Preferred Vacation -- Fun-Packed or Laid-Back?

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 10:35 am
I was just reading Piffka's thread about going to the UK. (Looks great, and great thread!) I was struck by her comments about making it fun-packed.

I'm allergic to scheduled vacations. I like freeeeeeeeedom. Razz I lived in England for a while and then planned to travel in Europe afterwards. The idea was that E.G. and I could meet up at the end of that, and then travel together. He had lived in Paris a few years previously, knew it well, and preferred to see parts of Europe he hadn't yet been to, so we decided that I would see Paris by myself, he would then join me, and we'd both take the train to someplace in Portugal. (We'd originally planned on the Orient Express to Turkey, but was too much time and $$.)

So, we were standing in line at the train station, going over our jam-packe schedule ("OK, we'll get there at 5 PM, and then if we walk fast I'm pretty sure we'll be able to reach _____ before it closes...."), and looked at each other, and said this is so much trouble, why not just stay in Paris? I mean, PARIS! So we flounced out of that train station and had a lovely relaxed week or so in Paris doing whatever we dang well pleased, which often consisted of nothing in particular.

What kind of vacation do you like?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,970 • Replies: 21
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 11:49 am
One of the most "satisfying" vacations I've had was to travel Europe by myself by using a Eurail pass. Played it by air, and chose destinations to places I haven't visited. One of my favorite was to visit Barcelona for four nights out of the 15 days I spent in Europe. I love that city! c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 04:36 pm
Soz

I'm also opposed to jam-packed vacations. What if someone tells you about something great, that you hadn't even known about, and you can't get there because you have to be in some other place! Bah!

On our 2001 travels in Europe, I got sick, but I couldn't stop for one day to catch my breath (or even try breathing - becoming a bit of a novelty) because our schedule for this part of the trip was so tightly organised - different place every night, hard travelling, several scheduled stops. Later in the trip, in the part that I'd organised, staying a couple of days in the same place, my travelmate got sick. Guess what - he just went to bed for a day or so! Such luxury!

I think one of the great things of travel is the unexpectedness - coming across something you didn't know about and want to see more of! Any time I've been on an organised trip I find that there are things I'm dying to do, but can't possibly.

Last month, in Sweden, staying with friends, and fitting in with their agendas, we scheduled a day for outdoor stuff and a day for museums. Well, of course, the outdoor day was just miserable, so cold and wet and horrible that, no matter how good our wet weather gear, the day was a washout. Next day - for museums, was just lovely - be we were inside. No scope at all for spontaneity. Sad
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 04:44 pm
For me it all depends. Now that I'm in the rat race working 8-5 with daily overtime I am taking a relaxed vacation. Were I not so exhausted I'd want a wild and wicked one.

I feel old. :-(
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 04:44 pm
yes spontaneity is important.

I like a mixture of galleries, interesting places and towns with lazy days mooching and exploring in the country or on the beach and no set agenda.

We have a list of places we'd like to see - but if other interesting things come up and we don't see some of them, it doesn't matter. Rushing around trying to tick off everything on the list is exhausting and spoils the fun.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 10:02 pm
Sponaneity rules! (Though it's hard to spell.)

Wild and wicked is easier to accomplish without a schedule, in my experience.

Margo, you've laid out PRECISELY my problem with scheduling. And I adore the unexpected. One of the places that I most enjoyed in Paris was the Mosque De Paris (?), which we gained entrance to because I happened to run into a deaf Parisian who was a worshipper there, and insisted on bringing us in even though it was normally closed to tourists. (ASL is derived from French Sign Language as American English is derived from British English, so we understood each other's signs just fine even though we were mouthing different languages.) (Had never met him before, just a friendly deaf Parisian who was happy to meet a deaf American.) At any rate, it was a wonderful, wonderful experience, that never COULD have been planned on. ("Wander streets of Paris. Run into a deaf native. Hope he is Muslim and has some free time.")

