I went out to run yesterday but came back in almost immediately. The wind
was incredible. So I did a little stationary bike time. But for a runner, that
just doesn't cut it.

Another frosty one today. I'll be getting my exercise clearing out my Mom's
apartment. But tomorrow...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 05:02 am
The good news is that they have taken the rain out of the forecast for Sunday.
(Talk about the power of an unbeliever's prayer!!!)
The bad news is that now I will have no good explanation for my lousy performance.

I was already writing in my head the description of all of us splooshing our way through the huge puddles - a vast parade of soaked chickens and wet dogs ---thereby giving the reason, not excuse, for the incredibly slow finish.

Now, I will have no choice but attempt to actually keep up with the others.
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2746/myviewoftheracebbdr0.jpg

Joe(and maybe come in before one or two of them)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:29 am
Good luck, Joe. Here's hoping you don't come in last. Have fun.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:20 am
Joe,
Sitting here reading and wishing I was as motivated as you. Tomorrow I'm running a 5K St Pat's Day fun run with a beer garden to follow. I'm going to continue reading on as you will motivate me to get off my butt and start training harder for this summer's sprint tri. It's the all women's breast cancer awareness event and will be my first tri.
Here's hoping it stays dry for your run! Cheers
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:51 pm
Joe~
Somewhere after mile seven it's gonna get rough.
Picture an old guy running along side you, wheezing in rhythm.
Imagine him saying "C'mon, this ain't pain. You;ve hurt worse than this and
brought it home." That'll be me. Go, Joe, go.
~George
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:12 pm
Marty: Swim, swim, swim, swim.... first time tri-ers report to me that they were ready for the bike and the running, but mis-judged just how much the water would whip them. A friend of mine used to swim laps at the YMCA, then change and dash outside to his bike. He said the first time he did it his head was still swimming for the first mile or so on the bike. Please tell us your training progress here and have fun tomorrow on the St. Pat's Five.

For those who are interested here's tomorrow's route:
Colon Cancer 15K pdf

The good thing is that the last mile and a quarter is almost all downhill.
I'm hoping there will be lots of old guys with me, George.

I've only got a month more before I graduate to the 60-64 age group and start running against the real foogies. Right now I have to beat those young 55 year olds.

Joe(where the hell are those rollerblades??)Nation
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:15 pm
Hey, Joe(Tomorow night I will sleep like a baby)Nation. I hope you do as well as you hope will do on Sunday. Kick up some dust in front of the younger folks in your age group.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:20 pm
Have fun and a good Time tomorrow...

ossobuco (you are our inspiration, is that too much of a load?) jo
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 07:04 am
It's a gorgeous, sunny, not-too-hot, not-too-cold day in the Big Apple.

GO JOE!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:01 am
Home is the harrier?

Now, let's have the well-written Saga of the Run.

Its a hard life being both hero and bard, but someone has to do it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:26 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
.... I've only got a month more before I graduate to the 60-64 age group and start running against the real foogies...

Watch it, Sonny!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:06 pm
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4691/15krunner3sf0.jpg
If there has ever been a perfect Sunday morning to run a couple of times around Central Park, this was it. Biting cold winds and overcast skies gave way to a glorious day with the sun cutting in and out of the clouds like a Maui surfer. The whole atmosphere was happy happy joy joy. There were two races today, a four mile starting at 9AM and the 15K beginning at 10:15. I think they started them later than usual so that the What-do-you-mean-it's-Daylight/Saving/Time?- crowd would have a chance to show up 'on-time'. I had the choice to do the four mile but I just felt I needed a little push right now. It was a good choice to do the 9.3 distance. (Some people did both races. .... hmmm.)

There were only a couple of thousand in the 15K making it really easy to find running room, on the same roads with five or so thousand there are a lot of elbows swinging and stepped on heels. I decided ahead of time that I was going to try to run as close to ten minute miles as I could. I can run faster (a little) but I haven't run nine miles in a while. I'm happy to report that, except for the nine mile split, I hit every single one. I ran like a clock, tick-tick-tick, with the Talking Heads in my head. I really enjoyed the last mile or so and I know I could have gone a lot further.
1:34:18 a 10:09 pace.
The thought did strike me that in order to do a marathon I'd have to do this race distance two more times. I have a long way to go I know.
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/1793/budsgj7.jpg
So it's really Spring or at least this week it is.
A couple of interesting things: one of the Sri Chimoy runners was with me part of the way. These are guys who do - get ready- races that are 3100 miles long. That's miles. I'm thinking about doing the marathon with these guys in September as a warm-up to November. I really am.
http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/5493/takethepicturedq8.jpg

I saw this sign and thought "That's why Frank has so much trouble getting lunch in the park.
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9098/feedingbirdsud7.jpg He qualifies as both wildlife and by being an old bird.
(I am so mean.)

and

I went to Strawberry Fields on the way to the subway home.

