trivial A2K issues that don't warrant a new topic

Monger

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:13 am
I'll prolly post here every now & again...

1) http://www.able2know.com/forums/faq.php#1 says: "Why do I need to register at all? You may not have to, some forums on this site do not require you to register to post messages. However registration will give you access to additional features not available to guest users such as definable avatar images, private messaging, emailing of fellow users, usergroup subscription, etc. It only takes a few moments to register and it's free so give it a try."

I may be wrong 'bout this, but I'm under the impression that guest users are no longer capable of posting anywhere. I's too lazy right now to try it out fer meself, though. At any rate, "emailing of fellow users" is, I believe, not capable even for user who are logged in. Maybe I's a bit mixed up though.

2) In the portal if you do a directory (DMOZ) search it indeed runs the query, but jumps you all the way back up to the top of the page which is a tiny tiny hassle & may make some people think no results were found. Jumping to a named anchor on the page right above the DMOZ search would, IMO, be a bit better effect.

....like i said everything here be utterly trivial. Me's just pointing these things out here on the off chance that I'm the first one to notice them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,044 • Replies: 75
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 02:39 pm
Monger, spot on. At the time I wrote that into the FAQ I was allowing guest posting on the English and forum help boards, I'd erased most references to guest posting but left that.

The email capability is also one I need to fix.

And yeah, I've long hated how I'm doing the dmoz.

Ok, thing is, I have 5 days off now and plan to overhaul the site in this time. So after the new version is released get bacj to me on anything I left out or messed up on.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:36 am
trivial point #3... your fluencynow site still returns nothing but the following error:

Quote:
Our host has suspended Able2Know due to excessive traffic. I am currently moving this site to a new host. Please bear with me. This should take a few days.

CdK
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:57 am
Are reports of A2K returning General Errors of any use to you? I's posting this here because I don't think they are. 'Twas prolly just a temporary glitch, but anyway for the first time today I saw...
Quote:
General Error
Could not insert search results

Was from the New Posts page. I can provide the source code if you're interested.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:43 am
The source won't help as it's just generated html and is created after the error occurs on the server end. What I need to do is turn on debugging and get the error numbers.

I think it was transitive but I need to keep tabs on this. This is one of the most active phpbb boards that exist and many search related issues arise with heavily trafficked boards. Some basic features start to strain...
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:41 pm
Yeah I only offered the source 'cuz you were saying something about how it could be needed to examine some other problem (of course, that one was a graphical glitch though). 'Twas just wondering if maybe phpbb was intentionally writing further error codes for reference into the HTML source itself. Anyway, yeah, I guess if you're turnning on debugging there won't be a need to report this kinda thing in the futurem, yeah?

Are you suspending fluencynow?

PS: you have the only good 404 page I's ever seen. Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 12:44 pm
lol, the 404 page was fun.

Even if I turn debugging on I'd need to know the error, in case it was transitive or if I can't replicate it.

um, fluencynow I'll either sell or move. I've just been lazy.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:14 am
Another most likely transitive glitch...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQAAABoYm8lpHGeVXMcd*TIxEDKNZYslc6yAGpw*WOvbWMzUuTp4GLeM1jKzM5WjcUSDa*XS5d*38vskioCS2W44*6F5Yf7f7!eip*XbyyAo8DknrftT*A/pagination.gif?dc=4675431087907732441

no pagination problems with this thread now, from what I can tell
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:52 am
I know a2k 2 is removing heaps of links, which is why I'm posting in this thread....... On the who's online page, even positions like 'Viewing profile' or 'Posting a message' are linked.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 01:10 am
Well that page is not accessible to guests so it shouldn't affect page rank drain. I might improve this by making the linsk to who's online also hidden to guests.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 03:59 am
I luv your new rotating avatar & sig php's! vera cool..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:06 am
Thanks, it uses php and GD to generate images. One script inserts text into an array from the image and the other redirects to a random avatar.

Lemme know if you want 'em and I'll set it up for ya (so that you can change them etc).
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:06 am
Vell zaat wud be weekid! Cheers mate! I should prolly go learn PHP meself sometime..

Any chance of getting a copy of the 2 scripts? I's tryin' to set up me own site now, & I's gonna be wanting to do cool stuff like that on it. Might even end up setting up a phpbb-based forum, though I'd keep it MUCH more limited in scope than this one..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:29 am
Ok, I uploaded the scripts to your folder in waggery. You can get them there.

The sig script is pretty straightforward. Just replace the quotes in the array and hotlink to the sig file.

I included two images to create the sig from. One is the transparent gif I use and the other is from a buddy on another site (png).

If you change the file format you will need to change this line: $im = ImageCreateFromGIF("randquote.gif");

That's pretty simple.

As to the avatar script since A2K doesn't allow hotlinked avatars and does not allow you to upload php files (for damn good reason) I'll have to enter the database and change your avatar value to the php script.

Lemme know when you have your avatar gallery and script ready and I'll make the change.

Just remember to keep all the avatars within the criteria (or at least close). Since I'll need to place the php script within a protected avatar directory you might want to just define the avatar array as "image1.gif, image2.gif...".

That way once i set up the script in the avatar directory yiu can still change the images by overwriting the avatar images in your avatar gallery.

Lemme know how it goes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:37 am
BTW, if you want to use it off of this server make sure you have BOTH php and GD installed on the server. GD handles the dynamic work with images.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:07 pm
Got it.

Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
Oh, it's random! I thought Craven was just really, really indecisive today. Razz
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:57 pm
Hey Craven. I put the quote thingy up yesterday. I set up avatar.php for a collection of 10..should be plenty for me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:21 am
Ok, next time I'm messing with the database I'll set up the avatar thingie.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:12 am
Monger,

I did your avatar thing. You'd left off a quotation mark on image 8 and it was causing errors.

Please note that the file in the waggery directory is not the one being called by the forum. I moved a copy to the avatar directory.

So changes made to the script won't change the avatar you display here.

But you can change the avatars in the avatar directory you ahve set up.
0 Replies