Montana

Sat 5 Jul, 2003 09:38 pm
Welcome to A2K mistyrain :-)

I hear ya! I feel the same way ;-)
0 Replies

margo

Sun 6 Jul, 2003 01:04 am
Hi, mistyrain, and welcome to A2K. Great avatar. Cool

Tell us what's so good about your vacations at home?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:47 am
mistyrain, WELCOME to A2K. Please share with us your "vacations at home." c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:30 pm
I tell ya, I loved British Columbia! The entire trip North from Seattle was awsome. But, Vancouver knocked my sox off and the landscape continued to drop my jaw as far as we went (whistler). I took 'drivinbg' pix and hope they come out well enough to share. Anyway, this side of the country has snow capped mountains nearly abutting the Pacific ocean. There are clefts in the mountains that sink well into the sea. It's colder than a trip south but the traffic coming back to Portland was LIGHT!
0 Replies

koolplay

Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:36 am
new here from Shanghai China.
no doubt that my choice belongs to seaside.
oh it's my dreaming vacation place.
i was born in Shanghai which is a city of economics and trade,so i have little chance to see the mountain, the seaside.
but i think my dream will come true.
0 Replies

hamburger

Sat 9 Aug, 2003 03:31 pm
hi, koolplay ! came from the other side of the world (hamburg/germany) to the shores of lake ontario/canada 47 years ago. so i traded living next to the elbe-river and close to the north-sea for living close to lake ontario(5minute drive or 15 minute walk). not a bad trade i think. while we spend most of the summertime in our garden we love going down to the lakefront in the evening to catch the cool breeze, and if it's friday evening we can also listen to the COOL jazz of live big band jazz. now that's what i call living. welcome to able2know, koolplay; hope you'll enjoy the IDEA-EXCHANGE. hamburger
0 Replies

Ivan9714

Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:02 pm
Hello, guys~~~
What you described is really beautiful, but not everyone could have that ease, you are lucky enough to have all these!
Though I am looking forward to visiting the forest, sitting at the lake and listening to jazz at night as well, yet I think I still belong to city, I can't get rid of the charm of city. I like the pace of living in metropolis and being busy.
It's so nice to meet you, hamburger~~!
0 Replies

koolplay

Sun 10 Aug, 2003 01:28 am
both ivan and i are urban citizen.what encircles us is just the magnificent and majestic architecture such as the oriental TV tower,
the Jinmao mansion which represent the height of Shanghai city.
so what you have said is just in our dreams.so i am a guy of addicting daydreams.(kidding!)
but hamburger,i love your life style,life surroundings.let's share,ok?
0 Replies

tisashwani

Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:42 pm
@fbaezer,
I would prefer a tour packages that includes site view, beach travel and some historical visit all together in a same package. I think that will be a best option where you will not get bored of of seeing same thing all around your tour. There are some tour organizers like http://www.holidayclick.co.uk/ that offers cheap tour packages for spain, egypt, cuba, turkey and many other destinations in the world.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 8 Oct, 2009 12:22 am
@fbaezer,
Cities are the perfect cultural destinations. Those vacations have been my favorite.
0 Replies

saab

Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:27 am
I like cities, but in the fall, spring and also during the winter. I like to take the train and enjoying watching the landscape.
Mountains are wonderful to go through, but not for me as a vacation. I have lived in Switzerland and loved to be around the lakes, but not on top on anything high.
We have a summercabin by the ocean. We like to work there and when we feel like it we walk the 32 steps down to the water to take a dip and swim and then back to the property. We never spend any time on the beach. When it is stormy I like to watch the surfers.
We have no TV so we spend the evenings reading - luckily we have a good library not far away.
We like to see our friends come to visit, whatever a short visit or as overnight guests.
This vacation we washed and oiled the house and painted all windows and doors.
When it started to rain I prepared all in the windows indoors for being painted next summer.
A cruise would drive me crazy - far too much food and being entertained all the time is not my cup of tea, nor a short visit on land now and then.
farmerman

Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:14 pm
@saab,
Juwt cam back from a 9 day sail up into the roaring 75's. We were trailing whales and island hopping through the Gulf of Maine. It was a spur of the moment thing and when we were invited it took about 0.5 nanoseconds to decide.
A "sail" is hard work and lotsa up an down the shinny poles and watching out to windward.(Always stay laqshed in rough seas)
BUT, enjoyed it mighty fine.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:46 pm
@farmerman,
Did you bring me a fish, Farmerman?

BBB
farmerman

Mon 20 Sep, 2010 02:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Ill get a couple of mackerel in the mail to you BBB.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 20 Sep, 2010 02:26 pm
@farmerman,
Ah, I was hoping it would be salmon. Can't you go back and get me a beautiful big one?

BBB

farmerman

Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:00 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
mackerel or snagglefish, all served with a boun masseur sauce, potrage au frammelaize and SPAM
saab

Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:33 am
@farmerman,
Used to go fishing with my father. lots of mackarels. We smoked some and others we "gravade" the same way as gravad salmon. Others we just fried.
My favourite fish as a kid was garfish - correct translation? - the bones get green when boiled. Very easy to eat then.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Tue 21 Sep, 2010 09:22 am
@farmerman,
Oooooh! Slerp.

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 03:11 pm
@fbaezer,
I like all three - and I don't get bored at the beach because you can be so active there - swimming, jet ski, snorkeling, and any water activity.

I like traveling to other countries including the countryside and the big cities for similar reasons you state.

And I like going camping - the quiet woods, fishing, hiking, etc.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 05:50 pm
@saab,
Wow, garfish are considered a great Trash Fish here in the southern states. They can be nasty dwellers in drainage ditches and swamps. The alligator gar can grow to be 6 or 7 ft and they sport nasty little teeth on this garial like mouth. Sometimes they get so big in drainage ditches that they cant turn around.

I never had gravmackerel but I guess theyd have a similar flavor of the salt and dill thaqt wed make in grvlox. (We add sugar too , is that a normal mix? (salt, dill, sugar and pepper)