Governor Deval Patrick , the Big Spender!

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:39 am
Patrick to repay taxpayers for decor
$10,000 spent for drapes; governor to offset car costs

By Frank Phillips and Andrea Estes, Globe Staff | February 21, 2007

Governor Deval Patrick spent more than $10,000 on damask drapes for his State House office as part of a $27,387 makeover that also included a new desk, settee, and other furnishings paid for with taxpayer money.

Yesterday, after an inquiry from the Globe, Patrick abruptly announced that he would repay the state for the draperies and furnishings.

At the same time, Patrick said he would contribute $543 each month to the lease of the Cadillac DTS he uses for state business, bringing the cost to the public in line with the more modest Ford Crown Victoria used by Governor Mitt Romney.

Patrick, who just days ago defiantly defended his lease of the $46,000 luxury car, said he changed his mind after a weekend spent struggling with the state's dismal finances and the budget cuts he has asked his agency leaders to make to bridge a deficit of at least $1 billion.

"I realize I cannot in good conscience ask the agencies to make those choices without being willing to make them myself," Patrick said in a statement released late yesterday.

Aides declined to permit a Globe photographer to photograph the new furniture or the draperies, hung at the enormous windows overlooking Boston Common.

Patrick's reversal occurred after huddling with advisers about how to deal with a rising political and media storm, the first of his seven-week-old administration.

In his statement, Patrick said he replaced items that Romney had personally owned and taken with him when he left office. But Romney left behind drapes, a desk, and other furniture, according to Eric Fehrnstrom, a spokesman for the former governor. Kyle Sullivan, Patrick's press secretary, later said that the drapes left behind had fallen off the wall because of crumbling plaster.

The governor's aides declined to provide a breakdown of the costs of the furniture. An administration source who asked not to be named confirmed that the drapes cost $10,000.

Patrick's sudden change is a calculated shift to defuse the mounting criticism and ridicule he has been facing over the lease of the Cadillac. It occurred as many in the political world began to question his judgment, particularly his initial blithe dismissal of the criticism of his car lease. Some of his Democratic supporters were privately speculating that he was operating with a tin ear and with a staff that has little experience in shaping a governor's image or understanding the implications of seemingly insignificant decisions that can dominate the news.

His political opponents lost no time taking aim at his missteps.

"He's learning how important symbolism is," said House minority leader Bradley H. Jones Jr. , Republican of North Reading. "To be doing these things at the same time he's saying, 'My campaign made commitments I can't keep' -- like 1,000 police officers or property tax relief -- that doesn't sit well with the public. At a time of shared sacrifice, not sharing in the sacrifice personally is the wrong thing to do."

Jones, who praised Patrick for correcting his mistake, said public officials can lose sight of the power of symbols, particularly someone like Patrick who won by a convincing margin.

"You take on an aura of entitlement or invincibility or hubris," Jones said. "We all need to be mindful of that, each and every one of us."

Other critics of Patrick in the GOP were not so forgiving. Brian Dodge, executive director of the state Republican Party, called Patrick's decision to pay a portion of the car expense "a positive step."

"His reputation, however, is forever tarnished, especially as he continues to be chauffeured around the state in a luxury car with payments higher than most mortgages," Dodge said.

When he took over as governor last month, Patrick seemed initially sensitive to symbolism, seeking to emphasize that the State House belongs to the people, taking down a red-velvet rope that prevented the public from easily entering the governor's office, and reopening for public use an elevator that had been reserved for the governor.

The Cadillac lease proved his first major political misstep. According to one senior administration source, aides had told Patrick that after being elected as a populist, he should not lease a car that has long been associated with wealth and elitism. He had pledged during the campaign to convert the state car fleet to hybrids, but last week the governor said State Police wanted him to have a car with more power.

Last week, Patrick said he was leasing the Cadillac because Crown Victorias were no longer available. Later, aides acknowledged that was not the case and said the new Crown Victoria models did not meet security standards mandated by State Police. The aides declined to say what those standards were.

On Friday, as a political furor began to unfold, Patrick told reporters that he had "no regrets" about the $1,166-a-month car lease and even jokingly suggested that an Associated Press reporter take a ride in it.

His aides last week were also forced to defend the hiring of a $72,000 aide assigned to handle scheduling and interview requests for Patrick's wife, Diane, a lawyer at Ropes & Gray. No governor's spouse has had a staff member assigned as an assistant since Michael S. Dukakis hired an aide for his wife, Kitty.

Patrick's advisers, an administration source said, believed that the Cadillac lease, the hiring of an aide for his wife, and the inquiries about the new office furniture constituted a building public relations crisis that could have a lasting impression on his image.

