What would you do?

pkrhed

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:38 pm
Hello all I'm new here, thanks for having me.
Anyway right to the problem. I've been working for this company for 7 years. I am an inspector in an industry where Quality Control is taken very seriously. I am the only inspector at our branch. Over the past couple of months clients and potential clients of the company have been told I am the branch "QC Manager". I didn't really mind so much that they were told that by our people, but I would have thought they would have let me know about it BEFORE they showed up.
Last week I received an email requesting an updated resume, which the company to use in bid packages. About this time I also saw the organization chart that they are sending out which shows me as QA/QC Manager. Nothing wrong with that in itself I suppose but as I said I was never informed or asked about it.
So when I go to update my company resume I send an email out to the branch VP with a question I had about a project and just add in like " by the way" and ask him about the request for updated resumes and shouldn't I put manager instead of inspector for the title on it, since the resumes and org chart are part of the same deal.
This was Thursday afternoon, Friday I pass him in the hall once and he says "oh yeah got your email, just haven't really had time to respond" OK. So I wait until yesterday before lunch and forwarded it (the email from Friday) to him again with a little note "You didn't forget about me did you".

No response yet.

I really don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect a clarification on my position and title. It really doesn't affect what I'm doing from day to day as I said I'm the only QC guy here at this branch, but still....
Tomorrow will be a week since I asked. It seems he's just avoiding the question.
I don't want to seem too pushy but I don't know why the guy acts like he's afraid to talk to me. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 768 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:42 pm
He's probably trying to figure it out, all of the implications. Especially -- and you didn't say this was a motivation but I bet it's part of what he's thinking -- if you're suddenly a "manager," if that means you get a raise. There may be internal policies about that, etc. (That all managers get a salary within a certain range, or something.)

So I'd imagine he's trying to get all of his ducks in a row before giving an official response. Who started calling you manager, why, whether that needs to be rectified (and you go back to being called inspector or whatever you were called before), whether you should be called manager across the board, whether you SHOULD get a raise, if so how much, etc., etc.

It's probably in your best interest to give him more time -- if some things could go either way, pressuring him will be more likely to make him decide against you, IMO.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:44 pm
He's probably craw fishin' trying to figure out how not to give you more money for you promotion.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:54 pm
This is what is commonly known as...bullsh!t.

We used to pay complete strangers to fill up an audience for new and potential clients to give them the impression that we had a large workforce out representing there product. We didn't.

I think it would be more creditable, professional and a reflection on your character if you went straight to the point. My email would no other topic. It would say "I have been referred to as a manager on paper and in person. Has there been an error or have I been uninformed?" and note your references to your new phantom title.
0 Replies

pkrhed

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:28 pm
Thanks for the responses, I think you all are right. I had thought about the money, as in I know he expects me to ask for a raise with the promotion. I just got a raise and that's not really a problem, of course he doesn't know I won't demand more because he won't discuss it.
And Amigo yes that's what it seems like to me and just wanted to describe the situation accurately to some uninterested parties and see.
From my side it seems they want to use my name for their "front" but then just keep me out of the way when noone is really looking. Rolling Eyes Bullshit IS all you can call it it seems.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:30 pm
Don't sell yourself short saying you just got a raise.

If they think you're good enough to be called manager, you good enough to get more money.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 12:36 am
Have you taken on Manager responsibilities? If not you don't nessesaraly warrant a raise. You might consider letting them know that they might be doing it to boost the company image and that if it's good for the company it's good for everybody (if it's a good company). Show them your company and buisness savvy, a team player and maybe they will include in more action.
0 Replies

pkrhed

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:03 am
Amigo wrote:
Have you taken on Manager responsibilities?

Not really, just depends on how you look at it I suppose. I am the only inspector at this branch so I'm responsible for all QC functions and decisions. But I don't have anyone working for me so it does seem weird to have to appoint someone as manager. Confused

Amigo wrote:
If not you don't nessesaraly warrant a raise. You might consider letting them know that they might be doing it to boost the company image and that if it's good for the company it's good for everybody (if it's a good company). Show them your company and buisness savvy, a team player and maybe they will include in more action.

Agreed. That's the plan. Cool I'm just irritated at them wanting to make a show out of it but not go ahead and follow through with an official promotion and give me the title. Like I said I'm good with the money. It just seems to me they want to use my name as a department manager to show Quality Control answers only to the VP, but not really work that way or let me use that title for MY resume when they are done with me because HR will still have me as "Inspector" when anyone checks on what I did here. No biggie either way I guess, just wanted to see what advice I could get here. Thanks.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:10 am
pkrhed wrote:
I am the only inspector at this branch so I'm responsible for all QC functions and decisions

pkrhed, two things, one a suggestion and the other a question:

The suggestion is to use the following as an avatar...

http://benjanaway.users.btopenworld.com/Graphics/Gadget.gif

And the question, pkrhed.... Is your name short for peckerhead?

Please tell me that isn't so.
0 Replies

pkrhed

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:15 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

And the question, pkrhed.... Is your name short for peckerhead?

Please tell me that isn't so.

YES IT IS. Cool I got tired of trying to register on sites with cool names because they are all taken mostly. pkrhed is usually available on the first try for some reason. LOL.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:27 am
Well then, I'm gonna call you Pecker from now on. Is that ok?
0 Replies

pkrhed

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:04 am
Knock yourself out. Got the avatar up too, thanks.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:07 am
Dun-da-dun-dun-dun Inspector Pecker. Dun-da-dun-da-dun-dun-dun.
0 Replies

pkrhed

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:23 am
It's better to be Inspector Pecker than a pecker inspector.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:55 am
Oh great, now peckerhead is all brown nosing up to gus.

Remember, the privilege of being gustavratzenhofers protege might give great rewards, but with it comes much responsibility.

capybera's don't get up and fry their own eggs in the morning you know.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 10:36 am
One last suggestion. Start bossing people around and when they give you static show them where it says your the manager and say "Don't you know I'm the manager buddy, Your better get with the program bub. Now get me that coffee. I like it hot black and bitter like my women....and a crispy cream..one of them sprinkle jobs, you got that chief."
0 Replies

pkrhed

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:55 am
That sounds like fun. It seems to work for a bunch of jerks too, upper management sees them taking charge and assume he's a born leader.
0 Replies