How long was your mother in labor with you?

wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 12:43 pm
doglover wrote:
She went into labor at about 11 p.m. Friday night and I was born at 4 p.m. on Saturday...she had an 18 hour labor! Shocked

That is very similar to what my mother told me about my birth. I was born at 4 p.m. on New Year's Day and she said she left a New Year's Eve party because of the labor.

What a shock it must be if children tell their mothers that they want to be "born again". Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 01:07 pm
wandeljw wrote:
doglover wrote:
She went into labor at about 11 p.m. Friday night and I was born at 4 p.m. on Saturday...she had an 18 hour labor! Shocked

That is very similar to what my mother told me about my birth. I was born at 4 p.m. on New Year's Day and she said she left a New Year's Eve party because of the labor.

What a shock it must be if children tell their mothers that they want to be "born again". Smile

I'm a New Year's baby too! Although my mom wasn't at a party.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 01:08 pm
I apparently attempted to arrive on New Year's Day too, jw. My mother went to the hospital in labor but they sent her home and told her to come back when her labor pains got closer together. I was born two weeks later.

Once the ball got rolling though, I don't think it took too long.

My own deliveries were about 10 hours each. The first was a 6 lb 5 oz peanut, the second one an even 8.0 lbs. Pretty much an easy time of it both times, at least in terms of what others went through.

As to GW's mother's comment, I used to hear the same line in a Bill Cosby routine. It's a joke.

soz, you deserve a prize!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 01:20 pm
I got one! (7 pounds 8 [?] oz when she was born, 50 pounds now...)

I just recently met someone who beat my record by some crazy amount -- 78-hour labor, or something. Yikes! (She also has an only child.)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 02:00 pm
Just reading these accounts gives me the fantods.
If men gave birth, the phrase "second child" would not exist.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 03:11 am
[quote="Green Witch"]Relax Bohne, it's done with love and humor. Her son doesn't fully get it, but he laughs knowing his mother is going over the top. We tease her that he will have his revenge when she's old and in a nursing home, and he won't help her tweeze her chin hairs.[/quote]

I don't care if it's meant to be a joke!
With stuff like that I do not joke, sorry.

I'm more a 'mean what you say, and say what you mean' kind of person!

Boring as it might be...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:44 am
Bohne wrote:
[quote="Green Witch"]Relax Bohne, it's done with love and humor. Her son doesn't fully get it, but he laughs knowing his mother is going over the top. We tease her that he will have his revenge when she's old and in a nursing home, and he won't help her tweeze her chin hairs.

Boring as it might be...[/color][/quote]

I guess you're a real hit at parties. Oh, wait you're German- I get it. Carry on. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:08 am
Once I asked my mother about length-of-labor.

Her response was that male authors like Ernest Hemminway didn't know what they were talking about that they were responsible for as much misinformation about childbirth as the Old Wives of all cultures combined.

I was in labor with my first son for about seven hours--and at least three of those hours I was focused on getting my m-i-l out of the labor room. The First Mr. Noddy didn't want to hurt her feelings.

With my second son I was pruning bushes when my pangs came upon me. This was about 9 a.m. I started trying to wake the First Mr. Noddy so he could drive me to the hospital. At 1 p.m., after I threatened to call a neighbor for transportation, he stumbled out of bed. I got to the hospital at 1:45, in time to be prepped. He was born at 3 p.m.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:38 am
Green Witch wrote:
Bohne wrote:
[quote="Green Witch"]Relax Bohne, it's done with love and humor. Her son doesn't fully get it, but he laughs knowing his mother is going over the top. We tease her that he will have his revenge when she's old and in a nursing home, and he won't help her tweeze her chin hairs.

Boring as it might be...[/color]

I guess you're a real hit at parties. Oh, wait you're German- I get it. Carry on. :wink:[/quote]

Hey Green Witch!!
I don't believe Bohne is German, she just lives there.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:58 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
Bohne wrote:

Boring as it might be...[/color]

I guess you're a real hit at parties. Oh, wait you're German- I get it. Carry on. :wink:

Hey Green Witch!!
I don't believe Bohne is German, she just lives there.[/quote]

I thought Bohne was a he. Tough to tell from the avatar.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:25 pm
I'm reminded of an uninhibited friend of mine who got on an elevator, just as a woman told her toddler, "Leave that alone or I'll rip your arm out of the socket and beat you over the head with the bloody stump."

First my friend laughed.

Then she realized the woman was serious.

Then she lectured the woman.

Then the elevator stopped.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:28 pm
and.......? Then what?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:58 pm
Yeah, I want to know too! Was there a fight?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 05:10 pm
And then?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
My friend is nearly six feet tall and can make a very dignified exit.

However from that day forward every so often she would look at her dear daughters and announce, "If you don't shape up, I'm going to tear your arm out of the socket and beat you to death with the bloody stump."

I understand that when faced with ornery behavior, her daughters have been known to threaten....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:26 pm
My mother wasn't in labour at all - I came via cesarean a couple of days to early.

That was due to the fact that the laeding surgeon/gynaecologist was going on a seminar two days later. Since he wanted to get my father on his hospital, he liked to be personally at my birth ...

That wsn't very common in the late 40's. But having her first child with 30 (as my mother) was ... even young. (I had the youngest mother in my primary school class.)

I blame all my negative sides to that .... and my father stayed at his old hospital the following 37 years Laughing
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:33 pm
...from his mother's womb untimely ripp'd!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:40 pm
Hmm.

But the main point certainly is that my psyche was badly damaged:
- being foreced to come out to early,
- missing to get slowly from the warm dark to the cold and evil light of the world.

That made me so withdrawn, embarrassed, modest, quiet etc
0 Replies