John Lennon was so right on so many things:

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans
and:
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/8514/imaginevu4.jpg

Joe(run as if there is no finish line)Nation
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:50 pm
Good job Joe! Seattle had rain and wind but it was 55 degrees. Oh, and the dummy that I am left my ID in the car and couldn't get into the beer garden. Oh well.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:09 am
Good race, Joe!

That's still a pretty big field. How long did it take to get over the starting
line? The start of a race is funny. First the the gun goes off, then there's
this sudden surge and immediate stop. Next you see a wave of bouncing
heads flowing back from the starting line. Then you actually start moving
and eventually get over the starting line. It can be a couple of minutes
from the starting gun to when you really get to start the race.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:30 pm
I always get the idea in my head that some really smart MIT student should observe the 'sudden surge and immediate stop' and 'wave of bouncing heads ' phenomonem and do a flow-study on how best to improve things.

It takes me and the rest of the folks in the 9 minute per mile group about three minutes or more to reach the starting pad, but NYRR distributes these little yellow chips which everyone attaches to one shoe which the computer reads as your individual start/finish, so the time clock Sunday showed about 1:37:20 as I crossed, but my actual time was less than that. It may not seem important to those who finish an HOUR ahead of me, but I like to know.

I wish I had carried my camera on this race, there were lot's of things to see. At about eight miles I was passed by a blind runner. Just when your courage starts to falter and you are a little irritated at the music selections being made by the shuffle mode on your player, a blind man tethered to a sighted runner by a little rope between their hands zooms by you and you are left with the feeling that you are going to have to work a lot harder at coming up with some worthwhile complaints.

It is fascinating to watch the pairs work together on the run. Mostly it is just a word or two or a slight tensioning of the tether that guides the non-seeing down the roadway. And it's the same roadway that the rest are eyeballing every inch of, looking for cracks and bumps and slick patches from last night's rain that these guys glide over, each step as confident as the last. And you want to gripe about the wind?

I saw this buff thirty-something with bobbed blond hair and very tight red shorts. Her tee-shirt read "Irunlikeagirl." At least, I think it said that, she wasn't in view very long .

There was a large contingent of Koreans making the circuit together, about thirty or so men and women, spread out in little knots of five or six, but all within 100 yards or so of each other. This race for them was a social affair and they were talking and laughing and telling tales on each other as they ran.

There was a guy wearing two sweatshirts, a wool hat and running shorts pulled up over some knee-length tights. Most of the rest of us were in tee-shirts and shorts. His sweatshirt stated that he was in training for the Half-Marathon in Long Branch, NJ which is at the end of April. He's ready now, I think, I stayed with or near him until about the six mile mark, then I think he got bored and just took off like a rocket.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to show you the last snow in New York City. Apparently, the dog people packed this stuff down until it is as hard as snow can be without actually being ice. Why? I don't know, but there is it is.
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/8126/lastsnoweo8.jpg

At the end of the race we gathered for bagels and apples and got a book on how to survive Colon Cancer (Pfizer puts it out.)

Just a reminder to all of you out there ------

G E T T E S T E D .

Joe(yes. you.)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:58 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
...Just a reminder to all of you out there ------

G E T T E S T E D .

Joe(yes. you.)Nation

OK, OK. It's been 5 years since my last C-scope, so I need to see the doc
again. Aiya.

4-miler for me today -- in shorts!

So, how do the old pins feel on the day after?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:18 pm
Quote:
So, how do the old pins feel today?

At the risk of attracting the attentions of various deities floating by, I feel great.

Joe(No hubris please, I just feel pretty okay, really.)Nation
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:37 pm
Good for you, Joe(I envy you)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:44 am
Two miles today with my coworker, Mike.
Two miles is Mike's limit. I didn't argue.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:28 pm
I took Monday off and then got late word that I had to cover the entire day for one of the manager's (his blood pressure was at 181/110.!) So I had to skip the Tuesday morning run.

I am going out tomorrow am come hell or high water.

Joe(might be high water ------rain predicted)Nation
0 Replies