Vivien, nice mixture. Mooching lazily is my cup of tea. Very Happy
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 11:24 pm
Run me through this 'vacation' concept again. It seems to involve an extended break from work, but that (at least to me) is not possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:26 am
My last serious vacation wasn't...in that I had an agenda for photo'g stuff in twelve cities, so, never mind. But ordinarily I am Lazybonessa. I like for some stupid reason to get up early on vacation, as opposed to in real life, and to go walking all about, with many stops. First a nice cappuccino and dolci at a closeby pasticceria, and then a walk to See It, and after Seeing It, another cappuccino and sweet. Then walk to Whatsit, and go in, wander about, picking one or two paintings or chapels or ferns to look at, and then strolling out to find the most intriguing immediate restaurant, where we pull up short and stay long, preferably with good food and lots to look at. After lunch we walk some more, in a desultory fashion, perhaps for miles and miles or just one mile. Um, isn't it time for an apperitivo? More caffe sitting. Oh, look the shops are reopening...let's look at the ceramics...or the via xxxx....or the river. Or get an espresso and one cioccolatino. So let's walk back to the hotel...by now three miles...and we do...and (whatever) and we ramble on out later in the evening for not the best restaurant in town but again, the nearest likely one...and it is wonderful, warm, friendly, wonderful food, and the host brings us the house vin santo after we have paid the check...
and we walk some more.

Since the vacation is not fully packed then sometimes we do different things during our days in different places...we don't have to be one person on vacation or otherwise.

Ah, but always, the good evening at the ristorante, with a light dinner, a glass of light, then walk back up the hill.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:50 am
My dear Mr Still

We do have vacations in Australia, but here we call them holidays - and employees get a minimum of 4 weeks of them each year, that is - time away from work, for which you are paid (sometimes even with a holiday loading).

Now, there is no compulsion (or not much) to take them, so dedicated persons such as yourself are able to continue working, if the thought of being away from your beloved library is just too-too much. In that case, however, those holidays you are not using should be given to someone like me, who is very good at holidays / vacations/ recreation leave / annual leave / what the hell!

I've just come back from this year's break, 4 weeks tormenting the Swedes and others, and I'm ready to go again, RIGHT NOW!!! Cough up your leave entitlement!
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:55 am
I'm with you sister!

Vacations to me are relaxing non structured affairs.

Spontaneity rules, and did I mention relaxing?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 01:00 am
Yea, I left my university with a whole lot of sick leave and holiday time, and.. . for what. Well, I think I got some money out of it, hard to remember.
Still, things would have been even more (troubled) had I left more often, in my opinion, and apparently others'.

Four weeks, oh, thud....thud, and some more thuds...

Note, later - right this minute this post seems out of context. Or...the earlier one was.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 02:53 am
I get 5 weeks of vacation - 3 of which are spent in India visiting family !!

But my idea of vacation is to chill out. I lead a very hectic life anyways, vacation for me is time for me to switch off completely, do whatever I want to, read, meet friends, and if mood strikes me check out the night life in places I am holidaying in.

One of my favorite vacation spots is Geneva. The city is do dang boring that nothing ever happens there. Perfect - there are no temptations so I can really relax !! When I was in the business, working 80 hrs a week - I used to take a weekend off 0 fly down to Geneva, hire a yatch in the middle of the lake and not come ashore for tw days - just lie down, drink, read and check out all the tourists who take the lake cruises.....

Puuuuuuuuurrrrrfect !!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 03:16 pm
Must look into this Geneva thing - you're right - the city is dead boring!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 03:22 pm
The best vacations are always the ones someone else is paying for.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:49 am
I agree cav - wanna pay for mine then ? Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:00 am
Gautam and margo, Do you know that pizza place across the street from the train station? I ate there. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:14 am
Gautam, tell you what....pay off my debts, and I'll pay for your vacation. I am certain you have heard of 'revolving credit' Laughing If you come for a weekend, I'll spring for a day pass on the TTC Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:16 am
Not to mention...I have the latest copy of Toronto Life, cover story being 'Out in Toronto', a guide to the hot spots for those who are 'out'....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:24 am
Laughing Why do u wanna terrorize the gay population of Canada by having me over there ????
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:25 am
Man, I don't know, it's been such a long time. But years back, when I still had lots of room on the credit cards and never held a job for more than a few months, long unstructured vacations were the rule. Spent six weeks in Europe with the gf one summer. All we did was pick up a car. Took a notion to go to Portugal, and did. Changed our minds, doubled back and went to the Italian Riviera to camp and float in the water for a while, did that. Figgered we'd go up to Copenhagen and Amsterdam via Switzerland, did that. Plenty of business, but also plenty of lazing around campgrounds in between roasting those great French and Italian peppers.

Had done the same thing years before, only mostly solo and on trains, with only a flight from Athens to London and a flight back to San Francisco from there to keep me on task. Loved that, too. Drifting through, leaving a town on whatever day I felt like leaving, stopping at places that looked interesting, hiking through the landscape to check things out (though I did learn that dogs in rural Greece aren't always very friendly)...

Rambling, missing being able to vacation, so, short answer: unstructured, laid back, but not necessarily lazy...
0 Replies