I don't think this really breaks down into a Christian vs non-Christian thing. I think it has to do with the fact that public discourse in this country used to be possible without God and religion being dragged into it in every conceivable way. Back in the forties, more people used to go to church than do now, percentagewise. Yet if you go back to the political speeches being made back then, religion was barely mentioned. People realized that faith and worship had a time and place.

Now, everywhere you look, somebody is screaming that because they can't erupt into prayer in the middle of school classes, supermarkets, and zoning board meetings, they are being systematically suppressed.

i agree. and also in the valedictorian case.

which begs the question about how religious right proponents would react if the speaker were doing the anti-war thing.

the vicious backlash against the dixie chicks and michael moore suggests that speaking at any public event, and only on your own behalf would be even less tolerant to a valedictorian making anti-war speeches.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:49 pm
well set, generally it takes one c*cksucker to recognize another, so your saying baldimo's got good eyesight?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:26 am
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

I will use homosexuality as a prime example. Kids are being taught today that homosexuality is a fine thing in society when there are lots of families out there that don't think it is. Most of you see this teaching as fine because it goes with what you believe. How do you justify social engineering being taught in schools as ok when not everyone believes the same thing?

If it were "allowed" there would be "lots of families out there" that think Blacks or Orientals or some other ethnic groups were not so fine.

This is just one more battle to stop ignorant people like you from trying to deny normal decent people from having as normal a life as anyone else.

What is a normal life now a days? They can live their lifes just fine but that doesn't mean the schools have to teach about the homosexual life style. Most of you don't agree with the Christian religion and that is your right, but to not teach it because it teaches a different set of values then what you hold is not good enough. Many families don't agree with homosexuality but you think that is ok to teach. How about we avoid both subjects and just teach our children to read, write do math, and science. Leave the morals to be taught at home.

If we teach one set of morals then we should teach the other set so that we have some even handedness in the schools.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:28 am
Baldimo wrote:

What is a normal life now a days? They can live their lifes just fine but that doesn't mean the schools have to teach about the homosexual life style. Most of you don't agree with the Christian religion and that is your right, but to not teach it because it teaches a different set of values then what you hold is not good enough. Many families don't agree with homosexuality but you think that is ok to teach. How about we avoid both subjects and just teach our children to read, write do math, and science. Leave the morals to be taught at home.

If we teach one set of morals then we should teach the other set so that we have some even handedness in the schools.

Schools should teach children, as a matter of course, that you do not discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation, just as schools should teach that you don't discriminate against people on the basis of creed, color, ethnic origin, etc.

It's as simple as that.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:32 am
Where is ole "religion should be like comfortable underwear" Tico? Why no comments now, on this issue, from that leader in deceptive posting.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:13 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
which begs the question about how religious right proponents would react if the speaker were doing the anti-war thing.

Or, what would the religious right say if the speaker bought up Wicca as his/her religion during the speech?

Listen to them howl.

The religious right want rights for themselves only. They don't believe in rights for those they don't like.

Quote:
Most of us know things are afoot in the spiritual realm including a major battle for the souls of the children. From the once-famous Smurfs and their "delightfully innocent" spells used by witches worldwide through the Harry Potter fiasco, it's a given that Satan (from the Hebrew Ha Satan; the adversary or accuser) is up to no good. Children have been brainwashed by such fantasies as the Wizard of Oz, with its bad witches and "good" witches, for decades. That movie was shown repeatedly last July 4th weekend and during the Christmas holiday season. Think it was a fluke? I don't.

According to the American Family Association of Michigan (AFAM), a middle school principal in Midland promised that the school newspaper wouldn't include articles that encourage students (11 through 13) to participate in and experiment with witchcraft. That was because a student wrote an article for the winter 2005 issue of the school paper titled "Good Witch or Bad Witch?" Evidently, his aunt is a Wiccan witch and he chose to experiment with "this religion and see if this is the way for me." [1]

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/22434.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:16 am
Quote:
but to not teach it because it teaches a different set of values then what you hold is not good enough. Many families don't agree with homosexuality but you think that is ok to teach.

It's the difference between tolerance and approval.

Schools should and do teach our kids to be tolerant of people who are different of them. This is an important strategy for survival in our modern society.

They shouldn't be teaching approval or endorsement. While people have the freedom to make their own choices, certain topics - such as religion and sexuality - should be shown to kids to exist but not advocated to be a particularly good or bad choice.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:27 am
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Schools should teach children, as a matter of course, that you do not discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation, just as schools should teach that you don't discriminate against people on the basis of creed, color, ethnic origin, etc.

It's as simple as that.

Teaching that discrimitation is bad is one thing teaching about a certain life style is another. Do they ever mention in schools that the largest group of people who still get AIDS on a regular basis are homosexual men? Or do they only talk about the good associated with homosexuality? I know network television says nothing about this. Just wondering if we are getting a fair and balanced view of this subject.
0 Replies