ARE YOU AN AMERICAN?

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 02:11 pm
I happened upon this post because I did a search for "asylum-seeker" ...

oldandknew wrote:
We have legal immigrants from all over the world. They work, earn their wages, pay tax and for the most part obey the law. They have kids and thus raise families. Most of them accept they have to integrate and speak English if they are to survive. We have Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Afro Carribeans and so on. They are able to retain there own culture but they can't remain aloof from British culture. In fact 3rd generation immigrants and onwards are very much part of British society and are accepted by the vast majority of whites. They have English accents, use the same stores, TV stations, drive the same cars and drink in the same pubs, have equal opportunities.

Our main problem are the illegals, they come in from Eastern Europe and the Middle East and claim asylum. The social services are stretched in trying to support them and it's the indiginous population that pays the bills thru taxes. Next you hear complaints that the aid being offered to them is not good enough. They want more and they want bigger, as if we are some kind of charity.

The irony here is:

a) that the very same things you observe about the current "illegals from Eastern Europe and the Middle East" were being said about the "Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Afro Carribeans and so on" when they came to the UK (some would insist on still saying it about them);

and b) that the only difference between them and the current illegal immigrants is that the British immigration law changed ... the motivations of the immigrants are still the same, good and bad alike. Its just that today's Romanians and Iraqis dont have the relative luck the immigrants of the seventies had in terms of entry regulations.

In a way - though the argument that some kind of control must be exerted is easy enough to validate - that's a pity. Because if the newest immigrants were given the same opportunities to build a legal life here as their predecessors, you would probably be talking in the same way about them in twenty years as you do now about the Pakistanis, Afro Caribbeans et cetera. What will become of them as illegals is an open question, on the other hand.

(As for those asylum-seekers who eventually get recognized as "real" refugees, they carry the burden of trauma but are on the other hand usually significantly higher educated than the Afro-Caribbean and Indian immigrants of old.)

Just my 2 c.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 02:25 pm
I don't know; you tell me. I was born in the US as a third generation American. I completed my education in the US, and earned a BS in Business Administration with a major in Accounting at a California university. I served in the US Air Force for four years and my two brothers served in the US Army. One served in active duty during the Korean War, and my other brother served in the medical corps. All our children and my nephews and nieces are American born citizens. Am I an American? c.i.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 02:49 pm
From Oregon:

I am *not* an American. I am a human being!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 02:55 pm
Skis, Now, how did you come to "that" conclusion? c.i.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 02:56 pm
SkisonFire has a good point: more and more I am hearing Americans refer to themselves as "citizens of the World" or "human being" instead of saying "American". During the Contragate hearings, there was a sensationalist mini-series on TV called "Amerika". This was the last period of time where I saw so many citizens be so disgusted with the US administration that "American" became a four letter word, so to speak. I can tell you that I am definitely NOT an "Amurican" or however it was that Dubya used to pronounce it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 03:04 pm
Is this the patriotic criticism mentioned elsewhere?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 03:14 pm
I declared myself "A Citizen of the World" before GWBush ever took the white house. c.i.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 03:17 pm
Just because Exxon chooses to do business in my home town doesn't mean I am a member of Exxon.

Just because a group of warmongers does business in Washington doesn't mean I am a member of the federal government.

Politics is fundamentally about pushing, manipulating and controlling
other people rather than letting people just be themselves.
To the extent that politics engages in politics, I am a human being
and would rather people live their lives without interference.

To the extent that government exists, it is a failure, because the
original point of the USA was to be free.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 03:20 pm
I agree with David Bowie, I'm afraid of 'Americans'
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 10:44 pm
Misti<

I think your original post on this thread is for lunatic, right-wing, Christian fanatics only. It is a hateful piece of writing.

However, because I am an American, I know our First Amendment gives you the right to your opinion. It also gives me the right to disagree with it.

You must be upset because it appears that Operation Iraqi Freedom was only a deadly ruse.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 01:25 am
I'm quite glad that there are "lunatic, right-wing, Christian fanatics"!

It is very cool to have all kinds of wild ideas and opinions flying around, because it really stretches my mind to understand such ideas, in whatever framework they seem to make sense.

It gives me more data points to understand, and the confidence of knowing what my own opinion really is, from the whole world of possibilities. Such diversity tests me, and the exercise gives me great strength -- so bring it on!

I just wish the author of this article had been a little more persuasive.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 11:24 am
SkisOnFire wrote:
I'm quite glad that there are "lunatic, right-wing, Christian fanatics"!

I, also, am quite glad as it makes meself seem all the more normal! Smile
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 10:32 pm
SkisOnFire<

My purpose here is not to be a "persuasive" writer, just one who has an opinion. Opinions, you know, are like a$$holes. Everybody's got one . . . and they all stink.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 04:42 am
williamhenry3 wrote:
SkisOnFire<

My purpose here is not to be a "persuasive" writer, just one who has an opinion. Opinions, you know, are like a$$holes. Everybody's got one . . . and they all stink.

I think Skis was referring to the article that Misti originally posted when he wrote, "I just wish the author of this article had been a little more persuasive." Not to you.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 06:27 am
The original article (just like anyone's opinion) is persuasive to me if the reasoning is clear, complete, and well thought out.

Clear thinking can occur whether or not someone is "trying" to persuade. Even a hateful and hurtful article could be persuasive if it contained valid points, but alas, this one just wanders around claiming "you need to do this" and "you should that".

Without much reasoning to support each opinion, we could easily reverse the meaning of each sentence and the article will still make just as much sense!

When the opposite statements are just as rational and cohesive, to me that's bad logic and not very persuasive, regardless of where I stand on the issue. I guess the author was just venting his hatred, so there's not much I can learn from the article. Oh well.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:25 am
More info on this piece can be found here: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/american.htm

Including a bit about the person who wrote the original etc.
0 Replies