Waiting to board the boat

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 11:52 am
We’re in a sitting room with large windows looking on the river with the boat and bridge in the background. There seems to be over 100 people waiting. Our stateroom is 225 with no balcony, but I doubt we’ll be spending much time in our stateroom. Looks like we’re the only minority. More later.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,563 • Replies: 14
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 11:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
I hope you both have a wonderful time.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 01:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Bon voyage!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 01:12 pm
Do they need a gager? I would work for free, plus airfare.
laughoutlood

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 02:10 pm

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 03:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
So, can you handle the Uber from the airport to the boat?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 04:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How deep is the road?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 11:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is our second day, and we visited Astoria where Lewis and Clark spent the winter of 1805-1806 at Fort Clapsop. The fort is a reconstruction, but it still feels like the original in a Disneyland sort of way. I purchased a Lewis and Clark t-shirt to wear on our trip to Hawaii with my wife, sister and her husband next month. Our bus drove through Astoria with its many Victorian homes, some of which are declared historic landmarks. Some were owned by wealthy salmon fishing and cannery owners until they were moved up to Alaska. We visited the Columbia River Museum where they have some of the artifacts from the period. Some of us were dropped off in town to walk back and/or to do some shopping. We were back in time for lunch. We visit Mt St Helens tomorrow.

maporsche

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 10:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
(
cicerone imposter wrote:
This is our second day, and we visited Astoria where Lewis and Clark spent the winter of 1805-1806 at Fort Clapsop. The fort is a reconstruction, but it still feels like the original in a Disneyland sort of way. I purchased a Lewis and Clark t-shirt to wear on our trip to Hawaii with my wife, sister and her husband next month. Our bus drove through Astoria with its many Victorian homes, some of which are declared historic landmarks. Some were owned by wealthy salmon fishing and cannery owners until they were moved up to Alaska. We visited the Columbia River Museum where they have some of the artifacts from the period. Some of us were dropped off in town to walk back and/or to do some shopping. We were back in time for lunch. We visit Mt St Helens tomorrow.

I grew up there. Well technically on the Washington side of the Astoria bridge, but live there from 1990 to 1999
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 02:05 pm
@maporsche,
You were lucky. The landscape is some of the most beautiful in the country.
maporsche

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 02:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You were lucky. The landscape is some of the most beautiful in the country.

Well, I realize that now, but you may not be surprised to know that for an 18 year old kid, it doesn't quite have everything to offer.

But when I visit my mom now a days I can appreciate the area.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 09:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Our journey began in Portland for one night, then proceeded to the westernmost point at the mouth of the Columbia River where the Lewis and Clark expedition spent the winters of 1808 and 1809 at the Clapsop trading post. A replica of the fort was reconstructed to look like the original. Will continue tomorrow.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 11:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
Astoria has been called "Little San Francisco of the Pacific Northwest." It has a quaint downtown area that is established with retail shops and restaurants. Our first night was spent at the Red Lion Inn Jantzen Beach by the river not far from the boat. The Queen of the West is a paddlewheel riverboat that can accommodate about 150 passengers. It is decorated in the Old West style, and our stateroom was large enough for the two of us since we spent very little time in it. The passengers were from all over the US, and we met people from Florida. The cost for our stateroom was $4,270 per person plus port charges and fees of $500 for a total of $9,120 which translate to about $500 per person per day. Included in the price were many complimentary shore tours, three gourmet meals a day, and we did not have to add gratuity. We started in Portland, cruised west to Astoria, then turned back east to visit Mt St Helens *Day 3 (most of us remember the 1980 eruption that scorched 230 square miles of forest land, Multnomah Falls (our second visit), Stevenson *Day 4, The Dalles *Day 5, Umatilla, Pendleton *Day 6 (we paid $80 pp for the factory & shops visit), Richland, and Clarkston *Day 7. At the end of the cruise, we were bussed to Lewiston, then a flight to Spokane and Seattle, before our final flight to San Jose (home). All in all, I was pleased with the whole experience.
A correction: The Lewis and Clark spent the winters of 1805-1806 (not 1808-1809), and Astoria was the first settlement west of the Rockies. I'll add some photos after I learn how to transfer it from my iPhone and camera.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Queen-of-the-West-829
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 12:51 pm
I appreciate these great posts, CI. Places I will never see otherwise or often even know about.
0 Replies