Preferred Vacation -- Fun-Packed or Laid-Back?

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:41 am
Terrorize? Hmm....I don't think so....it's almost as good as San Fran here mate...besides which, we know guides to lead you about, a perfect trip Very Happy I posted this elsewhere, but the weekly 'Best Chest' contest at Woody's is verrry popular...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:56 am
It was funny to read that my UK vacation planning started you thinking of this thread. I do want my vacations to be fun - I can be laid-back at home - but I also don't want to over-schedule. I know the planning of this latest trip sounds jam-packed, but in the end we will have lots of open time. The sky was the limit while I considered all the places we could go.

I think vacations require structure -- hotel rooms are lots less expensive if you reserve over the internet and airlines demand that you be at a certain spot and certain time in order to get reasonable fares. I get nervous when I have to agree to be at an airport at 3:15pm on a Thursday, months from now, as I did last night. Luckily, Mr. P pointed out that we don't have to show up for our return flight. <what a concept> It was still less costly to buy a round-trip than a one-way fare. Yes, it took hours to figure that out, but I'd rather spend those hours now than during the vacation.

As Margo says, if you get sick or the weather change it can be disastrous so you've got to be flexible. On the other hand, I have wasted good vacation-time dithering about where to go & what to do (this gets worse if there are more than two people traveling).

Spontaneity can also be expensive -- we once spent a truly ridiculous amount ($1000) on a six-day car rental getting the LAST car in Malaga. This, after a unpleasant and desperate search, first in London and later in Spain. THAT was the antithesis of Laid-Back. Luckily the rest of the vacation was much nicer and we didn't realize we'd spent quite that much until after we'd come home. <sigh>
0 Replies