Boston Globe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,098 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 02:12 pm
Deval Patrick is being systematically attacked by the conservatives (yes, there are a few left in Massachusetts). The most vicious attacks have come from the editors of The Boston Herald, a wrap-your-fish-in-it tabloid which goes out of its way to slam anything and everything that Democrats do. When a paper like that decides that a Governor's use of a State Police helicopter is somehow not only front page news but worthy of being the lead story, you know there's a campaign starting up. Patrick has said that the Cadillac limo wasn't even his idea but was suggested by a State Trooper on his security detail. It would surprise me very little to learn that the Trooper was making the suggestion to give the tabloids more fodder for criticism. What do you see as wrong in the Governor of a state riding in a Cadillac? I somehow doubt that he's the only Governor to do so.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:40 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Deval Patrick is being systematically attacked by the conservatives (yes, there are a few left in Massachusetts). The most vicious attacks have come from the editors of The Boston Herald, a wrap-your-fish-in-it tabloid which goes out of its way to slam anything and everything that Democrats do. When a paper like that decides that a Governor's use of a State Police helicopter is somehow not only front page news but worthy of being the lead story, you know there's a campaign starting up. Patrick has said that the Cadillac limo wasn't even his idea but was suggested by a State Trooper on his security detail. It would surprise me very little to learn that the Trooper was making the suggestion to give the tabloids more fodder for criticism. What do you see as wrong in the Governor of a state riding in a Cadillac? I somehow doubt that he's the only Governor to do so.

As I recall Jane Swift was attacked for a helicopter ride back in 2000 wasn't she? Was it also the conservatives that attacked her? As I recall it was the Boston Globe and Boston Phoenix that ran front page stories and called for her resignation after that. Yet Patrick should get different treatment even though he knew full well of the uproar it created just a few years ago? He not only used the State Police helicopters several times but his office has made public statements that the helicopters are there for his use at his whim. Where are the Democrats from this state that demanded Swift turn the matter over to the State Ethics Commission for investigation?? Suddenly they are all either very, very quiet or shrugging it off as a big nothing. Apparently it is fine to abuse your position of authority in this state as long as you are a Democrat.

The Caddy may not have been Patrick's idea but, he had full control over the decision and he's the person that ran as the "common working man" with promises to cut government waste. I won't even get into his original lame excuse that Ford doesn't make Crown Victoria's any more.

His entire campaign stressed his humble beginnings and how he hasn't forgotten his roots. What he shown for that since he's been in office? He hasn't done anything for the workers (or taxpayers) in this state and he apparently isn't paying attention to his own PR firms any more. What he has done is spend money on his own creature comforts.

Patrick can't fufill any of his campaign promises because the state is facing a $1 billion budget deficit (which he claims was hidden but had been published several times in every paper in the state well prior to the election) and so far all he's had time to do is spend $46K on a new car, $30K for new curtains for his office and then add the head of his fund-raising committee to the state payroll as a scheduler for his wife's appointements at $72K/year.

He's a typical Massachusetts hack politician.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 11:10 am
Quote:
He's a typical Massachusetts hack politician

He's finished before he's even started.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:49 pm
I don't know anything about Massachusetts politics, even though it borders my own state.

But if I was Deval Patrick right now, I would have a nice warm glow of security inside me.

When it gets to the point that your political enemies are looking at drapery receipts-drapery receipts!-it means they really are pulling their hair out trying to find something to get the public mad at you-with no chance of success.

I don't care how big a political junkie you are, there is no way drapery receipts can get anyone excited.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:58 pm
Not to take this too far, but has anyone done any remodelling lately?

$27,000 won't go very far.

Please remember that Patrick represents the State-oops, the Commonwealth-of Massachusetts, and it is to be expected that he'd spruce things up a bit. $27,000 might be a bit more than you would spend on your own personal office, but for a Governor's official office? Come on.

Now, if he spent it on his own personal office at home, that would be a different matter. But he didn't. This is his State House office, every time it gets a new occupant he has the right to customize it, and that's that.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 04:45 pm
You're right, keltic. His opponents must be getting desperate to find someting they can pin on him. The Cadillac fiasco and the helicopter brouhaha reminded me immediately of Speaker Pelosis's run-in with the rabid sector of the Rpeublicans over her use of a government plane for security reasons.

Sorry, fishin'. but this has nothing to do with Jane Swift or any other historical personage. It's all about the anti-Patrick campaign being desperately waged by the conservative wing of the state's GOP, hiding behind the supermarket-type tabloid, the Herald.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 05:57 pm
Every now and then I pick up the Herald around here-okay, I pick it up in the sense that if someone at the diner counter left it behind when they took off, I'll look at it. And on those rare occasions when I see it, I can't help but be struck by how much the Herald resembles the New York Post. Only with worse columnists, if that can be imagined.

