Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:12 pm
Last week the lady Diane and meself went to a kitchen/cooking specialy store because i wanted egg scissors, I asked the sales person if they had some and she showed me 3 different ones so I asked her what was best/what would she buy and she responded "I wouldn't eat a soft boiled egg if I was starving to death. I immediately thought of our dear friend Osso who also would not eat a soft boiled egg if she was starving.
Curious I thought, the lady Diane and meself love both soft boiled and poached eggies. So, what's the story here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,837 • Replies: 27
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:42 pm
I wonder if you reduce their carbon footprint by only soft boiling them?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:43 pm
They call it repulsion..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:44 pm
cjhsa wrote:
another inane post by shicksa
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 12:50 pm
dyslexia wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
another inane post by shicksa

Actually, this is Al Gore and I've taken control of the Internet.

Please post your carbon footprint scores here.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 04:29 pm
@dyslexia,
I too would not prefer my eggs soft boiled. I prefer them with talc ( powder).
Seriously, I LOVE--one of my most intense loves-- FRIED eggs, sunny side up. But I know that soft boiled is a more healthful way of preparing them. I can live with that IF I have salt and whole wheat toast with it.
Now how do I post this inane contribution? What do I hit?: "reply"? "back to post?", "reply?" I'll try "reply to dyslexia"--and see what happens. Hmmm, nothing happened. Now I'll try "Reply." Nothing. Let's go up to "soft boiled eggies. No. Now I'll hit "back to post"?
Nothing. Come on folks; give a downing man a hand. What do YOU do to post your stuff?
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 04:53 pm
@dyslexia,
Personally, I'm ambivalent in regard to soft boiled eggs. I don't find anything wrong with them as far as the actual taste. It's the messiness bothers me and I always hard-boil my eggs. My mother preferred them soft-cooked. She'd time them precisely, first bringing the water to a boil, then slipping in the eggs and then standing there watching the second hand on the clock or watch (she never used one of those sand-glass egg timers). She'd serve them intact (with shell on) in little egg-cups that looked like shot glasses. You'd break the top of the shell and eat them with a teaspoon. What a lot of bother. I put my eggs in a panful of cold tap water, bring water to a boil, shut off the fire, and let the eggs set in the pan while I set the table. That's time enough to cook 'em nice and hard. Take them out with a slotted spoon and dunk them into a container of cold water, both to stop the cooking process and to cool off the shells so they can be handled without blistering your fingertips. Simple. De-shell, cut in half lengthwise and sprinkle a little ground cayenne on the firm yellow yolk to give it that deviled egg look. Serve with some very crisp bacon and a tomato cut into quarters. A little German potato salad goes well with that also.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:28 pm
@dyslexia,
There are people who don't like soft boiled eggs? Gosh.
I love them! A couple of soft boiled eggs with some freshly ground pepper & a wee sprinkle of salt, eaten with a couple of pieces of buttered toasted bread = heaven!
I also love poached eggs. One of my favourite cafe breakfasts, generally served with spinach or mushrooms, with buttered toast. Yum. (Though I always ask them to leave that rich, gooey sauce they serve with it be left on the side, rather than smothering the lot. Just too overwhelming for my taste.)

There are eggs sissors? Really? I have never heard of them before. So you remove the top of the egg by gently cutting around the tip of the egg? What will they think of next!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:37 pm
I love soft boiled eggs, but usually hard boil them. This means I can go about my business while they merrily boil. Hard boiled peel easier too.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
egg scissors

Used to remove the top of soft-cooked eggs, this circular gadget has a scissors-style handle. It's positioned over the top of the egg and, when the handle is operated, a ring of "teeth" or a ringed blade clips off the top third of the eggshell.news to me too, msolga

I like soft boiled eggs but I prefer them poached or over easy (or scrambled, hard boiled, shirred, in an omelette or soufle, or just about any other way imaginable except raw).
djjd62

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:47 pm
@JPB,
i'm with JPB on this i'd prefer a poached egg over a soft boiled or over easy

but i'll eat a soft boiled egg with no problem
eoe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:48 pm
As a kid, when I was sick my mother would make soft-boiled eggs and toast for me. Needless to say, I have a tender spot in my heart for soft-boiled eggs.
msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:48 pm
@JPB,
Thanks, JPB. I must get me one of those! I like the idea of making the soft boiled egg experience even more of a special ritual. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:52 pm
@eoe,
Yes, they are a terrific comfort food, eoe. I know what you mean. I have a cold at the moment & yesterday, after a bit of running around in the morning had made me rather tired, I came home & cooked my first soft boiled eggs in ages. Perfect! (This thread is very timely! Smile )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:10 pm
@JLNobody,
fried then poached on a buttered toast, with ham on te side. Soft boiled eggs on the range. I can see the dyslexic one with his egg timer, egg cups, and scissors by the fire.
What yew makin there slim?

Soff bawl aigs ya big galoot.

Jess ayskin, ya dont haf ta git all ownry.

Pass me the tabasco an a biskit mayum, be muchablige.

Pore me a lila that cawfee.

DAyum, that theres some goood eatin yessir.Specially in them Limoge egg cups.
djjd62

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:14 pm
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/396331686_4e4c894d9e.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:15 pm
@farmerman,
stifling a <snort>

I eats em, not so fancy as all that...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
Laughing

You're very funny - for a farmer.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:10 pm
Well, this thread hasn't been a total loss. Now I, too, know what egg scissors are. Thanks for asking, msolga. I didn't dare.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:14 pm
@djjd62,
I think poached eggs are the ultimate test of a breakfast resto. Mmmmm, poached eggs.
0 Replies