They sure look like the same people put them both out. I think the Boston Herald is the farm team for the New York Post.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:12 pm
I would tend to think that a Governor of a state would have a Cadillac or a Lincoln for a limo. Those two cars have been recognized as the best luxury cars America makes. They have traditionally been used to denote first class.

If Romney preferred a simple Ford, it is probably because he came from great wealth and wanted to come on like "just folks". Every state has to have a certain amount of pomp and ceremony-otherwise you denote to the rest of the world that you don't take your state very seriously. Can you imagine a foreign dignitary coming to your state capital looking to do business and seeing bargain rate furniture in the office of it's chief executive, or a cheap limo?

If you value your state, you have to know how to put your best foot forward to the rest of the world.

I do not know if Patrick will end up being considered a good Governor or a disaster. But the criticism I see so far really seems trivial and made up.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:29 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Sorry, fishin'. but this has nothing to do with Jane Swift or any other historical personage. It's all about the anti-Patrick campaign being desperately waged by the conservative wing of the state's GOP, hiding behind the supermarket-type tabloid, the Herald.

If it were the state's GOP hiding behind the Herald then why was the office redocorating and the wife's personal scheduler stories broken by the Globe? Has the Boston Globe becoime a part of the "vast Right-wing coinspiracy" now too?

Sorry but I see things a little differently. Romney was attacked for cutting state services in order to balance the budget. Now Patrick tells his department heads to cut 5%-10% from each of their budgets while his own office runs around spending money on frivolities and his apologists run around with excuses about conservative smear campaigns?

You've been duped!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:01 am
kelticwizard wrote:

But if I was Deval Patrick right now, I would have a nice warm glow of security inside me.

It's because of his feelings of INSECURITY, that Deval Patrick went and bought the Caddy instead of the Crown Victoria. The State Police advised Patrick that the Caddy would provide greater SECURITY, to him than would a Crown Victoria.

So, who's the Governor afraid of?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:03 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Not to take this too far, but has anyone done any remodelling lately?

$27,000 won't go very far.

Please remember that Patrick represents the State-oops, the Commonwealth-of Massachusetts, and it is to be expected that he'd spruce things up a bit. $27,000 might be a bit more than you would spend on your own personal office, but for a Governor's official office? Come on.

Now, if he spent it on his own personal office at home, that would be a different matter. But he didn't. This is his State House office, every time it gets a new occupant he has the right to customize it, and that's that.

Yes, that's that and that my dear is my tax money!

As Deval ever heard of Bed and Bath ??

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:07 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Every now and then I pick up the Herald around here-okay, I pick it up in the sense that if someone at the diner counter left it behind when they took off, I'll look at it. And on those rare occasions when I see it, I can't help but be struck by how much the Herald resembles the New York Post. Only with worse columnists, if that can be imagined.

They sure look like the same people put them both out. I think the Boston Herald is the farm team for the New York Post.

You need to read the Boston Globe to see how far a paper can sink!
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:44 pm
Miller wrote:

Yes, that's that and that my dear is my tax money!

As Deval ever heard of Bed and Bath ??

Laughing Laughing

You seriously expect the Governor's office in the State House to be furnished with stuff from the mall?

When investors and other people who might have important matters for the state walk into the Governor's Office, they expect it to look like a Governor's Office. Some things are just basic.

And when an American public official is driven around in a limo, (and they do have a right to expect to be driven, you don't want the Governor late because he couldn't find a parking space), you expect to see a Cadillac or Lincoln. All the other Governors have them, and most CEO's, (unless they buy the foreign jobs which cost even more).

These "scandals" are manufacturered yawners.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:49 pm
Miller wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

You need to read the Boston Globe to see how far a paper can sink!

The Boston Globe, which is owned by the New York Times, is a fairly decent paper of record. I may not always agree with its editorials but at least they have the decency to keep those editorials on the editorial page. The tabloid Herald splashes the editor's opinions all over the "news" pages (where you'll find damned little news anyway) and if it's something anti-Dems or some similar manufactured scandal, they'll somehow manage to turn it into a front a front-page spread. Comparing the Globe to the Herald in a negative way shows appalling ignorance.

The people I know who customarily get the Herald in the morning usually admit to it almost shame-facedly, explaining that the tabloid size is just easier to handle on the subway or bus while commuting to work. They will usually admit that, newswise, it's not much of a newspaper.

BTW, on a personal note, I am a former reporter, editor and free-lance journalist. I have worked for the Quincy Patriot-Ledger, United Press International and did a short stint as a copy editor at the Globe. I have worked (back in the 60s and 70s) as bureau chief for the UPI operation in Concord, NH and Montpelier, VT and was subsequently assigned to the general news desk at UPI headquarters in New York City. This is merely by way of explaining that I can certainly tell the difference between an objective newspaper and a sensational rag best suited to lining a bird-cage.
0 Replies